Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the crowd funding campaign begins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And the crowd funding campaign begins.....

Originally posted by ShermB View Post

All you people are doing the math incorrectly cuz you don't have the expense sheet in front of you.
    You are correct. We dont have it. Show it to us. Or better yet show it to someone who knows how to take an event that has this much money changing hands and make the books balance.

According to their site, a 10x10 booth is $550, plus a 20% commission to them. Assuming this is a percentage of gross sales (it doesn't specify but it used to be that way), you need to sell $4000 of product to meet the minimum before you see a clear profit.
    The food vendors are making money, I promise.
    210,000 bodies come in and out of the grounds each race week. The vendors wouldn't be there if they were not making money.

A minimum of $550 per booth plus 20% of gross sales? That a whole bunch of money!!

They also charge $5000 (MINIMUM!) per plane in order to have it sit there in the static display during raceweek.

They also charge $600 per unlimited entrant, $500 per Jet, Sport or T-6, and $400 per Sport or Bipe.

How about the spots in the pits where the corporate jets are and lycoming engines and such? $10,000 to $20,000 per spot.

WHERE IS IT ALL GOING????

My question on this relates to how the money is spent. You're not claiming everyone spends $400 with RARA are you? I can see that as total spend between RARA, vendors at the races, and in the local community. To be fair to RARA, you really have to carve out only the money which lands in their pocket. Tickets and regalia go to them, and I assume they charge license fees to the vendors. Maybe they take a percentage of sales, I don't know.

RARA should be seeing a portion of every dollar spent on site. If they are not then this is truly the most mismanaged event in history.

Dont get me wrong. I want RARA to make tons of money and I want the Races to be profitable. I dont think they are over charging for most things, and I enjoy most all the things they spend the money on. But the fact remains that this doesnt add up.

Someone is making money here, and it's not the people that need to be making it in order to keep the event alive and flourishing.

Comment

To host a weekend car show, we used to rent a portion of a local horse breeding farm called Flag Is Up Farms. It is/was (not sure if he's still alive) owned by Monty Roberts, about whom they made a movie called the Horse Whisperer. The venue was only about $7,000 for four days. We had to rent toilets, showers, tents, outdoor lighting, sound systems, etc. We made deals with beer and food vendors.

The last year we held the event, there were 700 cars in attendance. The joke around the board room was it would have been cheaper to mail everyone a $100 bill and tell them to stay home. Our net was about a $75,000 loss.

Not expressing an opinion whether the races are profitable or not, just allowing that the costs are probably A LOT more than many of us here imagine.
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Lets give RARA some slack here, I'm pretty sure the event of 2011 plays a big part.

Over the years they have done a lot for charity and our community. Makes me proud to have them in my "backyard".

Litigation and Lawyers/Insurance companies. Then throw in bunches of extra hurdles from government hypocrites/yes men.

Like a weak sick cow out in a pasture - who's the happiest - the buzzards/scavengers

Comment

I dont need to look at their books, don't care. heard today Brad Pitt bought a Spitfire and is taking flying lessons.have him do a fly by and land,get out and wave and the money problem is solved. ticket sales would sky rocket!
          I donated for Lefty's plane to be rebuilt, it went across the pond. get Redbull to sponsor the races! no brainer. most fans cant afford a new Plane but we love our racer's!

Comment

I really don't like this "open the books rant" to me, it's a witch hunt.. a flung accusation, without substantiation, it garners curiosity and, wonder and questioning and finally anger..

A guy reads this and, without even knowing why, he gets a negative reaction to Air Racing... "bunch of inept rich guys killing themselves in the desert, worse, using my tax dollars to do it.... KILL IT"

Somebody else had a website a while ago that took that negative track. We're not going to use this site as a vehicle for that demand, period!

I trust that they (RARA) are doing the best they can and I pledge whatever support to the effort that AAFO can..

Despite the desperate financial situation which precipitated the elimination of key positions at RARA, Both Valerie Miller Moore and her husband John Moore have expressed their sincere and undying support to the Air Races. (John Moore, a local contractor has done much, as a volunteer, using his own equipment)

You guys demanding financial records really goes beyond my concept of promoting and supporting a sport.. it implies much, with little substantiation....

Please... I don't want to stifle "free speech" but, I'm also not going to allow unsubstantiated WEBUSATIONS, accusations, which have only the weight of the question of the writer...

If you guys hate the RARA so much, why do you even go?
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I agree with Wayne on this, yet again.

I did a google search this evening for "reno air races". Guess who's #8 on the first page?

That's right... AAFO the very first fan-page listed....

Why should anyone (potential investors, sponsors, media outlets, etc., etc.) find this website, and within minutes read posts made by the so called die-hard fans of the sport, whom often have nothing more that criticism to speak, and a "sky is falling" mentality??

RARA worked hard and diligently to bring the races back (small reminder, Reno is still the only one!!) in 2012. Now just over a year later, surely we the fans could have just a little more appreciation, and a positive outlook.

We will go racing in 2014. Already making my plans...

- Joseph
              Last edited by Idaho_cowpony; 12-06-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

I don’t see any “hate” for RARA from the posters in this thread. Remember,” They” (RARA) are asking for money here.

If I was asking for money from an Angel, or an investment group, and did not show them a detailed, understandable and professional reason that I needed $250,000.00, I would be laughed out of the room.

We all make poor business decisions at some point or another. I don’t “hate” RARA, or the NCAR event because they decided to go the crowd funding route, but I also see this crowd funding effort as unprofessional, and a little bit insulting.
                '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Why should anyone (potential investors, sponsors, media outlets, etc., etc.) find this website, and within minutes read posts made by the so called die-hard fans of the sport, whom often have nothing more that criticism to speak, and a "sky is falling" mentality??

There are so few "die hard race fans" in the world that I would say if you found AAFO, signed-up and became a poster, you are a "bona-fid, die-hard air race fan". Period.

Some of these individuals are going to have contrary opinions, and certainly are going to disagree about issues. In a healthy relationship, that is called a discussion. Criticism is there not to “hurt”, but to hopefully add to the knowledge base so a better outcome is realized.

It is kinda insulting to be called-out for being “negative” during times like this. Seems like any comment challenging RARA is “hurtful” to the whole community. Sorry but that is B.S. Personally I am not here to be a shill for any group. If you want sunny skies, joy-joy, yes-men singing a happy catchy tune 365 days a year, become a NASCAR fan…..

The NCAR event is a fragile thing, yes. But I suspect it is strong enough to withstand some healthy criticism from anonymous posters on a web site chat board.

Grow a pair.
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                    There are so few "die hard race fans" in the world that I would say if you found AAFO, signed-up and became a poster, you are a "bona-fid, die-hard air race fan". Period.

Some of these individuals are going to have contrary opinions, and certainly are going to disagree about issues. In a healthy relationship, that is called a discussion. Criticism is there not to “hurt”, but to hopefully add to the knowledge base so a better outcome is realized.

It is kinda insulting to be called-out for being “negative” during times like this. Seems like any comment challenging RARA is “hurtful” to the whole community. Sorry but that is B.S. Personally I am not here to be a shill for any group. If you want sunny skies, joy-joy, yes-men singing a happy catchy tune 365 days a year, become a NASCAR fan…..

The NCAR event is a fragile thing, yes. But I suspect it is strong enough to withstand some healthy criticism from anonymous posters on a web site chat board.

Grow a pair.
                    Todd Smith

Comment

Grow a pair.
                      'Xactly...!!!

Comment

Grow a pair.
                        I'm "with" you, that is, understanding your desire to express yourself in the first part of your message... But, what to hell is the "grow" comment supposed to do? Usually, that sort of closing comment is written expecting some sort of challenging response..

Keep it civil please!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I like Turtles

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                            I like Turtles

You are hereby crowned King, until further notice.

Your humble servant,

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                              You are hereby crowned King, until further notice.

Your humble servant,

Kevin
                              The man does have a way with words......
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well...just a rant here but it seems silly to me that when I tell people that I race a plane at Reno they always say you fly in between those inflatable pylons ......red bull .....and I always give the same response " no those pussies run one at a time we "RACE" 8 at a time." So my real problem is this, why is it that my race has been going 50 years strong and I have to explain to people that don't know about it....it's like red bull and they understand, red bull is only like 10 years old WTF....we need to market younger crowds , find more sponsors and get someone to run this **** like they know what there doing.then we wouldn't need to have our hands out like a bunch of obamas . Then take better care of the people that are making it happen ,pilots,crews,mx instead of us getting there and getting the your lucky we let you race here bs.

Comment

Working...
                                X