About the 50th Anniversary Air Race Poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the 50th Anniversary Air Race Poster

PREFACE: Before starting this thread, I went back 10 pages (approx to Aug 27) to search out my inquiry. If there is a thread on this subject, please forgive the duplication and I woud appreciate somebody posting a link to it.

So, there I was sitting at my office desk this morning when, out of the blue, a client showed up and presented me with a framed poster of the 2013 50th Anniversary Air Races. I just about fell out of my chair, as you can imagine! After thanking him profusely and chatting about the races, he left as quickly as he had arrived. WOW...what a cool thing to do!

Okay, so, after I got over the shock 'n aw, I was looking at all the various airplaces depicted and, lo' 'n behold, it hit me like a bolt of lightning...where's the Galloping Ghost? I couldn't believe my eyes...of all the planes not to make the cut....Race 177? Am I missing something? Am I blind as a bat (hopefully) Or, is(was) there some significance to this omission? Please...somebody clue me in. Please tell me I'm stupid and blind and can't see the end of my nose.

Oh, and as for the autograph, he's a mystery, too....David Peters. He's not a driver or owner. Anybody know this guy?

Your humble, ignorant Air Race Fan....cheers,
    Ramjets

Re: About the 50th Anniversary Air Race Poster

I'm guessing that the GG incident left a bad taste in RARA's mouth and they didn't want any reminders. Sweep it under the rug so to speak.
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjets View Post
      PREFACE: Before starting this thread, I went back 10 pages (approx to Aug 27) to search out my inquiry. If there is a thread on this subject, please forgive the duplication and I woud appreciate somebody posting a link to it.

So, there I was sitting at my office desk this morning when, out of the blue, a client showed up and presented me with a framed poster of the 2013 50th Anniversary Air Races. I just about fell out of my chair, as you can imagine! After thanking him profusely and chatting about the races, he left as quickly as he had arrived. WOW...what a cool thing to do!

Okay, so, after I got over the shock 'n aw, I was looking at all the various airplaces depicted and, lo' 'n behold, it hit me like a bolt of lightning...where's the Galloping Ghost? I couldn't believe my eyes...of all the planes not to make the cut....Race 177? Am I missing something? Am I blind as a bat (hopefully) Or, is(was) there some significance to this omission? Please...somebody clue me in. Please tell me I'm stupid and blind and can't see the end of my nose.

Oh, and as for the autograph, he's a mystery, too....David Peters. He's not a driver or owner. Anybody know this guy?

Your humble, ignorant Air Race Fan....cheers,
      Ramjets
      NX79111 is on there. It's just as race 69.

Comment

... and David Peters is the guy that designed the poster.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
          NX79111 is on there. It's just as race 69.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	banghead.gif
Views:	1
Size:	904 Bytes
ID:	227453Geeeze...oh, geeeze....crap!....I'm stupid....I'm soooo friggin's dumb....dirt's smarter than me...DOH! Of course..."Jeannie"!!!! Somebody throw somethin' at me!

Oh, and thank you for identifying David Peters, too.Click image for larger version

Name:	headbang.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	227452

<me crawls back down into his hole>
          Ramjets
          Last edited by Ramjets; 10-18-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

the sad omission is Blue Thunder...
            Todd Smith

Comment

I think all the racers depicted in the poster are winners at one tinme or another of their respective class.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
                the sad omission is Blue Thunder...
                I can't say who should or who should not be on the poster. But I did find it interesting that there were two N111Ls (Conquest 1 and Smirnoff), two N7715Cs (Roto-Finish and Red Baron), and two NXTs. There are five Sport class racers on the poster: two are NXTs and three are Lanciars. It seems to me that the Thunder Mustang and NXT concepts brought a lot of excitement to the Sport Class. I'd think they would both be represented in place of some of the duplication. (Eight Thunder Mustang airframes have been directly involved at Reno with six actually racing.) But I'm sure there are other aircraft that each of us think should have been on the poster. After all, there is only 1 jet, four F1, four biplanes, and five T-6s.

If I had to pick five aircraft to represent the Sport class, they would probably be:
                Sharp's NXT
                LeVelle's Glasair
                Parker's 352
                Greenamyer's Legacy
                and either an RV or Harmon Rocket

And no, not all the aircraft on the poster have been winners. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think these aircraft ever won a race on Sunday: A-26, Speedball Alice, Race 57, Tsunami, Relentless, Czech Mate, Critical Mass, Big Bossman, Miss Ashley II, and possibly others. And if a non-Sunday win is a qualifier, then both BT I and II have done that.

But the poster is art, and art does not need to reflect perfect logic or accurate history (I don't remember any dog competing at Reno).
                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

(Sigh) I was trying to let this go, but I can not stop thinking about it. Where the hell is Bill Stead's Smirnoff Bearcat race 80, as flown by Mira Slovak, which was the official first winner of the Reno Air Races? Shouldn't that one be on the poster before many others? Stead resurrected air racing and started air racing at Reno. Stead Airport was named after his brother. Bill died air racing. No offense to the others, but that man had a lot more skin in the game than most. Seems like a tribute to the last 50 years of air racing would include year one. I'm not a poster fan (only bought one Reno poster ever) and I'm not trying to slam RARA or the artist. I'm just surprised race 80 was not on there (much more so than a Thunder Mustang).

Okay, I feel better. That has been bugging me for a month. I'll be quiet now.
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Working...
                  X