Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega is officially for sale!

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
    I completely agree here! I'm a Radio-TV-Film student, so yes there could be a lot more done with covering the races -it could be really good!
    What was explained to me (in the past) was that RARA was wanting WAY too much money for the broadcast rights to make it attractive to a major network to come televise the races.
    Don't know if that is true or not today, just what us fence sitters were told at the time.

Comment

Just curious. When was the last time that there was a genuine racing pass (not a mayday, pylon cut, etc) for the lead of an Unlimited Gold race?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
        Just curious. When was the last time that there was a genuine racing pass (not a mayday, pylon cut, etc) for the lead of an Unlimited Gold race?
        Lap 1 in 2009. Stevo in Strega passed Will in Voodoo at ~ 4.
        "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by Mike51 View Post
          That's just being mean!

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
            What was explained to me (in the past) was that RARA was wanting WAY too much money for the broadcast rights to make it attractive to a major network to come televise the races.
            Don't know if that is true or not today, just what us fence sitters were told at the time.
            That would make sense, because it would be expensive for the Network to produce in the first place.

Comment

That's just being mean!
              I would say 2008 then, when Tiger passed Dan Martin in Dago for the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                Wasn't the low turn out of entries this year more due to course rule changes and the restructuring of how the prize money was paid out by the "new" Unlimited organization (more for Gold contenders and almost none for other classes) and not because it was a lower total purse amount?...I believe they will get more issues worked out and the 2014 field size will be more like we are used to.
                The way the prize money was to be doled out and lack of recognition to the lower-speed class unlimiteds(or warbirds or whatever you like to call them) was the reason for JCP and all the guys with the really cool "stockers" stayed at home for the most part.
                That, and some confusion about the rules. Just was not what we were hoping for, especially for the 50th annual running of the event.
                I was one of those who was very grateful to be able to see it on my computer (the Gold Unlimited Races), and then go back out and work in my shop.
                So, with me as an example, if I can see it on the tube, from now on I will do that, instead of spending my vacation and money to fly to Reno every year.
                Maybe that is one reason they don't have major TV, it causes people to not come to Reno and put $80,000,000 into the local economy. Just a thought.

Comment

So, with me as an example, if I can see it on the tube, from now on I will do that, instead of spending my vacation and money to fly to Reno every year.
                  Interesting train of thought.. I know of one fellow who used to go each and every year but has not been in probably, close to a decade... He watched the races from home this year and caught the bug all over again and he's planning on coming for 2014..

There probably would be some folks who would stay home, particularly, if there was great coverage (not taking anything away from Jeff Lee's Live AirShow TV, I'm talking what Jeff could do with a network TV style budget) that was streaming in HD, or on "real" TV. There probably would also be a bunch of us who would go, record the broadcast, then watch it when we got home, either to the hotel, or home home..

I think we have to give RARA a lot of credit for making it through some really tough times. They were dealt some huge blows.. The weather in 2010, very much hurt their bottom line, obviously, 2011, nearly killed the sport right then and there. Many of us were VERY surprised that they were able to achieve agreement with the NTSB and FAA to actually have a Reno 2012! Then the, essentially, Unlimited Pilot Strike of 2013 over purse distribution and safety rules... here you have an organization, essentially on the ropes, a last minute crisis hits them and they figure a way out of the mess and we had RENO 2013.. Yes, an abbreviated field, to be sure, but we had racing!

Let's give them all a chance to work this out (Unlimited guys and RARA) These guys have never raced for money, bringing an airplane to RENO at any level of competition has and probably always will be a not-for-profit kind of thing. The pot was simply too small to feed everyone well for 2013 and we had a lot of no shows.. I'd wager that much behind the scene talks have already gone on and I've every hope that we'll all be saying at RENO 2014 that "this was the best RENO ever!"

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    Interesting train of thought.. I know of one fellow who used to go each and every year but has not been in probably, close to a decade... He watched the races from home this year and caught the bug all over again and he's planning on coming for 2014..

There probably would be some folks who would stay home, particularly, if there was great coverage (not taking anything away from Jeff Lee's Live AirShow TV, I'm talking what Jeff could do with a network TV style budget) that was streaming in HD, or on "real" TV. There probably would also be a bunch of us who would go, record the broadcast, then watch it when we got home, either to the hotel, or home home..

I think we have to give RARA a lot of credit for making it through some really tough times. They were dealt some huge blows.. The weather in 2010, very much hurt their bottom line, obviously, 2011, nearly killed the sport right then and there. Many of us were VERY surprised that they were able to achieve agreement with the NTSB and FAA to actually have a Reno 2012! Then the, essentially, Unlimited Pilot Strike of 2013 over purse distribution and safety rules... here you have an organization, essentially on the ropes, a last minute crisis hits them and they figure a way out of the mess and we had RENO 2013.. Yes, an abbreviated field, to be sure, but we had racing!

Let's give them all a chance to work this out (Unlimited guys and RARA) These guys have never raced for money, bringing an airplane to RENO at any level of competition has and probably always will be a not-for-profit kind of thing. The pot was simply too small to feed everyone well for 2013 and we had a lot of no shows.. I'd wager that much behind the scene talks have already gone on and I've every hope that we'll all be saying at RENO 2014 that "this was the best RENO ever!"

I agree with everything you said, Wayne. Well Put!!
                    I hope for the sake of the fans and the sport your hopes and wishes come true.
                    Which is my favorite plane? Any one that shows up to qualify and race at Reno!

Comment

Have you ever seen pictures of the Grand Canyon or Yosemite. Both beautiful places.......then, were you able to travel there and see the sites in person?........I believe the old saying is, pictures can't do it justice..........this holds true with any spectacular place or event, and yes, the Reno Air Races are a spectacular place.
                      Great to watch on TV or on the computer.....but Nothing, and I mean Nothing can take the place of being there in person and seeing and hearing the sites and sounds of the Air Races.
                      Personally I don't see what purpose it serves to keep talking negative about the races, ie: the end is near, it's to costly, on and on. Well, I first attended back in the 60's and I think I've heard the same ole negativism since then. If it does get to that point of being to costly, or lack of attendance (which I haven't seen, with few exceptions) then yes, it will come to an end......but, what's amazing is......airplanes, pilots, spectators and all us air race fanatics keep showing up. LONG may the Reno Air Races Live.
                      Brian

Comment

I agree with everything you said, Wayne. Well Put!!
                        I hope for the sake of the fans and the sport your hopes and wishes come true.
                        Which is my favorite plane? Any one that shows up to qualify and race at Reno!
                        " the pass " was against the rules. Those who saw it knew.

Comment

Originally posted by ukmerlin View Post
                          #7 passiing #4

Comment

#7 passiing #4

Explain please.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              Have you ever seen pictures of the Grand Canyon or Yosemite. Both beautiful places.......then, were you able to travel there and see the sites in person?........I believe the old saying is, pictures can't do it justice..........this holds true with any spectacular place or event, and yes, the Reno Air Races are a spectacular place.
                              Great to watch on TV or on the computer.....but Nothing, and I mean Nothing can take the place of being there in person and seeing and hearing the sites and sounds of the Air Races.
                              Personally I don't see what purpose it serves to keep talking negative about the races, ie: the end is near, it's to costly, on and on. Well, I first attended back in the 60's and I think I've heard the same ole negativism since then. If it does get to that point of being to costly, or lack of attendance (which I haven't seen, with few exceptions) then yes, it will come to an end......but, what's amazing is......airplanes, pilots, spectators and all us air race fanatics keep showing up. LONG may the Reno Air Races Live.
                              Brian
                              You may be tired of hearing what you see as all negative comments, but I am as tired of hearing how if we all just say only good positive things, all the problems will just go away! This kind of thinking is what has got our country to the point that it is now, in my humble opinion. Sometimes what are the facts some people see as negative, when it is not what they want to hear. People want to know why things have happened the way they have, in regards to the races.
                              Wayne seemed to get my point, that there is also some negative aspects to televising the races. I personally think that it would help them grow if they got more tv coverage, as more people would see it and maybe more would then want to come experience it for themselves. But you might loose a few of the regulars, also.
                              Lighten up!! Do you really think what gets said on some blog (which is there for DISCUSSION, by the way) really has any impact on what RARA or anybody decides about how to run the races? Really??
                              Dialtapper would say: If you think you really have an impact on the world, stick your finger in a bucket of water, then pull it out, and see how much of an impression you left.
                              Last edited by toldjaso; 11-08-2013, 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

BONG BONG BONG.. we have a winner for the most hard to figure out what in hell the post was asking award!!

Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X