Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega is officially for sale!

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    I'd like to see Skip Holm race Darryl Greenamyer in ANYTHING.
    Big_Jim,
    So, I've got to ask, these two Reno greats have never piloted against each other in an air race?

It never occurred to me that it would be the case, but ya...... DG hasn't raced unlimited since 1976 or 77 in the Red Baron, right?

Skips first year was 1981 or 82, right?

Interesting.

Comment

That's right. Dg last year 77 Skip's first 1981.

Comment

Major thread drift but could they have raced in the sport class? Didn't Skip race a radial rocket?
        Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
          Major thread drift but could they have raced in the sport class? Didn't Skip race a radial rocket?
          For all I/we know, maybe they raced before that..........operating out of an unknown place about 250-300 miles south of Reno at 80,000 ft. out over the pacific..........jus' sayin'...........
          Last edited by V1670; 11-02-2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

After Strega was towed back into her pits, I did witness Jack Rousch (with Bud Anderson) in Strega's pit consulting with some of the crew.

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

the sad slow death of our sport continues. . . . . .White Lightning, Dago, Risky Business, Critical Mass, and now Strega (sigh)

Comment

Originally posted by Dago Dog View Post
                the sad slow death of our sport continues. . . . . .White Lightning, Dago, Risky Business, Critical Mass, and now Strega (sigh)

Well, cry, cry..

Why is it every year, following the races, people have to bawl and through a fit?

Comment

Come on Cowpoke, that was hardly a bawl and cry. Time to smell the paint thinner Cowdude. It is clearly "more insane" to field a competitive unlimited racer in these times, than in any prior period over the last 50 years.

Dago Doggy is correct with his observation, except that he forgot to mention Furias.
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Well, let's see;

A Griffon powered Mustang flew to Stead from Florida; and finished in the Gold. (With new paint)
                    A big Bear trucked in from Texas, after much work; finished Gold
                    A little Czech made it back, flew better than ever, and finished Gold.
                    A new winning aircraft in the Gold

All this year. And that's just in the Unlimited class.

Might I mention the continued success of that hot Glassair III in the sport? Or maybe the potential in the Sport next Year with 3-4 more super sport contenders? The battles we saw, and the new-comers last year in the T-6? The Gold Formula winner, first time after 21 years? And that being with a Swiss team??

I disagree with Dago.. The sport isn't dying.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                      Well, let's see;

A Griffon powered Mustang flew to Stead from Florida; and finished in the Gold. (With new paint)
                      A big Bear trucked in from Texas, after much work; finished Gold
                      A little Czech made it back, flew better than ever, and finished Gold.
                      A new winning aircraft in the Gold

All this year. And that's just in the Unlimited class.

Might I mention the continued success of that hot Glassair III in the sport? Or maybe the potential in the Sport next Year with 3-4 more super sport contenders? The battles we saw, and the new-comers last year in the T-6? The Gold Formula winner, first time after 21 years? And that being with a Swiss team??

I disagree with Dago.. The sport isn't dying.

- Joseph
                      Let's look at the last 5 years, shall we?
                      2009, 25 Unlimiteds entered.
                      2010, 23 Unlimiteds entered.
                      2011, 28 Unlimiteds entered.
                      2012, 19 Unlimiteds entered.
                      2013, 14 Unlimiteds entered, No Silver Unlimited races 'till Friday, NO Bronze Class, No Gold Unlimited races until Saturday,not enough planes.
                      So, are you a financial advisor to the current administration in Washington? Just wondering...
                      Sorry, I don't keep up with the other classes. I do enjoy watching them, and I know they have some really neat stuff.
                      They just don't get me all excited like 3800 horsepower zooming by at 500 mph does.
                      Last edited by toldjaso; 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                        2013, 14 Unlimiteds entered, No Silver Unlimited races 'till Friday, NO Bronze Class, No Gold Unlimited races until Saturday,not enough planes.
                        So, are you a financial advisor to the current administration in Washington? Just wondering...
                        Sorry, I don't keep up with the other classes. I do enjoy watching them, and I know they have some really neat stuff.
                        They just don't get me all excited like 3800 horsepower zooming by at 500 mph does.
                        Agreed. While the other classes are fun, NONE of them will ever carry the races and bring the crowds like the Unlimiteds. Period. And if the prize money continues to diminish, so will the competition. Do you have any clue the financial committment necessary to field an Unlimited racer at Reno? I think we all know that no one expects to get rich air racing (or break even for that matter), but it was always nice to know the owner could recoup some of his monetary output with prize money. Well, it would appear those days are gone, and unless that changes, MANY owners will not be bringing their expensive toys to play. Not tryin to be the uber pessimist, just realistic. Anyway, my $0.02...

SA

Comment

Like I tell people. Treat Reno like great sex; it may be the last time you get some.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                            Like I tell people. Treat Reno like great sex; it may be the last time you get some.
                            Isn't that the truth.

That explains why I always have a big smile on my face several weeks after the air races

Comment

Wasn't the low turn out of entries this year more due to course rule changes and the restructuring of how the prize money was paid out by the "new" Unlimited organization (more for Gold contenders and almost none for other classes) and not because it was a lower total purse amount?...I believe they will get more issues worked out and the 2014 field size will be more like we are used to.
                              Last edited by johnnyrace; 11-04-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                                Wasn't the low turn out of entries this year more due to course rule changes and the restructuring of how the prize money was paid out by the "new" Unlimited organization (more for Gold contenders and almost none for other classes) and not because it was a lower total purse amount?...I believe they will get more issues worked out and the 2014 field size will be more like we are used to.
                                With what planes?!

Comment

Working...
                                X