Furias 2012 qual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furias 2012 qual

Hey guys I finally got around to putting together the qual and crash landing of Furias from last year. It was such and awesome airplane that Al, Dave and the rest of the crew worked their asses off prepping for the big event. I still feel gutted for Matt and the whole team, so much time and money was spent on the plane to have such a small part failure bring it to an end like that, on a positive note Matt Jackson made it out of the plane with only a few bumps and bruises.

Also, thanks goes out to Mr. Brad Haskin for letting me use his pictures of the recovery!!

This video is from 2012 when team Furias finished their several year resto/rebuild work and arrived on the ramp at Reno with this beautiful, freshly painted ...
    Jason Schillereff

Re: Furias 2012 qual

I miss her so much!!!! Thanks for the video though as hesitant as i was to watch it, well put together!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Good shooting there Jason! Wow, Matt did an outstanding job bringing her in, just fantastic!

Comment

As usual, Jason: outstanding video work. I was in the stands when he landed and yes, Matt did a skillful job of getting her down. So sad; she's such a beautiful bird. Maybe "Phast Phoenix" should be applied to her when she comes back.

Comment

Jason, Great video. I had thought that after not seeing anything for over a year the moment was not recorded. I was however not to upset if that was the case. It appears I was wrong however. Thanks for the great effort on your part to make it part of air racing history at Stead. It is painful to watch because the plane was winner in my opinion. I still think it would have been the plane to beat. I qualified on 3100 HP and had over1000 Hp left. I did not run full power because I was told by the ground crew my tail wheel was hanging and the plane was buffeting pretty bad during qualifying. I wanted to get a time in the event we had to work on her to fix the gear. We all know what happens when you don't get qualified, something I just went through this year. The sad part is the gear collapsed and we all know the final outcome. The new owner has a real jewel of a plane. I am sure someday that it might even be the plane to beat.

Matt J

Comment

Thanks for the great video.

JH

Comment

One of those (as a spectator) "Oh crap" moments.
              It was always a surprise to me how much damage was done considering how gently Matt handled the landing.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                One of those (as a spectator) "Oh crap" moments.
                It was always a surprise to me how much damage was done considering how gently Matt handled the landing.
                I don't know for sure if it is true but at the recovery, someone said that a strap broke during the recovery and the airplane was dropped an unknown distance....

IF true, it might explain a lot.....
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Is Furias still in Ione?

Comment

Thanks for posting all the videos. This one is particularly heartbreaking as Furias looked so awesome. Great piloting to bring her back Mr Jackson. Some day...
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Thanks everyone much appreciated and thanks for adding to the discussion Matt!!
                      Reever, she was purchased sight unseen by the current owner of "Miss Merced" and from what I've heard he wasn't too happy when he got it home as it's way more work than he thought.
                      Jason
                      Jason Schillereff

Comment

Thank you Jason,
                        "Sight unseen"? OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Steve C.

Comment

Working...
                        X