Bad Feeling About RARA and New Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Feeling About RARA and New Direction

Ok, read the Reno Gazette article regarding Mike Houghton's departure. RARA board member Joey Scolari provide reason for cutting back.

That's the scary part, Scolaris has been a local grocery operation and has been a great corporate citizen. I just think the younger generation that runs Scolaris doesn't understand how to work in a competitive environment. In our Northern Nevada booms years they grew by leaps and bounds. Then as competition came in, economies stressed things changed.

Good example was the Lemmon Valley Scolaris, they built the store in a growing market, saw the trend and capitalized on it. Only game in town for years. Our little Country Market on Lemmon Drive folded.

Years later came Raleys, then Smiths, and then Wally World.

I became a loyal Scolaris customer, both my kids got their first jobs there, all the checkers were like family. Then slowly they started dropping items, reducing inventory. I'd go over to Raleys and they would have it. Eventually, I noticed Raleys had additional items that Scolaris never carried. So over time I became a loyal Raleys customer. There must have been others like me since eventually Scolaris closed the Lemmon Valley store.

So to make a long story short, there comes a time when you need to roll up your sleeves and take the competition on. Refresh your business model vs stick your tail between your legs and run!

Let's hope there are some competitive minded people taking RARA in a new directions????

I have doubts about Joey Scolari using his past business sense to lead RARA in a new direction!

Re: Bad Feeling About RARA and New Direction

In todays business world, it's becoming harder and harder for the small independent business man to survive..........why? simple, they lack the buying power of the bigger stores. A small guy might be able to buy a railroad car of paper towels, where as the big box store guys can buy the whole train load.........and that equates to cheaper prices on the shelves. Todays consumers are more drawn to cheaper prices then to being loyal to the local guy down the street. I know nothing about Mr Scolari, but evidently he was a very succesful business man for many years. My hat is off to any small independent business man that has survived in the last 10-15 years against the big guys.......so from my point of view, I wouldn't be so harsh on the man....he's obviously been a supporter of the Air Races and like all of us want them to succeed in the future. Instead of having a "bad feeling" perhaps we need to take a deep breath and wait and see what changes the board has in store for the future of the Races.........after all they've been around for 50 years under other leadership and thru turbulent times.......perhaps the current board has the insight to keeping the Races around for another 50 years. Just my 2 cents
    Brian

Comment

True and untrue , that same Solaris store that closed also reopened this year with a private owner and its called the grocery outlet who was an awesome sponsor for my flyboyz race team this year , they GAVE us enough food that we were able to feed the whole f1 hanger for the entire week

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
        True and untrue , that same Solaris store that closed also reopened this year with a private owner and its called the grocery outlet who was an awesome sponsor for my flyboyz race team this year, they GAVE us enough food that we were able to feed the whole f1 hanger for the entire week
        Happy New year,

Both stores that relocated there (Grocery Outlet/Big Lots) appear to have a lot more traffic than I ever noticed before.

Really cool that they stepped in and sponsored your race team/FI Hanger : -).

That explains all the plates of food when I walked through the hanger : -)

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f1-69 View Post
          True and untrue , that same Solaris store that closed also reopened this year with a private owner and its called the grocery outlet who was an awesome sponsor for my flyboyz race team this year , they GAVE us enough food that we were able to feed the whole f1 hanger for the entire week
          Ali and I are good friends with the Corporate owners of Grocery Outlet. We were just discussing further support of air race teams for 2014. They do a ton of support for events held by the local schools here in Lafayette. Eric will be attending Reno for his first time this year.
          Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 01-01-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X