P-39 Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P-39 Racer

...figured this was a good excuse to post some pix...

...N40A at Reno '72 ...and Dick Martin taxing for takeoff at Santa Ana (SNA) June 1959
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sledge39; 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks Sledge39
      I never get tired of seeing photos my big love, Mr. Mennen. I'll add some if I can figure out how.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Love seeing the photos of Mr. Mennen. What is the exact reason it didn't race at Reno 1972? What do you think the lap speeds would have been? Over 400?

Comment

As I recall, Race 21 was lightened by one ton and flew like it. The motor was breathed on by hydroplane mechanics. Also, the reported expenses exceeded $100K in 1971/2 money. The Mennon folks really wanted to race!
          Unfortunately I also recall that an "exception" meeting was held to determine if the aircraft and team could or would be allowed to compete after having arrived late for qualifying. It was reported at the time that a certain Bearcat driver/owner was the sole descenter of all the race pilots. Ugly! However, Mira was allowed to fly demonstration laps each day which brought about an interesting question: Could the plane really be fast if it flew a trajectory and banked at 90 degrees on each turn? (That yo-yoing would have posed a danger to all racers).
          Maybe not competitive or effective but it sure as hell looked great. Each turn seemed to be a contest between gravity and pilot skill. It was exciting and yet maddening to know that Mira would not be allowed to compete because of some dumbass petulance by a pilot with a grudge.
          I'm just sayin'....

Comment

Excellent photos! Thank-you!

Comment

I was at Reno when Mr Mennen arrived. Was the first P-39 I ever saw fly. I loved the paint colors and scheme on it. As I remember, and I could be wrong, because that was a long time ago.....but I don't remember it flying during the races. Seems like it landed and that's the last I saw of her. Would really enjoy hearing more about what went on at Reno with her. Also, any info on the Larry Havens P-63.
              I remember (can't remember her name) the red P-63 that use to race at Reno too. Some years later it ended up at Stockton CA owned and flown by a fellow that I think was in way over his head as far as flying ability. I was at Madera one year when during the briefing pilots were told to only turn off at the end of the runway....well, this guy makes a mid field turn and a P-51 clipped him or he clipped the P-51. He didn't make many friends that day.....was also cited by the FAA....I believe he sold the plane not long after that. Anyway..would enjoy hearing about that P-63 too. Thanks for the info.
              Brian

Comment

That would be Sandberg's P-63 "Tipsy Too" (named for it's alcohol running engine I am told), later Mike Smith's "What Price Speed", then Bob Reiser's "Cobra" before going overseas and being lost in a crash.
                I met Bob at a Travis airshow when he had recently purchased the plane. He had a huge scrapbook of his military flying and had a lot of experience in them as far as I saw. I only spent a few hours with him so who knows.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Good YouTube video on the history of Sandberg's "Tipsy Miss" in the 1980s.

Bell P63 King CobraImmat. / Registr. : N62822N° série / C-N: 33-978Pilote / Pilot : John LARCOMBEConstruit en 1945 à Wheatfield (New-York) et immatriculé 44-...

Comment

Sure would love to see the Palm Springs Air Museum's P-63 "Pretty Polly" rounding the pylons!

John Maloney, Planes of Fame Air Museum pilot, takes a Bell P-63 Kingcobra up for a test flight. The P-63 is Palm Springs P-63 'Pretty Polly' flown in for th...

Comment

Might anyone be able to weigh in with some solid information on Crazyhorse (Crazy Horse) and the potential it might have had?

Some photos would be nice if anyone has any.

Comment

That would be Sandberg's P-63 "Tipsy Too"
                        Oops, Meant Tipsy Miss.
                        Tipsy Too was his mustang.
                        Oldtimers setting in.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                          I was at Reno when Mr Mennen arrived. Was the first P-39 I ever saw fly. I loved the paint colors and scheme on it. As I remember, and I could be wrong, because that was a long time ago.....but I don't remember it flying during the races. Seems like it landed and that's the last I saw of her. Would really enjoy hearing more about what went on at Reno with her.
                          Warbird Digest (one of my favorite aviation magazines that always has been supportive of Reno) had a great article on "The Flying Czech". According to Mira he actually flew a qualifying lap in 1972 but race officials claimed that he had arrived after the deadline and had no record of him qualifying.
                          Random Air Blog

Comment

'72 was my first as well; so glad I got to see her in the Mennan paint scheme. Also,somebody help with the decades-old fog here, didn't Ed Messick fly her in a military paint scheme during the "Tora,Tora,Tora" shows? Always like the lines of the Cobras.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                              Warbird Digest (one of my favorite aviation magazines that always has been supportive of Reno) had a great article on "The Flying Czech". According to Mira he actually flew a qualifying lap in 1972 but race officials claimed that he had arrived after the deadline and had no record of him qualifying.
                              I don't recall seeing the P-39 in Tora,Tora,Tora but Messick did enter it at Reno in the late '70's in military paint scheme.

Comment

...P-63 racers......Lefty Gardner at Reno '72...

...coming soon...N9009, 'Race 90' photos...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X