Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hellcat v. Truck - What is the story ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellcat v. Truck - What is the story ????

Just wondering what the real story is behind this incident?

Thanks.

Jack

Re: Hellcat v. Truck - What is the story ????

The Hellcat was taxing back after landing and the support truck for the jet man (Specman) was on the taxi way and they collided. The truck sustained damage to the right front fender were the propeller from the Hellcat made contact. The truck was still drive able and was seen on the ramp later in the day. The Hellcat was towed away into a hangar to access the damage.

Comment

Was there a breakdown in communication.

Was the truck supposed to be in that position?

Looked like the truck had a Hangar 5 cinematography logo on the side.

Comment

I saw the Hellcat in the big hangar on the east end of the ramp.....they had the prop off and appeared to be getting ready to pull the engine. Beside the prop strike, was there any other damage done to the Hellcat ie cowl or ??
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          I saw the Hellcat in the big hangar on the east end of the ramp.....they had the prop off and appeared to be getting ready to pull the engine. Beside the prop strike, was there any other damage done to the Hellcat ie cowl or ??
          Brian
          I saw a couple of photos of the Hellcat after the incident but I can't remember where I saw them. At any rate, one photo clearly showed a fairly substantial "ding" in the tip of the right hand horizontal stab and there was some indication that the airplane had also struck a fire truck or other emergency vehicle during the incident. That's all hearsay of course and I never did hear any confirmation of that but the tail certainly had a big dent in it from something.

Comment

Engine was pulled (precautionary). Airframe sustained minor damage to left bottom edge of wing and rear horizontal. Pilot described the fowl up as "tunnel Vision" kinda like driving down a street and running a red light because you were looking at the next light which was green.

We've likely all done this, just not in a multi-million dollar warbird as rare as a Hellcat. Low point in pilots career I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
            X