Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega is officially for sale!

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
    You may be tired of hearing what you see as all negative comments, but I am as tired of hearing how if we all just say only good positive things, all the problems will just go away! This kind of thinking is what has got our country to the point that it is now, in my humble opinion. Sometimes what are the facts some people see as negative, when it is not what they want to hear. People want to know why things have happened the way they have, in regards to the races.
    Wayne seemed to get my point, that there is also some negative aspects to televising the races. I personally think that it would help them grow if they got more tv coverage, as more people would see it and maybe more would then want to come experience it for themselves. But you might loose a few of the regulars, also.
    Lighten up!! Do you really think what gets said on some blog (which is there for DISCUSSION, by the way) really has any impact on what RARA or anybody decides about how to run the races? Really??
    Dialtapper would say: If you think you really have an impact on the world, stick your finger in a bucket of water, then pull it out, and see how much of an impression you left.
    All that is said is NOT negative, quite the contrary.........constructive criticism should always have a place, whether here or anywhere else........my point was aimed at just what I said, those that keep saying the end is near. that helps nothing. As far as TV coverage, that's a great idea....the races were covered years ago......by ABC on the Wide World of Sports. I was just making the point that there's nothing like being there. Do I think what is said on here has an impact on RARA.....I don't really know the answer to that......but I would assume that some members do read what's on here......and whatever is read is embedded in ones mine.......whether one acts on it or not is up to the individual. As far as having an impact on the world.......you bet ya I have an impact on the world....as well as you do and everyone else........after all we all make up this world............have you ever seen the movie "It's a Wonderful Life"
    I don't think positive thinking vs negative thinking has gotten our country to the point it's at either...I'm not here to debate politics or religion............in fact I'm here probably for the same reason you are............we both like Air Racing and want it to succeed and continue on in the future........Lighten Up? what's there to lighten up about.....can''t I or you express our feelings within reason on here?
    I said it before and I'll say it again.........There's nothing like being there........Long live the Reno Air Races
    Brian
    Last edited by supercub; 11-08-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Boy, oh howdy doodie.. I wish there was some way to ensure that everyone who reads the posts here could visualize and know who was on the other end of said post... Take "toldjaso"... for reasons we have no right to question, we don't see a public persona put forth so that you might know who this person is... what might be his passion... what are his credentials...

Crap toldjaso, it's tough for me not to just out ya.. (I'm probably being over dramatic here because in some previous post, this is probably already dealt with )

I just think it important to say that toldjaso is one of the best restorers of warbirds out there.. Involved with, at least, one of the most impossible and most famous restorations of all time!

toldjaso, I KNOW your passion! I'll never forget the evening we shared on the ramp looking at your art, seeing the tear in your eye as you beheld your masterpiece. I knew you were feeling the significance of this piece of history that you had brought back to life....

I'm just trying to inject a bit of personality here... I know, mostly, who is who via the nickname system.. and I also, understand that some folks need to exercise message board anonymity.

Ok Ok... I've drifted the conversation even further .. just wanted to express my respect for toldjaso..
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        Boy, oh howdy doodie.. I wish there was some way to ensure that everyone who reads the posts here could visualize and know who was on the other end of said post... Take "toldjaso"... for reasons we have no right to question, we don't see a public persona put forth so that you might know who this person is... what might be his passion... what are his credentials...

Crap toldjaso, it's tough for me not to just out ya.. (I'm probably being over dramatic here because in some previous post, this is probably already dealt with )

I just think it important to say that toldjaso is one of the best restorers of warbirds out there.. Involved with, at least, one of the most impossible and most famous restorations of all time!

toldjaso, I KNOW your passion! I'll never forget the evening we shared on the ramp looking at your art, seeing the tear in your eye as you beheld your masterpiece. I knew you were feeling the significance of this piece of history that you had brought back to life....

I'm just trying to inject a bit of personality here... I know, mostly, who is who via the nickname system.. and I also, understand that some folks need to exercise message board anonymity.

Ok Ok... I've drifted the conversation even further .. just wanted to express my respect for toldjaso..
        Wayne, everyone contributes a little bit to this world of ours. In my life, I have come to see that everyone, without exception, may have that one skill that they are better at than anyone else. Think about it, you know people who just naturally have a skill that no one can come even come close to doing as well as that person does it, and seemingly without effort.
        Of course, it may be a skill that person has devoted his whole life to, and has refined over several years of dedication to that effort.
        A good example is the multitude of skills and craftsmanship that it takes from every member on the team to build a competitive unlimited-class race plane, for example. Everyone has that certain skill set or a different way of seeing things than the other guys, that makes them a valuable asset to the team.
        But believe me when I say that I have just as much admiration for the guys who put everything they possibly can into their formula one racer, or biplane, or Piper Cub.
        Because they gave it their best shot, that's why.
        I am only good at pissing people off, but at least that gets their brain to working in a higher gear, thinking up something new to do or say! Gets the blood flowing!
        Anyhow, Thank You, Wayne, for taking the time out of your life to give us old crows this site to talk some trash on.
        Oh, and to keep it on topic, if I had the money to buy Strega, I would. It would look great mounted on a pole!
        Last edited by toldjaso; 11-08-2013, 10:34 PM. Reason: left a sentence out

Comment

I am only good at pissing people off, but at least that gets their brain to working in a higher gear, thinking up something new to do or say! Gets the blood flowing!
          Oh man, you gotta know, you're an awful lot more better making scrap aluminum into historic art than you'll ever be as a "politician"
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by ukmerlin View Post
            " the pass " was against the rules. Those who saw it knew.
            If we are talking about Tiger passing Dan at the pylon on the inside. Inside passing is allowed in the rules and we brief that in the briefings. The pass was protested and the protest was denied. Its called racing fella's and Tiger watched all week long as Dan and Mike Brown flew wide on those same pylons. He just waited to pass when it counted on Sundays race. He got the win and that's how it goes. If it were easy they would call it winning. (Alan Preston Quote)

Comment

There is a Video posted from Septfury232 on here somewhere of Tiger's inside pass to win. It is pretty cool to watch. I believe you can here Mike Brown saying like where are you going Tiger. I know there are older post here on that race. Matt just talked about it and I believe John Penney has also commented on it. Both have said the same thing of the pilot's briefing. I believe that was the first year (and last) the Septfury had the clipped wings on it. She looked fast but could not turn or Mike liked the outside line unsure.

Comment

if I had the money to buy Strega, I would. It would look great mounted on a pole!
                +++++Press Release+++++

Strega has been sold and her new name is PoleDancer.
                '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

This thread has wandered out into the sagebrush and is out there with PMs gear door. I was kinda hoping that I'd be reading about Stregas' new owner but...Anyway the best pass of all time was Tsunami flown by Skip Holm passing Dreadnought flown by Rick Brickert on the last lap of the gold heat on Saturday in 1991. Tsunami came from behind and really low and went knife edge around pylon 7 as Deadnought went wide as usual and Brickert looked up to see Tsunamis' belly scoop go right by the top of his canopy. Brickert chased Holm up off the course for quite a while there. Go back to 1987 and Stregas'first victory and Tiger was falling behind Dreadnought on every lap on the straights but passed on the pylons every lap to catch up and eventually take the checkered flag. Seems like the Sea Furies just sag into the turns further.

Comment

To keep it on topic if I had the money to buy "Strega" instead of having it on a "pole" I would have under a "Czech" (Mate"). Is it time for a cool one?Huh!
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                      If we are talking about Tiger passing Dan at the pylon on the inside. Inside passing is allowed in the rules and we brief that in the briefings. The pass was protested and the protest was denied. Its called racing fella's and Tiger watched all week long as Dan and Mike Brown flew wide on those same pylons. He just waited to pass when it counted on Sundays race. He got the win and that's how it goes. If it were easy they would call it winning. (Alan Preston Quote)
                      Open mouth , insert foot . I stand corrected .

Comment

Now this may be just the opinion of one guy but here goes. When I was a wee young lad about the ripe young age of 5 or 6 maybe; where did I first decide that some day I wanted to go air racing? Watching the Reno Air Races on ABC's Wide World of Sports.

Having this event as a prime event on TV is the only thing that will ever bring up the numbers. Prime time TV is called that for a reason folks. Sponsors come with prime time viewing/air time. Internet just isn't going to cut it! It needs to be broadcast on a Sunday in between a NASCAR race and an Indy Car race. Why!? Because as the die hard gear head sits and waits for that next race you give him a "oh wait what is this" moment. The people that are drawn to ANY kind of racing live a lifestyle. Sunday is that day during the summer that they fire up the BBQ, invite friends over, drink beer, and watch racing all day. They don't care if it's cars, trucks, motorcycles, or lawnmowers; they gonna watch some racing today. Will that put butts in seat?! You bet ya! A certain number will attend the air races because it's human nature to want to experience something first hand. We need new fans and this is the only way to get them.
                        Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 11-09-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                          Now this may be just the opinion of one guy but here goes. When I was a wee young lad about the ripe young age of 5 or 6 maybe; where did I first decide that some day I wanted to go air racing? Watching the Reno Air Races on ABC's Wide World of Sports.

Having this event as a prime event on TV is the only thing that will ever bring up the numbers. Prime time TV is called that for a reason folks. Sponsors come with prime time viewing/air time. Internet just isn't going to cut it! It needs to be broadcast on a Sunday in between a NASCAR race and an Indy Car race. Why!? Because as the die hard gear head sits and waits for that next race you give him a "oh wait what is this" moment. The people that are drawn to ANY kind of racing live a lifestyle. Sunday is that day during the summer that they fire up the BBQ, invite friends over, drink beer, and watch racing all day. They don't care if it's cars, trucks, motorcycles, or lawnmowers; they gonna watch some racing today. Will that put butts in seat?! You bet ya! A certain number will attend the air races because it's human nature to want to experience something first hand. We need new fans and this is the only way to get them.
                          Good Call!
                          The very first Reno race I saw, (and it was on Wide World of Sports), Steve Hinton disappeared behind the hill in Red Baron, and as the camera panned forward a little after he went out of sight, a big black smoke cloud rose up right where he had gone out of sight. Fortunately, they then showed him in the studio, as he was healing up. I was a kid too, but a little older than 5 or 6 at the time.
                          Several years later, Steve came to test fly one of my Flying Frankenstein creations. One of the nicest pilots I have ever met.
                          Oh, I simply adore a good colloquy!
                          To keep it on track, how about this: Maybe they will list Strega for sale or rent on the boob tube.
                          Last edited by toldjaso; 11-10-2013, 10:56 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Dan and Smoot had a very spirited talk about this in the Strega pits on Sun or Sat this year, ill try to post a photo. It was great!

Comment

Good Call!
                              The very first Reno race I saw, (and it was on Wide World of Sports), Steve Hinton disappeared behind the hill in Red Baron, and as the camera panned forward a little after he went out of sight, a big black smoke cloud rose up right where he had gone out of sight. Fortunately, they then showed him in the studio, as he was healing up. I was a kid too, but a little older than 5 or 6 at the time.
                              Several years later, Steve came to test fly one of my Flying Frankenstein creations. One of the nicest pilots I have ever met.
                              Oh, I simply adore a good colloquy!
                              To keep it on track, how about this: Maybe they will list Strega for sale or rent on the boob tube.
                              That episode as well as the previous are available for viewing on YouTube if you are in need of some nostalgia. Great stuff and well worth the time spent!

Comment

Originally posted by eldon2101 View Post
                                There is a Video posted from Septfury232 on here somewhere of Tiger's inside pass to win. It is pretty cool to watch. I believe you can here Mike Brown saying like where are you going Tiger. I know there are older post here on that race. Matt just talked about it and I believe John Penney has also commented on it. Both have said the same thing of the pilot's briefing. I believe that was the first year (and last) the Septfury had the clipped wings on it. She looked fast but could not turn or Mike liked the outside line unsure.
                                It's not the winning pass, but there's a cool shot of Tiger passing Mike Brown in this video @1:47.

A preview of Reno Air Race 2008 coverage on Airsports.tv. The world's fastest motor sport, real air racing at 500 mph the Reno Air Race! It includes cockpit ...

Comment

Working...
                                X