12cyl NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12cyl NXT

Anyone know if this was/is a valid project??
    Attached Files

Re: 12cyl NXT

Originally posted by RichH View Post
    Anyone know if this was/is a valid project??
    I don't remember all of the details, but I believe it was a single seat version with a 2-stroke diesel (mock-up engine in the photo). Lack of funding and/or direction on the power plant left it unfinished. If I am in error in any of these details, I apologize. This is just what I remember from conversations years ago.

Really wish it could be completed. It would have been a wicked beast!

Jeff

Comment

I concur with Wingnut.

It was a valid project but I believe it is dead now. I think Andy Chiavetta was building up that single-place NXT with the 12-cylinder engine. I can't remember if Greenamyer was involved or not, but that little voice in my head tells me he was. The flat 12-cylinder engine was a two-stroke Diesel built by GS Engineering Incorporated out of NV. It was a 640 cu in engine rated around 450 hp. The engine was inspired by the Napier Nomad (without the turbine) and geared toward UAV use. It was displayed at OSH at least one year (2006) and supposedly a prototype ran in 2006. I think the company ceased development due to lack of funds and so, the NXT project died. No idea regarding the current status of either plane or engine.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Am I correct then that three NXT Racer projects were begun but never finished. Gregg Stevenson's, Ken Ross's, and the Trace racer?
        Not too long ago it seemed as though the NXTs would dominate the sport class for good. Hopefully one or more of these projects will be picked up and finished.

Jeff

Comment

Was the Trace Racer going to be powered by a Chevy or something like that? No sign of it on Eldredge's site: http://www.aprobertsarts.com/clients/ace/
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut View Post
            Am I correct then that three NXT Racer projects were begun but never finished. Gregg Stevenson's, Ken Ross's, and the Trace racer?
            Not too long ago it seemed as though the NXTs would dominate the sport class for good. Hopefully one or more of these projects will be picked up and finished.

Jeff
            Maybe. Do I have the below correct?

Completed:
            Sharp - Nemesis NXT
            Eldredge - Relentless
            Wright - Wright Racer(?) - Damaged in landing
            French - Big Frog - Damaged in off field landing
            Simard - Panama

Incomplete:
            Stevenson - Single place diesel - financial issues
            Eldredge/Trace - Trace Racer - financial issues
            Can't remember who owns it - Turbine NXT - issues with the laws of physics

Does Ross own the turbine-powered one? Wasn't there anther?
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Physics? Who cares about physics, it's got a big engine.

Comment

diesel? because Reno is an endurance sport...

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                  Maybe. Do I have the below correct?

Completed:
                  Sharp - Nemesis NXT
                  Eldredge - Relentless
                  Wright - Wright Racer(?) - Damaged in landing
                  French - Big Frog - Damaged in off field landing
                  Simard - Panama

Incomplete:
                  Stevenson - Single place diesel - financial issues
                  Eldredge/Trace - Trace Racer - financial issues
                  Can't remember who owns it - Turbine NXT - issues with the laws of physics

Does Ross own the turbine-powered one? Wasn't there anther?
                  As I recall, there were 10 NXT kits. I recently saw an unfinished one for sale at Barnstormers.com (I think); this project was in Panama.

Dan Wright's was repaired after a hard landing and I've seen it advertised for sale in Trade-A-Plane, but that was more than a year ago.

So, in addition to your list of 8 above, is the project in Panama - where's number 10?

Comment

The guy doing that is a crock. He got a lot of people tobgive him money and grants for engines that just did't work.

Comment

I believe the Big Frog team purchased the un-finished Trace Racer project some time earlier this year.

Comment

Wish more of them were finished, and racing. IMHO, it is the sexiest airplane ever designed.
                        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Someone in this thread references an NXT project at John Parker's shop: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...Trace-Racer!!!
                          Not sure if I remember seeing it there this year
                          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                            Someone in this thread references an NXT project at John Parker's shop: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...Trace-Racer!!!
                            Not sure if I remember seeing it there this year
                            The NXT that was in Parker's shop was the turbine-powered one; I just can't remember the owner's name. There is video of an engine run that Eldredge did in it (here is is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqZOuATiZeU). I think it was getting close to being done when the project changed directions. Of course, being done and having someone do the flight testing are entirely different things. I don't think is has been back at Parker's in the last two years.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                              The NXT that was in Parker's shop was the turbine-powered one; I just can't remember the owner's name. There is video of an engine run that Eldredge did in it (here is is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqZOuATiZeU). I think it was getting close to being done when the project changed directions. Of course, being done and having someone do the flight testing are entirely different things. I don't think is has been back at Parker's in the last two years.
                              Wow that is really cool! Did it ever fly or...?
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X