Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RARA SHAKEUP PART II

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
    Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. It was very clear the Unlimiteds (stockers), were not coming back with Mike in charge.
    It was? I know there is dissent among the UL's over purse amount and distribution, but... I'm unaware of any lines of that sort being drawn.. What is your source?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I began getting to know Mike in about '02 At First, I was quite put-off by some of his decisions. But with time, I found him to be not only knowledgeable, and friendly, but also a great asset to the community. I gave him a hug last year, and just told him 'thank-you' for his efforts in keeping the races alive!

I respect the move made by RARA at this time, and wish them the best as they work toward 2014.

And best of luck and respect toward Mr. Houghton.

- Joseph

Comment

I'm curious how many of the people who are 'celebrating' MH's departure with unkind words about his last 15 years perhaps don't remember how 'fun' it was dealing with names like Jerry Duty, Thornton Audrain, and Frank Kinnell.

Anyone? How many of you 'super fans' who are bitching even KNOW who those people were, let alone were around during their eras? I had first-hand dealings with the latter two, and observed the actions of the first. I know of what I speak.

But yet, the event made it to 50 years. You may not like them, but they are the ones who have let it be possible for ALL of us to enjoy the third week of September. You don't HAVE to like them. But you should thank them. All of them.

Keep that in perspective.

As an air race journalist I worked with Mike Houghton during his entire term. I found him open to discuss any topics with me any time I asked him. "We" may not understand why he made some of the decisions that he did, and a lot of the racers may never forgive him for the last year, but he kept the boat afloat during a very tenuous time...and for those who 'think' they know better but have never actually tried to put on an airshow like this...yeah, walk a mile in his shoes and let me know how you like it.

Thanks, Mike.
        Last edited by Big_Jim; 12-30-2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The thing that bugs me the most about the "restructuring" is that anyone would get the idea that anything "wrong" was done by anyone.

Problem: We're out of money and the event is in trouble. Solution: Fire some people, reduce the daily outflow of cash to zero or near zero for personnel.. OK, where do we go from here?

When Mike H came on board, it was his task to take hold of the daily operations of the RARA.. Now, it seems that we don't need any control over daily operations.. We're being told there is a "restructuring" but exactly *what* is being restructured? Quite literally, there's barely anyone left to run the show, save the Board of Directors and their advisory board.

I await more information on this new plan... I wish them (RARA) well and sincerely hope that there is, indeed, a plan, beyond simply cutting costs for a short term solution to a long term problem.

Quite frankly, they did Mike a favor making a decision for him that he's tried to make for himself over the years... (he tried to retire a few years ago but the event needed him so he stayed)...

Mike, I know you read here from time to time, big hugs for you!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I need to express my appreciation for Mike Houghton and the professional job that he has done. I've been a pylon judge for 13 years and have been attending the races since 1970. He very much reminds me of a few Chiefs that I worked with during my nearly 30 years in law enforcement. They would do anything for you but if you did something stupid or screwed up then you would pay for it (rightly so!). Mike had the power as the boss and ran RARA the way he thought it should be run. Most likely not everyone agreed (very common for the person at the top) with everything that he did and the board felt that changes had to be made. I know several of the board members and although I'm sorry to see the change in leadership, I respect their decision. I definitely don't have any inside knowledge but assume that the board decided to go in a different direction. I wish Mike the best and hope to see him in June at PRS and September. He was a real professional and was 100% dedicated to the Reno Air Races. I'm sorry to see him leave as not too many people can have an impact on an event as he did.

There are several huge challenges ahead for the air races and I hope that RARA steps up and takes them to a new level. Most all of the AAFO group would gladly help out in any way to see that the races continue.
            Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left!
            Mike

Comment

I agree with Wayne. I think Mike did a pretty good job with what he had to work with. I think 9-11 was the beginning of the money problems and it snowballed from there to 2011. Guess time will tell if the Board of Directors can pull this off. I personally have my doubts, but hopefully things will shake out.

Frank C.

Comment

As a fan attending the races since 1974 and watching the different ways the head honchos ran RARA I have to say MH did a good job. And the old saying (you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time) comes into play here. I hate to see him go and am wondering if the board can fill his shoes, only time will tell. I worry about the future of the races and hope they can pull them off again. It will be a sad sad day in America if we lose them. There is nothing in aviation that will ever replace the races, the planes, the pilots, owners and dedicated race crews that gave their all.
                Ron

Comment

Who are the board members, what's their background and how long have they been on the board?
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                    Who are the board members, what's their background and how long have they been on the board?
                    For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Thank you sir. Not sure why I just didn't look there to begin with.
                      Sky Critter

Comment

"dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

go back a month or two ago and read the posts when RARA announced they needed to raise $500,000 by the middle of Dec or shut down. If the board hires a new President/CEO, I hope he or she is receptive to many channels of input including ideas expressed on aafo.

Comment

Likely won't be enough for all you nay-sayers out there but the attached article does spell out the fiscal issues at RARA from 10,000ft.

The Reno Air Racing Association, citing ongoing financial woes, has opted to do without the services of its longtime leader.

Trying times ahead. Trust the board can take the helm and chart a course.
                            Owen Ashurst
                            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                              Likely won't be enough for all you nay-sayers out there but the attached article does spell out the fiscal issues at RARA from 10,000ft.

The Reno Air Racing Association, citing ongoing financial woes, has opted to do without the services of its longtime leader.

Thanks for sharing that link.

This will be the 3rd year that there has been uncertainty as to whether the air race will actually happen until early into the year. Reading this it may be March before we find out what the insurance bill is for 2014s event and if its too high well then thats it, no funds in reserve to handle anything.

This uncertainty does greatly effect attendance in itself, so right there we are set up for a loss for 2014. And even more troubling is the fact, that with no funds they probably can't book or sign any contracts??

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post

Thanks for the link. That is the most complete outline of the issues I have seen so far.
                                Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X