Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Gold Race start from pace plane

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
    I was in the third row of the first section of reserved seating next to the pits. Steve called "You have a race" and I remember seeing Voodoo go by and a couple others then what seemed like forever before Strega came into view. I would say at least 4 seconds behind, at 600-700 feet per second, he was about 1/2 mile behind Voodoo.
    Don't forget that Strega is typically a slower airplane on the starts down the chute.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post

Insidious revisionist history is already at work, innit? I don't know that its deliberate, but there seems to be an underlying assumption that if Matt hadn't been in such an awkward position, he'd have walked with the win. Its Strega's well-deserved reputation subtly at work.

The numbers just don't support an easy win had they started 1-2 as far as I can tell- the fact that Strega passed so many slower planes gave the visual impression that Matt was moving much faster than Steven (who passed nothing but air), but the clock doesn't agree so much. It would have been a neck-and-neck, down-to-the-wire run had they started side-by-side as far as I can tell. But as it was with 5 having a very comfortable lead and then getting into lapped traffic, 7 still only gained back about 1 second. You could probably tell us how much further the levers could have been pushed in Voodoo (though Button might have to kill you...) and Matt, LD, Tiger, and a handful of others know about how much Strega had left. That's the unknown factor for the rest of us. If they were both all-out or had an equal reserve, it would have been a very tight race with a 1-2 start. But if 7 was all out to make up ground and 5 still had some in the bank (as logic would dictate since "2nd place sets the pace,") then I would assume Voodoo was the faster combination this year.

Had it been 1-2 at the Start... Strega was the faster aircraft, with a less-than desirable line as it is.. Clean air, and time to work on Stevo? I'm going to say Matt would have had it.. Maybe we'll see it next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
        Don't forget that Strega is typically a slower airplane on the starts down the chute.
        Slower than what? The only time in recent history when Voodoo and Strega started 1 & 2, Strega was right there all the way down the chute and because of that 7 was able to capitalize when 5 turned late. Remember that? Race 7 didn't seem to be at any disadvantage that day.

Also, if you watch the video again it appears that at the start Stevo moves the handle ALL the way forward and pushed it a second time to make sure. That surprised me since I figured he would set it at a certain predetermined number. Nowhere in that clip did it show him pulling it back that I could see. Surprised again because I really didn't think that any Merlin could survive being firewalled for 8 laps. Having said that, I'm now confused by the talk of having something left or either airplane being pulled back. You think Matt was loitering back there taking his time at something less than full power? I highly doubt it. I also doubt that Stevo would pull back knowing that Matt was coming for him. He knows full well what that airplane is capable of. Both engines survived the full 8 laps, a huge testament to their respective engine programs/builders. If some of my observations here are not accurate, then I am willing to be educated.

From the chatter since the races I gather that Race 5 is not quite the aerodynamic equivalent of 7, yet. They will work on that this winter I'm sure. We could still that neck and neck 500 mph race between those two yet.

Race 5 came well prepared, did what they had to do and came out on top. They earned it. Unfortunately Lady Luck dealt Race 7 a hand that put them behind the 8 ball and ultimately our of contention.

GP

Comment

Working...
        X