• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did Strega's canopy get fixed?

Originally posted by MIKE NIXON View Post
    Some of the steps in the process were:
    LD and the team had a cold one.
    Then the new parts arrived from Sanders.
    The frame was inspected after the old plexi was removed and found servicable.
    No damage to fin or turtleback.
    The new canopy had about 12" extra all around but a test fit showed it would not match the old front.
    By 11 that night a plan was in place and we got some sleep.
    In the morning (Wed) the front screen was replaced.
    The rest of the day was spent removing smaller and smaller amounts of plexi fron the Canopy.
    In aviation you don't get many "do-overs".
    Once it was close (late night) Andy helped with the final fitting.
    The next day was the design, makeing of the carbon fiber mating part and installing it.
    Once it was all ready the plexi with sealer and hardware was installed.
    Friday as the sun rose over the mountains to the east,
    Strega taxied out for the test flight.
    And then, as they say (whoever they were) the rest was history.
    Pop to flight was ******hours and ******min.
    As amazing feat by a great bunch of air racers who represent the best this nation has to offer.
    MN
    Thanks for your information

Comment

I didn't want to step on Neal's thread while he was posting Brigitta's photo essay. But now that he's completed, I thought I'd add a few more to the story. I think this was Wednesday around 2:00 or so.

I particularly enjoy the look on Tracy and Carol's faces in the background of the one photo. Carol says that that was after a couple glasses of wine and mani/pedi's...and they had hoped the boys would be a little farther along.

Mike Nixon, if you read this...in the photos it's obvious that there is a serious optical flaw on the right side of the windscreen. And by the time the plane flew on Thursday that flaw was not there. So how many new 'front' pieces did you have to go through before you got the right one for Andy to make the flange on?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        It all worked...
        OT: Neal.... very nice photo sir. I know you said earlier in another topic/post that you sometimes (or more) crop photos and such to make them less desirable for those with sticky fingers (and bad motives) to walk away cleanly with the digitized image. Just wanted to say that I very much appreciate the fact that you share what you do - and I bet that full frame shot is quite nice indeed. Most excellent
        Mark K....

Comment

"Back-In-Action!"~

Fri. 9/13/13-7:29am-Reno NCAR: Race pilot~Matt Jackson taxis-out Bill 'Tiger' Destefani's legendary super-modified NAA P-51D Mustang UNL Class Gold racer~#7-"Strega" (N71FT) for a sunrise test-flight, following completion of difficult fabrication repair-work to renew the a/c's damaged sliding-canopy plexi-glas & damaged frame, in-prep for 'must-win' competition in UNL Silver Heat 1 later in the day.

DBD
          Attached Files

Comment

And minutes later...
            Attached Files

Comment

.....and even a few minutes after THAT.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...