Patriots Jet Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots Jet Team

How does everyone feel about the Patriots Jet Team?...I think they put on a good show...The way they split up and keep aircraft and activity at airshow center almost continuously makes for a very entertaining display...Often the lulls between maneuvers with the Blues , Thunderbirds, and Snowbirds make for a somewhat slow routine, but the Patriots really seem to have developed a performance that keeps the eye to the sky...Just my opinion.

Re: Patriots Jet Team

Love the show, wish they were louder. Although, I only make it a point to sit and watch the entire routine once during the week.
    Sky Critter

Comment

the noise with the thunderbirds and blues is a big negative for me...
      the patriots seemed to have less advertising this year compared to last year! which made it less annoying to watch.
      Todd Smith

Comment

I think their show, from a spectator's point of view, is very chaotic and disjointed to watch, even with Jughead's announcing.

Comment

A lot of people decimate them by comparing them to any of the military jet demo teams. The mistake is they're NOT a military jet demo team, even if they are made up of ex jet-demo team members.

Pluses....there is always something going on in front of the crowd. Minuses....the tolerances are pretty sloppy on things like centerline cross-overs and maintaining formation.

The way I've always looked at it is the military demo teams practice twice a day, every day, except during the shows--that's their only job. My guess is that all the Patriot guys have 'real' jobs and do this on the weekends during airshow season. I'm not sure that's a valid 'excuse', mind you (Horsemen, anyone?), but when the Patriots fly I take it for what it is.

My question is...what is the guy in the back seat of #4 doing? None of the other's have a back-seater. Is he a safety observer? Is he videotaping for review later?
          Attached Files

Comment

Since the demos mean that it's time for my lunch break, potty break, take a nap break...I'm super happy with these quite performances.

With that said, it was excellent to have the CAF back, and something like the Horseman would be super! Bring on the pre-jet era anytime and I'm game.

- Joseph

Comment

In a word: Incoherent.

Comment

it's definitely a bit chaotic, but hearing the announcer helps with that. theyre definitely more polished than they were last year though!

Comment

Tip of the hat to the Patriots. I thought I would never see a civilian jet demo team. It will be interesting to see how they evolve.

Comment

My personal preference is that I usually don't care for jet demo teams of any flavor... BUT, my opinion is not really relevant.. If there's a warbird or racer and particularly, if there are races, then that's what I'M interested in. From conversations with other afflicted (race fever) I think it's always going to be a majority of us who simply come for the racers, both human (the people) and the machines.

ON THE OTHER HAND!! And this is really an important hand, LOTS of folks really do like the jet teams, some of them like the Pat's the best, because they are a bit slower (at times) there are more of them and they are colorful. BeerNazi, particularly, likes jets, racing, flipflopping.. you name it, she likes jets! I gave a young mom and her excited son a ride out to the far east gate and as we drove by the jets, they both ohh'ed and ahh'ed and both said I LIKE THE JETS BEST!

To the credit of those who have kept this event going all these years, have done polling among the audience, over and over watched their numbers with various combinations... they pretty well know what they need to have to get the seats filled.. Face it folks, there simply are not enough of us to support the sport, without the help of the "average" air show fan who view the racing as sort of a novelty.... So bring on the jets!

I think I dragged this a bit because I don't think the intent of the original post was to discuss air show acts v racing but I just had to drag in what I've come to accept over the years..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm just glad they aren't as loud as the Military teams so I can carry on with whatever else I am doing at the time instead of watching the demo. That and they don't eat up as much time as the military teams.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        ....Face it folks, there simply are not enough of us to support the sport, without the help of the "average" air show fan who view the racing as sort of a novelty.... So bring on the jets!.....
                        I do agree with you Wayne. And in that respect, I hope that there can continue to be that type of draw.

Comment

Since we had no military presence due to the jackasses in DC, I welcome the Patriot Jet team. I like their routine, kept something happening at show center all the time and they did a very nice job overall. All of us here are racing junkies, however a large number of folks are out there for the air show and the Patriots filled that void. Well done gents

Comment

While not as proficient as the military teams, they're still fun to observe. As a non-pilot, I continue to marvel at the skills, tenacity and dedication demonstrated by ALL the participants (crew members, pilots, owners, volunteers, et al)
                            Thanks to all for a great year.

Comment

I'm there for the racers as well, but the Patriots from my perspective do a great job. I find myself watching them, which is not true of most of the other airshow acts that do not involve warbirds, or Kent doing his dead-stick act. I will admit, the lack of sound must appeal to me in both acts. If it does not sound like a race engine, who needs it!

Regarding the announcer, he is over the top but I enjoyed the subtle humor in his daily acts.
                              On Friday during the low pass he said he was going to need to lay down for it, which he did...ok.
                              Saturday he said: "This not so low pass is brought to you by our friends at the FAA."
                              Sunday the comment was something to the effect of "To stay out of trouble I have nothing to say about the next pass."

Not sure if it is part of the act, or if there was really some conversation happening, I would guess part of the act, but I got a kick out of it. Not many acts change the dialog daily for the benefit of the people that attend the whole week.

Comment

Working...
                              X