Wingman's Pylon Photography School 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingman's Pylon Photography School 2013

As some of you know, 2013 was my first year going out to photograph at the pylons after more than 30 years of being a spectator at Reno. I've had a bit of an interest in photography for years, but primarily I took photos of my military flying activities and have very little experience shooting things zooming past me quickly.

I was fortunate that Neal Nurmi spent some of his valuable time giving me some personal tutelage on pylon photography. I was floored that he would take such time passing on the lessons learned through years of pylon shooting to a new guy like me, but incredibly thankful, since I didn't want my time and effort out at the pylons to be wasted on crappy photos learning those lessons myself.

Now that I've finally had some time to sort through my photos, I thought I'd pass on the top ten "Wingman's Pylon Photography Tips" he gave me.

1. "I like to shoot the fixed 300mm lens out there."

Thanks to Nikon, I was able to get one of these babies and use it out there. Man! You can get REALLY close up!

2. "You're going to want to get the shutter as slow as possible for the props.."

So, I did some quick math, and the smallest number I could find on my camera was 1/2000, so that must be it.

3. "But when the jets get out there, you can get that shutter pretty much as fast as you want."

Sweet! Bigger numbers are better, so I figured about 1/30 oughta do it.

4. "Try and get a shot that has the pylon in it with the airplane to give some perspective."

5. "Sometimes it is interesting to show how low the racers are by having some sagebrush in the foreground."

6. "I like to have shots with multiple aircraft in them to really give the impression of racing."

7. "Don't worry about the lighting out at Pylon 8 in the afternoon."

8. "It doesn't really matter what kind of equipment you are shooting, so much as it is a combination of luck, skill, and being at the right place."

9. "Always make sure you have a nice shot of the Unlimited Gold Champion."

Bingo!

10. "...and the most important bit of advice I can give you is, 'f8 and be there'!"

...and there I was!

Re: Wingman's Pylon Photography School 2013

Damn it, Haskins! You have any idea how painful it is to pass a hot Starbuck's ham and cheese breakfast sandwich through your nose at 0625?! That is some of funniest $&!# I've read in a long time!

Hope you enjoyed your experience on the sticks and working with The Master. Speaking for myself, and most likely every photog on here (and dare I say perhaps Wingman himself) we all have a hard-drive full of shots just like those...unless they've all been deleted to destroy the evidence!

Thanks for getting my mornin' off to a light-hearted start! Good stuff...
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Hey, haven't you heard of COPY RIGHT LAWS??? Those look like my pics
      Amazing how we both were able to get the T-6 with the frozen engine (stopped prop) as it was dead sticking.....although I think my T-6 was a different color ............
      Your picture of the pylon is nice........but I think I have some nicer ones.......showing the home pylon......you know with Reno painted on it.......and the airplane going by.......well, about to go by or a blurrrrrrrrr or..........oh heck, they're nice pictures of part of the home pylon and the mountains in the background......oh ya, you can see some airplanes if you really look..........you can see the ones parked along the taxi way out in the sage brush.
      Nice pics.........keep em coming

Brian

Comment

LMFAO!!!

Thast was awesome!

'Gimp
        sigpic
        1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
        Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

You forgot, "Just get a shot of pylon 8, you can drop any plane you want to later in Photoshop".

Comment

See Randy -- I told you that this is not as hard as it looks...

Comment

10/10 would read again!

Comment

Yeah, but the flip side is my brother trying to teach Neal how to fly an F-15.....that's not gonna be pretty.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely Classic!!!! Even had the wifey in stitches.....

.....this really needs to be a T-shirt!
                    Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                    .....or at least make up some "Randy Haskin Precision Aircraft Photography" business cards with it.
                    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

[QUOTE=Randy Haskin;115854]As some of you know, 2013 was my first year going out to photograph at the pylons.../QUOTE]

LMAO BLOKTN(Bud Light on keyboard thru nose).

Thank You!
                      Snidely

Comment

i been shotting the pylons for almost 30 years and it is a challange to photograph out there i never show any of my mis fit photos so here is one and next year i will be taking oics with my new I phone Shawn
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                          i been shotting the pylons for almost 30 years and it is a challange to photograph out there i never show any of my mis fit photos so here is one and next year i will be taking oics with my new I phone Shawn
                          Shawn Aro....how dare you disrespect the art of iPhone photography?!?!?! Neal could learn a thing or two.....

(Thanks Jarrod!)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Big Jim i will need your advice on how to take pictures with my I Phone ? no disrepect what so ever Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                              At least prop blur wasn't a concern on this one!

Comment

Working...
                              X