pic etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pic etiquette

I have a question about pic etiquette. We see lots of fine airplane pics here that I would like to put up on my photobucket site. And there are lots of fine pics, many by the same photogs, on their Facebook sites. As I understand things, if someone puts a pic up on their Facebook site, it is fine to "share" it on Facebook without asking permission of the Photog? Then does that mean it is fine to also share it on one's photobucket site as long as the watermark isn't cropped out? If I see a pic here I want to put up on my photobucket site, is it the proper thing to do to ask permission of the photog first? Or is it assumed a 100k pic is "sharable."?

Re: pic etiquette

Hi Chris...

A photograph posted here is definitely the property of the photographer, and may not legally be posted elsewhere without the artist's permission. Photographers differ in their attitudes toward their work -- some are happy for any exposure they can get -- always make sure they get credit when posting (with permission) any shots copied on the web.

I generally do not like my stuff copied and shared elsewhere. My work represents a huge investment in money and time and hard work over 40 years, and I like to hold it close.

None of us have any real control, though, over what others do with what we post. This is an unfortunate side to the internet. I generally just shrug my shoulders when I encounter some of my stuff stolen and posted elsewhere. If nobody's making money off it it's just not worth the hassle to do anything about it. I do usually contact the poster if possible, and most are happy to take it down (often not realising that anybody might object). I will go after somebody who is making commercial use of something I created.

In general I do not post my best stuff for these reasons, and often crop wings or tails out to make the shot less desirable to steal while still getting across the point. It's a shame, but this is internet reality.

This was a good question -- I hope this helped...

Neal

Comment

I don't make my living with it so...
      I know as an "end user" I will copy shots I like for my desktop collection but I never re-post or share. I know what you guys are trying to preserve for yourself, having had artwork copied and even re-sold over the years.
      I also never use someone else's photo as a basis for a sketch or painting that will be copied or sold UNLESS I have their permission. The exception being something I use simply for practice or for myself. If posted just to show it off I WILL give credit to the original photo I based it on. I use my own photo's as the basis for my work, though sometimes they have an uncanny closeness to others shots as we all seem to go for the same thing! Sometimes I worry about that...
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I'm not a photographer but my opinion is that if you share it on facebook, you shouldn't have a problem with with it being shared on Facebook as that is pretty much the point of Facebook is to share things with other people.

Comment

And that is one of several reasons I do not do Facebook!

Neal

Comment

Which is why Neal and others rarely show us the "good Stuff". It is their bread and butter and too many people use it for profit without acknowledging them.

oops, Neal beat me to it!
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

OK, Neal,Thanks! To be safe then, unless others would like to chime in, I am going to continue to "share" pics on Facebook but If I get images off this site that I want to put up on my photobucket account, I will ask the photogs first.
              Further, it makes sense that if one wanted to take a Facebook pic and put it up on their photobucket site, then they should ask first. That seems fair. I keep about a hundred pics I take from every event I go to for the memories...they may not be good pics, but they have meaning to me. But others here take wonderful pics and I like to include a few of those too.
              If anyone wants to copy and use my pics which I have just found out I can actually post here using IMG technology, they are welcome to do so...
              Hummm...I had a pic of the new P-40 race class around here somewhere......

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              And that is one of several reasons I do not do Facebook!

Neal
              Last edited by Coyote Chris; 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Nice photo, Chris. I'm entirely in favor of a P-40 racing class. Think of the sound!

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                  OK, Neal,Thanks! To be safe then, unless others would like to chime in, I am going to continue to "share" pics on Facebook but If I get images off this site that I want to put up on my photobucket account, I will ask the photogs first.
                  Further, it makes sense that if one wanted to take a Facebook pic and put it up on their photobucket site, then they should ask first. That seems fair. I keep about a hundred pics I take from every event I go to for the memories...they may not be good pics, but they have meaning to me. But others here take wonderful pics and I like to include a few of those too.
                  If anyone wants to copy and use my pics which I have just found out I can actually post here using IMG technology, they are welcome to do so...
                  Hummm...I had a pic of the new P-40 race class around here somewhere......
                  Hey, I think you stole my picture.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Chris's picture is better, though -- better point of view and better exposed. He probably used a real camera though (or at least a Canon)...

Comment

Hi Chris...

A photograph posted here is definitely the property of the photographer, and may not legally be posted elsewhere without the artist's permission.

This was a good question -- I hope this helped...

Neal

Thank you sir. I concur. I don't have the ability to sell my photo work, but I admire those that do. I have enjoyed your work here.

Sindely

Comment

Thank you...

Neal

Comment

Chris's picture is better, though -- better point of view and better exposed. He probably used a real camera though (or at least a Canon)...
                          Chris carries point and shoots as in the last century he carried a big SLR and lenses and used slide film...you know...that stuff that costs a buck every time you pull the trigger....I think the Smithsonian still has some film....

My home for nine days a year....

One of these guys is nuts...

Comment

Working...
                          X