Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad News Out of RARA

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    The email to the pilots and owners was very nice.
    I usually wind up getting those forwarded to me, although this time, no so.. An email from Mike Houghton told me that they planned on having something up for public consumption by noon today, unless I can't find it, that was missed.

I hope this is all for the best, the "next step" shall we say but god, ya have to feel for Val! That woman, and her husband and entire family LIVED for the races! They were her baby and damn did that woman watch over them with all her heart and soul! I will miss working with her and her friendship while at the races. She's really a one of a kind!

Looking forward to the future with sad eyes..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Bad News Out of RARA UPDATE

I did get a chance to speak with Valerie tonight and I'll tell you what, this woman is a SOLDIER for the sport of Air Racing! Though she did not see this coming and is disappointed not to be able to serve the races in the same way as the past, she told me she has nothing but full support for the BOD and the sport. Both she and her husband, my good friend John Moore, were sort of a "two for one" package at the races, with much of the ground work necessary for course changes being handled by John, who just happens to have blades, tractors, dump truck, etc. Both of them plan on returning to the races as volunteers this coming September. Like I said, a soldier!

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Comment

Somehow Wayne, I am not surprised at all by Val's response. She and John are class acts who bleed Air Racing...as much or more than any of the rest of us. A brief story, if I might:

I will long remember a beautiful, late Sunday night in the GG pit on 12Sep10, day before qualifications began. Taking nights shots of Jimmy, GG, and the crew. A red Willy's Jeep pulls up with John and Val on board (I had no idea who they were at the time). John started a conversation with me while folks milled around. Ultimately, John took me aside and said, "Hey, you gonna be around a while?" "Sure", I said. He slowly and secretly pulled a ring box from his pocket with a rather large, glittering diamond ring inside and said, "I'm gonna propose to Val while she's sitting in the cockpit of GG and Jimmy and the crew are in on the whole deal. Would you mind taking a few shots?" "Be my pleasure!", I whispered. An great evening of laughter through tears that I was honored to be a part of. Jimmy was gracious as ever...crew had ladders set up for me and free range to go wherever I wanted to shoot the entire evening. Only regret (on a strictly personal note)...after the buzz had calmed down a bit, Jimmy came over to me saying, "Hey Owen...like to hop up and have a seat in her?" To this day, I have NO FRICKIN' idea why I said it but before I could think, "Oh, no thanks, Jimmy. Got heavy boots on and it's getting late for everyone" came outta my mouth. Knucklehead...

Val and John allowed me, a total stranger who just happened to be standing in the right place at the right time, to be a part of one the most special evenings in their lives. And they didn't have to...never forget that...

I have no doubt we'll see Val and John walking the tarmac at Stead again in 2014....they exemplify what makes Reno, Reno for so many people.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
            The email to the pilots and owners was very nice.
            I thought it was a good letter too.

The good news is RARA gets it, if they can't get more Unlimiteds/Warbirds there will be no more Races.

Glad to see them addressing and working on that.

Comment

Will we get to see what the RARA letter/e-mail said?
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Haven't seen the letter from RARA, but I can just imagine a conversation. "We need to get young people involved..." Then somebody brings up their friend, or maybe had been contacted by these hip young people with some great ideas, and...

I understand RARA's problem of building a bigger audience, but if they think they can get young people to show up because of a snazzy young people marketing campaign, I predict ultimate failure.

I'm in an old people industry. We sell parts for classic British sports cars. For the last 20 years we've been bemoaning the aging of our audience. One of my marketing people was hired away by the local symphony for a youth outreach campaign. 18 months on when I ask how it's going...well...not so much.

What do a symphony, old British cars, and air racing have in common? We are increasingly isolated by the fact young people are evolving a different set of interests, and what little money they have is not going to be spent traveling to Reno to check out this air racing thing. Heck, most kids today are unlikely to be able to name two countries who participated in WWII.

Like everyone here, I hope things will be different. Just like with the British cars, I know there will always be at least a trickle of new blood coming in, but I'm not convinced it's just a marketing thing. There are much deeper issues involved. After checking out the web site linked above, all I can say is good luck. Step one, how 'bout making your own web site do something. If I were in the market for a media company today, I would look at this group with a very jaundiced eye.
                No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

While the letter is supposed to be confidential, I've seen it and there is nothing there that needs to be kept eyse only. An attempt is being made to get more airplanes in the field, specifically, addressing the "stock" or near stock warbirds which, for the most part, were missing this year. RARA is reaching out to the pilots/owners for suggestions. Need for more money and efforts to obtain deeper sponsorship also was a topic..

Also budget cuts were stated for some positions being eliminated or employees being furloughed.

All very upbeat and positive! Pretty much sums it up, I don't think I've let anything out of the bag that will get me in trouble...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi Wayne,

I think it's OK to post the letter we received from Mike Houghton. Mike Major sent it out in an email and clearly stated that it was an Open Letter.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                      Hi Wayne,

I think it's OK to post the letter we received from Mike Houghton. Mike Major sent it out in an email and clearly stated that it was an Open Letter.

JC
                      I agree, it's likely I'll get permission, I just go by an unwritten agreement with RARA that I get clearance from them when it's something that they have not posted on their site..

There's nothing there that is not good for the sport so I don't see why they would not just make it public themselves.

Waiting for approval though..
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Never ceases to amaze me how it is folks continue to hop on to this public forum and take shot after shot at RARA about one thing after another, then wonder why the sport isn't more popular and\or attracting new fans.

Guess I shouldn't be amazed after all...
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

RARA letter to Unlimited Division

OK, time to go out on a limb... I've been waiting for permission from the powers that be but I am making a judgment call.. This document is nothing that would be secret or not available by interviewing anyone who has had it sent to them.

In my opinion, holding it back is negative to the good of the sport.. so risking the ire of whomever might get mad that I've shared something here...

November 18, 2013 (via Email)

Unlimited Owners and Race Pilots

Our 50th year of Air Racing was a banner year for the NCAR and RARA from a number of perspectives. The crowds were back, the weather was good and the Racing was both spectacular and safe! While we are pleased for the most part with what we all overcame to see the 50th; we were disappointed and impacted on a number of fronts. Although the Gold races were exciting as always, the Unlimited field was noticeably short of race planes; and the financial results overall, although better than the previous two years, resulted in our third year of significant losses

We have now taken drastic steps for things, within our control, to reduce our operating expenses to insure our ability to sustain and continue to rebuild this great event. Immediate and painful action has been taken to do so, by reducing wage and benefits, furloughing employees and regrettably eliminating positions. These steps will insure that we will remain viable as we work to further reduce the oppressive insurance premium to cover the required race liability policy and work to secure immediate underwriting to move forward in continuing the rebuilding for the future.

An additional and significant step in the rebuilding of the Air Races must be in the number of Unlimited entries. Crowd reaction was predictable in there were many comments which expressed dissatisfaction that there were not more race heats featuring the perennial crowd favorite, WWII fighters. We have been concerned for a number of years that the Unlimited fields have been in decline, but the significantly reduced number of 2013 entries have prompted us to look for a way to reinvigorate the number of Unlimited-like entries, i.e. stock or near stock WWII aircraft. We are soliciting your comments and suggestions to rectify this trend.

The Unlimited Class historically has been comprised of the "heavy metal" that most often includes those aircraft with bigger engines and aerodynamic modifications that made them the headline attraction for Air Racing. With the transition from Unlimited (NAG) Race organization in early 2013, RARA was forced to develop UWRC (Unlimited and Warbird Racing Class) which recognized the role of stock WWII fighters in the entertainment quality of Unlimited Racing in Reno. We envisioned that stock aircraft racing in a dedicated heat or heats of non-modified airplanes would provide a new group of owners and operators with a desire to compete in a sub-group of the Unlimited Class. The aircraft that would race in this Class would be stock or nearly stock and would be evenly matched in a race environment without the need for owners/operators to expend significant resources necessary to make them competitive in the true Unlimited Class category. These stock races would not only provide more public exposure to the WWII fighter fan- base, but should provide exciting racing events with more evenly matched aircraft performance.

The purpose of this letter is to determine if you think there would be interest among the greater Warbird community in developing such a class and, if so, for RARA to actively solicit their participation in the 2014 National Championship Air Races. As you know, a prerequisite for Air Race participation is the successful completion of each new racer at the NCAR Pylon Racing Seminar which is scheduled June 11 through 14. If an interest exists among potential Warbird participants to compete, we will begin planning to develop a syllabus, identify instructors and provide an entry package to potential participants. Our primary goal with this initiative is to develop a comprehensive program that would provide a safe, competitive environment unique to the stock Warbirds. We will also need to develop a purse structure that would ensure the Warbird owners/operators are compensated for event participation.

We would like to hear your comments and preliminary evaluation of this approach and to determine if you feel this would be an interesting and attractive opportunity for the Warbird community and the rebuilding of Unlimited Racing. If your comments are positive, we will begin to develop the detailed program and recruiting which would be responsive to the fielding of this capability in time for PRS and the 2014 NCAR.

Your comments regarding this request are greatly appreciated. I can assure you that RARA is aggressively working on a first class event for the 2014 race year and for subsequent years. We will keep you posted as we progress.

**removed contact information**
                          Respectfully,
                          Mike Major
                          RARA Chairman
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

More, and bigger, in the case of the 'big-iron' is certainly a good thing. I believe there are probably a handful of Warbird owners/pilots that would certainly enjoy participation, if they financial obligation wasn't so stiff, and the compensation/purse was satisfactory.

I believe that separating the Unlimited(s), from the Warbirds is a great step forward. Having an aircraft that is capable of lapping the entire field, in a 6-8 lap race, is not only bad PR, it's a serious safety concern, IMHO.

I enjoy watching the Sport Class develop. The speed-range between the top contenders, and the absolute slowest of slow, is enormous! Yet the racing has been pretty good, and from all I've talked with, the pilots have enjoyed it immensely.

As much as change can and does hurt, I'm with RARA on this one. I hope the hurdles at hand can be overcome soon!

- Joseph

Comment

Re: News From RARA

Thank you Wayne. I not only totally understand and support your reasoning for holding it back, but share your view that to remain silent at this time would be counter productive. Timely communication has never been RARA's strong suite, the delay in disseminating this news is but the latest example. Inevitably in this age of instant communication silence leaves a void, which due to human nature many genuinely concerned parties are eager to quickly fill with speculation, rumor and hearsay.

RARA appears to "get it" with the regards to need for increased warbird participation, hopefully they will also work on improving their communications skills.

Thank you again for your patience and vigilance without which this site could quickly turn into the electronic version of tabloid news.

Frank

Comment

Re: News From RARA

With the transition from Unlimited (NAG) Race organization in early 2013, RARA was forced to develop UWRC (Unlimited and Warbird Racing Class) which recognized the role of stock WWII fighters in the entertainment quality of Unlimited Racing in Reno. We envisioned that stock aircraft racing in a dedicated heat or heats of non-modified airplanes would provide a new group of owners and operators with a desire to compete in a sub-group of the Unlimited Class.
                                This sounds like "revisionist history" to me, based on how Mike Houghton explained the creation of UWRC to the media at the press briefing on Wednesday morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X