Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the crowd funding campaign begins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And the crowd funding campaign begins.....

Don't get the "show me the books" mentality. This isn't the Feds we're talking about here, guys. Likely no one who regularly contributes to this blog has a full understanding of what it takes to put on this event. Not even close. I know I don't..

Is every single person on this blog entitled to their opinion? Absolutely. If that opinion conveys the air races in a negative light and casts doubt upon the operations of RARA as an entity, does that help or hurt RARA in public arena? You do the math...

Look, we're all wear big boy pants here. All I'm saying is the constant drone of dissension, divisiveness, and doubt does nothing to help the cause you (in a general sense) purport to cherish.

If by casting a cloud over RARA's efforts to recover from what was by all accounts a catastrophic and financial death-nail, you feel you're doing this sport a service...go ahead...fire away.

Careful what you wish for...
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Going a little deeper on my earlier post. I was at work so had to be brief. What Air Racing needs is something that compliments Reno but does not over shadow Reno and as Phil Goforth said before; it gets more interest in all classes. We need to get together as owners, pilots, and crews and find a place where we can do something like Speed Week at Bonneville. All the FAI records are done by weight and power plant type. All the records that live throughout aviation history. They range from pure speed, to altitude and everywhere else in between. Why not have a fly-in where it's all about breaking records?! Think about it.

For one it would bring aircraft and pilots that may not run around the sticks with 8 other aircraft. It would also allow aircraft that may fall in between NCAR rules such as a O-200 powered airplane that might not meet IF1's formula. Think of the R&D value as well. You want to prove that your hotrod engined L-29 is safe; do it at this event. Want to show proof of concept of running something other than an O-200 in an IF1; here's your chance. What will Wasabi do with a IO-??? stuffed in it; here you go. You own a Turbine Thunder Mustang; yeah we got a class for that too! The rules are already written by the FAI and are very clear. You go for this record at this weight and this power plant type.

Back in the Golden Age of air racing our forefather's didn't just race once a year; they went out and set record after record after record. The constant media made them the heroes of aviation of their day and people came to see those daring young men and their flying machines. What else does that bring… Sponsors!

As a retired professional extreme athlete I can tell you this. Most any company out there will give major sponsorship money to the top 1% of any sport/class. Monster, Redbull and Oakley are three that come to mind. Now you say "wow 1% that isn't a whole lot of people". Well there are companies that tend to be in a huge dick swinging contest with those three. Once they see an airplane painted Black and Green with Monster Energy plastered all over it; well by golly they got have one too. Look at every sport from bicycles to F1 cars allllllll the way to the ski industry. Off road racing, Rally, Motocross, skydiving, base jumping; the list goes on and on. Who are all the top athletes and teams sponsored; Monster, Redbull, and Oakley. Now just because you are not the 1% does not mean you're out of the game. You may have to settle for another energy drink company this year or maybe Smith Optics. The sad part is that the people of air racing have kinda given up. I talk to people in air racing all the time and I get the same story "Oh they won't talk to us we are a niche market". Yet when I ask "have you tried" the most common answer is no.

There are trade shows for this folks and none of us attend them. Well I do and I can't say I've ever seen another air racer at them. It's where these marketing folks do their business and set budgets for the next year. If you aren't at them you will be in the "B budget". ICAS is one example of that in the aviation industry but their are others. I made money riding a freaking bicycles for ten years and I wasn't really all that good. Top five in CA and top 20 in the U.S. The hardest part every year was finding someone willing to foot the bill. It was almost always about some guy or gal I met at a trade show that I just hit it off with. The results came second 9 times out of 10.

Sorry Wayne if this went a bit off topic tonight I have been corking up a lot of the bitching about what is wrong with air racing. We can't just sit back and blame RARA anymore. Everybody involved needs to step it up in so many ways. Other sports don't solely depend on their sanctioning bodies as air racing does. Do you think Jack Roush sits around and waits for NASCAR to find money for him to get to the races or for that matter show up.

Comment

WBK.... you have the key to the site... say whatever you want....
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
          Don't get the "show me the books" mentality. ......

Careful what you wish for...
          God Judge, I hope we're not the only two who get this!

Ain't like they have not had some extreme challenges thrown at them over the past few years!

Someone, or "someone's" got let go from RARA recently, we get this message and hear that it's due to an extreme need to meet a VERY REAL CASH DEADLINE... Costs had to be cut, positions were eliminated to cut payroll expenses.. always an "easy" short term solution for any business that reaches a "cashflow shortfall"..

Didn't take long, here and there on the net, begin some "opinionations" that the "firings" were due to some sort of need to change gears and go in a different direction... I even read somewhere that a photographer thought he'd been shortchanged for opportunities, due to something that was wrong within the RARA system, and that this might be key to why we are seeing what's going on..

Tell ya what..

There is no shell game going on, this is just pure need cash desperation here! RARA could barely afford to attend ICAS this year, where, traditionally, they would be signing acts like the Blues or, the Birds.. Truth is.. they CAN NOT afford a big time jet team.. Even though, the Birds REALLY WANT TO COME TO RENO '14 and RARA knows that they would be KEY to achieving financial success for the year, ya can't just invite someone like the T Birds or Blues, even though they fly for free, unless you can be sure you can foot the bill for the expenses that the event has to pay to have the FREE show that the birds or blues are..

I'll go on record that I do not think the "crowd funding" thing was very well thought out, but might be an example of "all that's left"... you're out of money, so you let folks go.. then, you're still out of money.. Oh s h I t.. you're also out of IDEAS!

Tough S H I T that the folks you let go were those that were pretty good at beating the bushes to get dollars into the fund..

I'll tell you seriously, this gig is seriously in danger of ending.

When it's all said and done, I'd rather be able to say I did everything I could to move it forward than be able to say... "see... I told you I was right"

Open the books later

Unless you like autopsy viewing..

Any of you asking for books truly think that this would help ensure we have racing in the next few years?

EVEN IF there was HUGE fraud, tons of money was being put in pockets..

Would opening the books save the event?

Would be nice if there was a ton of money that was found to be rolling out of the event ..

S HIT I get tired of reading where someone has an "OPINION" and then, see it get beat into a sort of "fact"...

Like this thread.. "open the books!!" like the villagers coming down the hill with their torches in hand!

There must be something to reveal..

After all these years, seeing all the up's and down's ... I just can't get some of you ...

Hey.. all just my slanted view here..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Actually Wayne, "open the books" would be the final straw IF there was something going on. Loss of faith and all of that.
            Air Judge, I DO get what it takes, though not necessarily the scale of the event, which makes the logistics mind boggling, and I agree with you on the negative waves.
            Per WBK, I have been to truck rallies, Baja rallies, arena cross, you name it (as a security weenie) and have always been struck by the total overload of Monster, Red Bull and such. Seems like they are throwing a lot of money around as everyone has a patch, sticker, etc. on their ride. The kids and adults love the noise, love the "stars" and all have their favorites. A nice chunk of change passes hands for souveniers and gedunk. They line up for autograph sessions form people I have never heard of.
            Around here, you know a month in advance when Arena cross or Gravedigger will be in town, SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY.
            If half that energy, interest and sponsorship could be channeled into NCAR it would be some event!
            Not bashing anyone and don't have an answer but there has to be a way.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Wayne wrote,
              Any of you asking for books truly think that this would help ensure we have racing in the next few years?
              EVEN IF there was HUGE fraud, tons of money was being put in pockets..
              Would opening the books save the event?
              Would be nice if there was a ton of money that was found to be rolling out of the event...
              Well,….. yes, if there was fraud by RARA in the management of the NCAR event, and that was revealed, then plugging the hole may be the key to future financing and sponsorship. Please note I really couldn't find anyone saying "there may be fraud" at RARA in this thread. While a few posters ventured that opening the books to "someone who knows how to take an event that has this much money changing hands", might reveal "something" that could be fixed, saving the NCAR? There must be a point where there is “nothing-to-lose”?

Jeez, these guys and gals have produced the NCAR for 50 years. My R/C club produced a large annual event for 25 straight years. There was staff-burnout, increased City fees, fewer vendors, and increasing fees from all suppliers, good-ol-boy mentality, complacency, internal club member squabbles and fights about how to get things done. After 25 years, we called it quits. After seeing what RARA did to push through the ramifications of 2011, I have NO DOUBT RARA does not want to quit, but the challenges of producing the event have evidently caught-up to their capabilities and resources, and they need help.

So, this is our "perfect storm". The 2008 economic downturn, our 2011 debacle, declining fan base, unlimited/warbird group instability, declining participants, government sequestration fallout. Desperate times deserve desperate measures. To not mention these realities, is the same as denying their existance, denial does not help us.

AirJudge wrote,
              Look, we're all wear big boy pants here. All I'm saying is the constant drone of dissension, divisiveness, and doubt does nothing to help the cause you (in a general sense) purport to cherish.
              What you percieve as a "constant drone of dissension, divisiveness and doubt", I percieve as a gift of ideas and creative concepts that could save the NCAR event. Having blind faith in RARA is noble and honorable, but at this point, the winds-of-change blow very strong, the storm is upon us all. I don’t know what the answer is to save the NCAR, but I gotta believe that the more ideas we have on the table, the closer we are to finding one that will be the answer. Thanks again for this forum Wayne, because this is one of the premier sites where public, fan based ideas can be seen, and hopefully considered.

My name is Glen Merritt, and I love air racing.
              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Hey Guys
                Why don't you write a polite letter to Mike H. at RARA, with your suggestions or ideas? They don't sit around reading your posts. Or, if you can, make an appointment to share your ideas. They also have e-mail and FAX.
                The crew of volunteers I work with have sent requests and suggestions for improvement of their jobs. The suggestions were heard and adopted. Try it - you might like it.
                Betty
                Last edited by ShermB; 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling errors.

Comment

Betty,

I've been meaning to send you these. If you can get the others to Mr. Law and Mr. Hoover.

It was a pleasure to meet you and give you one or Section 3 souvenirs.

Thanks

Hans

Comment

Wayne, I'm sure we're not to only two…suspect we are in the silent majority, though and therein lies part of the problem. I attended ICAS again this year (mainly to help build up my Air Boss business but to also spread the gospel for RARA). Only rep from RARA that I saw was Mike H...may have been others but in the four days I was there, he was the only one. May have been A/C owners or racers there but I didn’t run across any. I will say RARA got some good pub in receiving the inaugural " Wingman Award" presented during a general membership event. Mike spoke briefly about RARA and what it meant to the organization.

Tend to agree the Crowntilt approach to funding this immediate need feels something less than top-shelf. A good idea for grass-roots attempts to raise $$$ over a period of time but given the amount of $$$ required here and very short timeline, one hopes and trusts there are other measures underway that we’re not privy to that are employed to ensure the $500K is on the books in time. I believe that to be the case…

Clearly the long term survival of Reno, at least as we know it, is not secure under the current funding dynamics. Things must change to ensure we race well beyond 2014. Perhaps the measures the RARA Board is taking will help in that regard. It’s very early in that process but unfortunately, the clock is ticking and the fuse is getting shorter and shorter.

Reasonable people can disagree. I’ve never been one to drink the Kook-Aid and be led around by the nose by anyone. And it’s clear many others on this site are of the same mindset. All well and good and as it should be. But what there can be no disagreement on is RARA is in trouble…deep trouble. Some of it of their own doing…quite so, perhaps. History can be an unkind and unblinking teacher. That said, much of what RARA is experiencing is a result of outside forces and circumstances beyond it direct and sole control.

As ShermB says and I stated earlier in this post, channel your ideas and suggestions to RARA directly. They do listen and respond. That would seem a better use of your energies. Ideas and concepts are possible solutions…RARA would welcome those with open arms. But it’s lost on me how all the nay-saying and negativity can be construed as a gift of ideas or creative concepts.

Again, not being a goody two-shoes here. RARA has enough folks who can blow their horn. Just putting forth the “idea and concept” that this is not the time to be taking pot-shots. RARA’s is on a wing and a prayer…how ‘bout we do what we can to make sure she rolls out on “three in the green.”
                    Owen Ashurst
                    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I love Wild Bills Post, and again I share much feeling with Wayne.
                      The key to what WBK has said, is in regards to the records. Yes, many different records, within many categories. To be a World record holder, certainly carries some weight with sponsorship, yes?

It has struck me also, that a big part of the problem is probably 'we the people'. Perhaps we don't reach out enough in self-promotion of our beloved sport? I think most of us probably have fairly large networks of acquaintance, friendships, and family. Many in our pool of acquaintance probably don't have any interest in aviation, but then again, perhaps some do? Maybe few could be possible avenues of contact in relation to sharing our passion?

At Reno in '12, I frequently gave over the phone updates to a friend in Hollywood. He works on the set of various well known TV programs, and movies, and is an acro pilot out of Van Nuys. He asked me during the races (and he's never been able to attend...yet) "why doesn't this thing have some type of network coverage!!?!!" He expressed that he had leverage to begin pulling strings.... Seriously guys, if the Red Bull races can 'look good' on the screen (and they do), why can't we?

Yesterday I spoke with a friend in Sweden. He's a cook at a big upper class restaurant there. He told me..next year he's making the trip to come to the races, hell or high water! He hasn't been yet, either.

A third gentleman in Tallahassee, is dying to get to Stead for the 51st. Once again, he has not yet been to the races..

With my Dad's passing, and poor health in '12, it was my Brother in Law that we snagged into coming was us for race week. After attending twice, now he's hooked, and it's becoming a tradition for him, and his family.

You see, I believe if we all reached out. We mind find influential people who are seriously interested. Even within the younger generation, such as myself. Maybe this can snow-ball? At the very least, if everyone brought a friend in 2014, (and there will be a 2014!), it would make an enormous difference!

Just thinking out loud here..
                      - Joseph

Comment

Maybe RARA should contact the Hollywood Pilots,NASCAR Pilots, PGA Pilots, in fact all sports people that are pilots.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                          I love Wild Bills Post, and again I share much feeling with Wayne.
                          The key to what WBK has said, is in regards to the records. Yes, many different records, within many categories. To be a World record holder, certainly carries some weight with sponsorship, yes?
                          Sure it all counts; every last bit. Results, magazine ads, videos featured in (this was a big one). How many videos can we say PM was featured in this year or any other racer for that matter; oh yeah NONE. Go to Netflix and check out how many sporting events of various types appear in the special interest category, or Amazon instant view for that matter. Every year I went to the first bike race of the year that was always the big media frenzy. Every night of the event there would be a video premiere each night of the prior season. The producer of each film had a different style of shooting, view points, and teams they focussed on. The fact that we don't have anything but a few fan shot videos is sad in it's own right when it comes to getting sponsors. Look what From Dust to Glory did for bringing back the popularity of the Baja 1000. If you haven't seen it you must check it out!

This is what we need more than anything. One movie like Air Racers 3D and nothing for years does nothing to help the sport grow. There needs to be one or more documentaries each and every year! In fact if anyone out there has raw video footage from the last three years and want to help on a little project I can put you in contact with the producer. What the heck hang on and I'll see if I can get him to post here and explain himself.
                          Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Thunder Over Reno.........sorry, couldn't resist.
                            Brian
                            PS.......I'm for whatever it takes to promote the Races and keepem going. Perhaps a letter to RARA whould be beneficial.

Comment

Article in the RGJ:"Reno Air Races CEO: 2014 event should proceed 'full speed ahead'"

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                                Thunder Over Reno.........sorry, couldn't resist.
                                Brian
                                PS.......I'm for whatever it takes to promote the Races and keepem going. Perhaps a letter to RARA whould be beneficial.
                                In my opinion the last two movies had awesome camera work that was ruined by staged story lines. Example... In both movies a F7F was one of the faster planes on the course. Quit staging this stuff to make it look cooler for the love of god!

Comment

Working...
                                X