White Lightnin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Lightnin

Finally drew Lefty's Lightning, my favorite plane of all time.
    Watercolor/pen and ink.
    Just a personal technique study, loosely based on an old Bucky Dawson photo.
    Scan resolution isn't the greatest but it is what it is...
    Attached Files
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: White Lightnin

Wow, thats very nice Leo.

I agree that was a special plane, lots of great memories there. Watching Lefty fly was something "wow- look at how low he is, or, where did Lefty go??? oh he'll pop-up in a bit, he's mowing the sage brush LOL", or on the hill where get actually made people duck down.

The good old days, glad I got to experience them.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks.
      Lefty's racing was always a thrill, and his shows were just beautiful.
      I know I've told the story here before, but back in '82 I got to spend a couple of quali sessions out on pylon 4. Lefty's passes were the greatest! He would roar by followed by a vortex of twigs, dust and pebbles VERY close to the pylon (and us) and even closer to the ground. On one pass he obviously had noticed us creeping outside a bit (things were a little bit looser then) and came in real close and low. One judge mentioned calling a cut for low flying, the other shrugged it off as "just Lefty".
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Very impressive, Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Finally drew Lefty's Lightning, my favorite plane of all time.
          Watercolor/pen and ink.
          Just a personal technique study, loosely based on an old Bucky Dawson photo.
          Scan resolution isn't the greatest but it is what it is...
          Nice job!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That is art, my friend! Seeing Lefty's old ride brings back some special memories. I always loved the aerobatic routine he did in the 80's and '90's. I am sorry my kids will 'prolly never see anyone fly a 38 like that.
            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Leo, awesome artwork! I like the cross hatching, you are gifted. I just spoke with my dad, VA-196 B/N, about your drawing. We were at Hamilton 1987, I think, and Lefty was there with his P-38, we got to get up close in the hanger to view White Light'n up close. Thank you Leo, Lefty would be proud of your artwork.
              warbirds45

Comment

Nice work!

Watching my dad's videos from the east side (cheapskate hill), during the 70's-80's, and everyone would holler and cry for excitement whenever Lefty would come around, and set-up for #4. Be it in Thunderbird, or Lightning. Good stuff!

- Joseph

Comment

Damn, wish I could do that! Even though both my sister and brother are both accomplished artists, as was my mother, her grandmother and many others down the line in my family, I can barely render a decent stick man drawing and have absolutely horrible handwriting...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So thankful that I was able to see Lefty in Reno for so many years.

Any White Lightning thread needs to have this to get a "taste". And, yes, I know it is not hard to find, but still:

Enjoy:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by Box A35; 11-07-2013, 11:37 PM. Reason: longer thus better link

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                      Nice work!

Watching my dad's videos from the east side (cheapskate hill), during the 70's-80's, and everyone would holler and cry for excitement whenever Lefty would come around, and set-up for #4. Be it in Thunderbird, or Lightning. Good stuff!

- Joseph

That's because he was 20' off the deck usually.

I was there.

Comment

Thanks!
                        This one was a study in working with large white areas (masking in watercolor). The next is Super Corsair 74, blue saturation, then the RB-51, red saturation and detail, then Jeannie I think to try a polished metal plane.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X