Competition For The Reno Air Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition For The Reno Air Races

It looks like another group is taking the steps to host Air Racing. Many of the things they plan to do are exactly the sort of things I and others have been advocating to improve Reno. While this group is based in Europe, if they can prove a viable business model, it would take little to jump the Pond and start a series here.

There are two sites up, one for a series of events based on F1, and another for a cross country plus destination event:

http://airracef1.com/

http://airracecc.com/

Re: Competition For The Reno Air Races

I talked to the guy behind this at Reno. His name is Jeff Zaltman and he attempted to promote pylon races in the Middle East a few years ago with planes like Extras; Smokey Young of IF1 participated.

BillRo

Comment

So is this the start of bigger things to come for our beloved sport.

Jet class demo in NZ in 2014, and F1 races picking back up in Europe.

I know there are a couple of F1 races in England every year. Might this turn into a international event with Reno being the grand daddy final in Sept. Even if it is only for the F1 class, it would be something very cool!.

Comment

Practically, it would be the F-1 class that could support it. Relative cost and portability.
        And it would be super cool to see several races a year to follow as fans, culminating in a true international points race in Reno.
        Then you could still have a National Champion here with a World Champion based on points.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

What ever happened to Formula V? The first air race I ever saw was a Formula V event that was part of the Dayton air show in about 1990 or '91. As I recall, it was sponsored by Powerade, or Gatorade, or something like that.... Yeah, another sugary drink, but it was pylon racing

Comment

A friend of mine was in the one of the last races (and accident) of Formula V. At the end of the race on the climb out, another aircraft flew into the bottom of his aircraft. Chris barely survived, and the other pilot died later. The only thing that saved his life was a engine safety cable, that kept the CG of the aircraft as it pancaked in. He doesn't remember the "landing". It was seven years of surgeries, in order for him to walk unassisted for short distances. Though we still would (jokingly) give him hell for killing Formula V. He even built another Sonerai trying to restart the class, but most of the pilots either sold their aircraft, no interest in racing, or have taken the eternal flight.

Last edited by phoneguy; 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X