News From RARA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: News From RARA

Thank you Wayne for releasing the letter to us die-hard race fans. It gave us advance insight as to what RARA is thinking about for the future of Air Racing. It seems like a lot of the younger generation would rather watch Disney's "Planes "at the movies than to actually come to Reno to find out what it is really all about.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

I'll agree with Randy.....
      Mayday51
      Jim Gallagher

Comment

We envisioned that stock aircraft racing in a dedicated heat or heats of non-modified airplanes would provide a new group of owners and operators with a desire to compete in a sub-group of the Unlimited Class. The aircraft that would race in this Class would be stock or nearly stock and would be evenly matched in a race environment without the need for owners/operators to expend significant resources necessary to make them competitive in the true Unlimited Class category
        Sounds like the '95 Phoenix 500 air races.... does anyone remember the "Vintage Class" racers there (P47, Spit Mk9, Spit Mk14, and a few others)? I thought it was a great idea back then, and I think it's a good idea now to bring it to Reno for 2014. Hell, I don't even care if it's all scripted on who's going to win and it's just a dog and pony show... it's pretty clear that if left alone, air racing (as we know it) wouldn't last too much longer before it becomes just a memory. Overall, I think it's a good call, but I'm with Wayne... would be nice to see Valerie back in some capacity.
        Mark K....

Comment

Mike H. indicated "We are rapidly developing an exciting, new fundraising campaign that aims to quickly engage air race fans and aviation enthusiasts from all over the world and we’ll be releasing details before Thanksgiving on our website and Facebook page".

I could be wrong but, I am guessing they maybe setting something up with fundanything.com or a similar site. Adam Corrolla used the site to collect over $500,000.00 for a movie he is producing. He used his daliy Podcast to guide people to the site.

In any event, I hope RARA can keep things going for my Son's generation (he is 14) and the others to come.

Comment

Mike H. indicated "We are rapidly developing an exciting, new fundraising campaign that aims to quickly engage air race fans and aviation enthusiasts from all over the world and we’ll be releasing details before Thanksgiving on our website and Facebook page".

I could be wrong but, I am guessing they maybe setting something up with fundanything.com or a similar site. Adam Corrolla used the site to collect over $500,000.00 for a moving he is producing.

In any event, I hope RARA can keep things going for my Son's generation (he is 14) and the others to come.

Sorry, I stand corrected. Adam Carolla actually received $1,444,921.00. In 32 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              It seems like a lot of the younger generation would rather watch Disney's "Planes "at the movies than to actually come to Reno to find out what it is really all about.
              I disagree with you. Things like "Planes" reach out and draw the very young into an interest in aviation. I see it happening with my own fairly young nephew. He saw the movie, loved it and wants all the toys. He then got his first flight in an airliner and was over the moon excited about it. His parents, who are completely not interested in aviation in the least then took him to a local Airshow and he couldn't have been happier. They were the only family members who "Got it" about why we attended the Reno Air Races instead of a long distance family wedding for some distant relative. The seed has been planted. If RARA would have had the Promo Plane for the movie at the event, they could have played that for all it was worth. I would have much rather seen it being promoted than yet another silly race between some car and an airplane....

There is a sequel being worked on already, and it would be much to RARA's advantage to be involved as much as possible with it. Its a huge advertisement with little to no investment for the amount of people it reaches.

Comment

Working...
              X