Czech Mate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Czech Mate

Anyone out Shafter,CA way get any photos of result of "Czech Mates" ground loop landing?
    Lockheed Bob

Re: Czech Mate

No response to pictures, but any additional details as to condition of Czech Mate??

Comment

I don't have any photos of what happened at Shafter...

But back in 98 Check Mate ground looped at Reno and from what I understand (reading from the board here) is that it ground looped, tore off parts of the landing gear, and bent up the airframe - pretty much exactly like what happened back in 98. Plane was back at Reno in 2000, sporting the paint scheme we see today.

Here's what she looked like after the Reno accident in 98 (sorry for the scan quality - these are from prints, not slides). I would expect the damage from this incident would be similar considering what we've heard thus far.
      Attached Files
      Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
        I don't have any photos of what happened at Shafter...

But back in 98 Check Mate ground looped at Reno and from what I understand (reading from the board here) is that it ground looped, tore off parts of the landing gear, and bent up the airframe - pretty much exactly like what happened back in 98. Plane was back at Reno in 2000, sporting the paint scheme we see today.

Here's what she looked like after the Reno accident in 98 (sorry for the scan quality - these are from prints, not slides). I would expect the damage from this incident would be similar considering what we've heard thus far.
        Wow, Cobra. How did you get out there to get those pictures? They look amazinglly close to the photos that I took....almost....like you were standing right next to me.

Oh, wait a minute.........

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          Wow, Cobra. How did you get out there to get those pictures? They look amazinglly close to the photos that I took....almost....like you were standing right next to me.

Oh yeah... and I remember that walk from the pits over to the end of rwy 14/32 to get those shots. You were walking at a fast clip, and for me (damn near 1 foot shorter then you) that was almost a run. I had to set the shutter speed fast because I was still huffing and puffing when we got there.

Good times
          Mark K....

Comment

I don't have any pictures, but have seen a couple. The damage isn't as bad as what was sustained in 98.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra View Post
              I had to set the shutter speed fast because I was still huffing and puffing when we got there.
              Ah....the high shutter speed explains why your prop-blur sucks.

Comment

Ah....the high shutter speed explains why your prop-blur sucks.
                Mark K....

Comment

Did they have camera phones....way back then ?

Comment

Uh, since this post and topic and airplane is ToTAAllY on topic why mark it off topic?

Comment

So someone could nit-pick it. It was an incident after the races & not at Reno. Its like taking a trip to Paris & showing all the photos,etc & then getting a flat tire in your driveway coming back from the airport Sometime I wonder about some of the posts. I'm sorry we aren't all perfect. It must be time for a cold one.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

No pictures to offer up, but just received additional details regarding the ground loop incident from a fellow Estrella Warbird Museum member. Apparently when Sherm was inbound to Shafter Minter, the engine decided to quit due to a lack of fuel getting to the engine. Sherm was able to get it running again with the hand fuel pump although. Then after lowering the landing gear, Sherm discovered one of the brakes had little or no pedal. Instead aborting the landing and continuing on to an airport with a longer runway (which would be nice on a perfect day) with a engine that could go quiet any minute while hand pumping fuel into the thirsty monster or continue the landing to Shafter which he did have made (he must have been very busy in that cockpit), he made the right decision to make the landing and hope for the best. Since the final approach speed is something nuts like 130 knots or so (I'm guessing here ) he must have eventually ran out of runway with essential no brakes.

And like the saying goes, a good landing is one you can walk away from and a GREAT landing is one where you can re-use the airplane again someday, I'm guessing this will be classified as a GREAT landing. Way to go Sherm!
                        1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by comancheflyer View Post
                          No pictures to offer up, but just received additional details regarding the ground loop incident from a fellow Estrella Warbird Museum member. Apparently when Sherm was inbound to Shafter Minter, the engine decided to quit due to a lack of fuel getting to the engine. Sherm was able to get it running again with the hand fuel pump although. Then after lowering the landing gear, Sherm discovered one of the brakes had little or no pedal. Instead aborting the landing and continuing on to an airport with a longer runway (which would be nice on a perfect day) with a engine that could go quiet any minute while hand pumping fuel into the thirsty monster or continue the landing to Shafter which he did have made (he must have been very busy in that cockpit), he made the right decision to make the landing and hope for the best. Since the final approach speed is something nuts like 130 knots or so (I'm guessing here ) he must have eventually ran out of runway with essential no brakes.

And like the saying goes, a good landing is one you can walk away from and a GREAT landing is one where you can re-use the airplane again someday, I'm guessing this will be classified as a GREAT landing. Way to go Sherm!
                          Cool as a cucumber. Nice job up there Smoot. Hope to see CM being on the ramp 2014! You guys kicked butt this year.
                          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                          X