Patriots Jet Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patriots Jet Team

Time to chime in. The young crowd seems to get left out here. My son of 11 years enjoys the whole thing. This year was his second visit to the races. For him, the aerobatic routines are just as entertaining as the races. The louder the better he says. And the faster and more amazing too. He was quite disappointed in not seeing Jetman, and I have heard here (some other thread maybe, I'm not going to hunt for it right now) and at the races too what a waste of time it was. Not for those who have enthusiam for all things flying. Maybe when he gets old and more jaded.... The young ones we bring to the races today are I believe the future of the races so often worried about.

Thanks, John.

Comment

Patriots: This was my third show this year with them. A good team getting more and more crisp each time I see them. I miss the A/B military stuff. And personally, I enjoy all aspects of the show at Reno. I'm there for the racing, don't get me wrong, but I appreciate every performer who decideds to take to the skies and put on a show, regardless of speed or powerplant.

Jetman did fly during the weekend, but was scrubbed on Sunday due to winds. He would have had to drop somewhere over RNO in order to make a landing at Stead in that blow!

Bummer that the boy missed him. His show is at altitude so the jumbotrons were helpful from what I understand. He landed right next to Home Pylon on Saturday and it was interesting to watch that up close. Nice four-point landing!
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I wouldn't call any of the "show center" crossings sloppy. Keep in mind that the Patriots do not have a multi-million dollar telemetry cart and ground crew "making sure" they all arrive on time. They simply don't have the resources (of past) that the military demo teams have. Do I want to see them every year at Reno? No but, I'm quite happy to them alternate with the other teams.

What I didn't care for in past years was when the Arkansas ANG did endless afterburner passes. One pass from each ship would have been just fine.
        Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          My personal preference is that I usually don't care for jet demo teams of any flavor... BUT, my opinion is not really relevant.. If there's a warbird or racer and particularly, if there are races, then that's what I'M interested in. From conversations with other afflicted (race fever) I think it's always going to be a majority of us who simply come for the racers, both human (the people) and the machines.

ON THE OTHER HAND!! And this is really an important hand, LOTS of folks really do like the jet teams, some of them like the Pat's the best, because they are a bit slower (at times) there are more of them and they are colorful. BeerNazi, particularly, likes jets, racing, flipflopping.. you name it, she likes jets! I gave a young mom and her excited son a ride out to the far east gate and as we drove by the jets, they both ohh'ed and ahh'ed and both said I LIKE THE JETS BEST!

To the credit of those who have kept this event going all these years, have done polling among the audience, over and over watched their numbers with various combinations... they pretty well know what they need to have to get the seats filled.. Face it folks, there simply are not enough of us to support the sport, without the help of the "average" air show fan who view the racing as sort of a novelty.... So bring on the jets!

I think I dragged this a bit because I don't think the intent of the original post was to discuss air show acts v racing but I just had to drag in what I've come to accept over the years..
          I agree with you Wayne. I watched them several times from my trailer near the end of the runway near the hangars and thought they put on a good routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
            I wouldn't call any of the "show center" crossings sloppy. Keep in mind that the Patriots do not have a multi-million dollar telemetry cart and ground crew "making sure" they all arrive on time.
            Fair enough...if you consider the entire airport as 'show center'. They were all in the same general airspace.

Just calling it like I see it.

Comment

Working...
            X