Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soooo....Nobody's Talking Precious Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soooo....Nobody's Talking Precious Metal?

Paint job and airframe looked VERY sweet.

Thank you Thom, and the crew, for your effort. Thank you for believing in the NCAR enough to prep and bring PM. Thank you.

Gotta believe all the effort will be worth it next year.

I am wearing my PM shirt right now.
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I thought P.M. looked really good, and not just because of the new paint and cool electronics. It looked like a lot of work went into the plane. I was especially happy to see that the ballast was gone from the nose - never like to see extra weight! I'm really curious how the ice trick was done - I don't think I've heard of that before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PM-gold-taxi-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	227380

Comment

Thanks Thom and PM crew for keeping us fans involved. I was soooo bummed when I had heard from a crew member that a camshaft was being changed and might have to run silver on Sunday then turn around and go Gold. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it taxiing out for the Gold on Saturday!

Perhaps it was just me, but I thought I saw more PM shirts, old and new, both days that any other shirt!! Second was probably Strega then Rare Bear. My wife and I wore the Griffon power and 3 view shirts respectively on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
          I thought P.M. looked really good, and not just because of the new paint and cool electronics. It looked like a lot of work went into the plane. I was especially happy to see that the ballast was gone from the nose - never like to see extra weight! I'm really curious how the ice trick was done - I don't think I've heard of that before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20207[/ATTACH]
          It's an old P40 trick from what I understand. Pack the oil cooler and radiator ducts full of ice. I made an ice loader with a plastic oil pan and a broom handle. And the ballest is still there.
          Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 09-21-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Just happen to get a shot of the scoop full of ice.

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20207[/ATTACH]
              The ballast was recast and placed into the Engine Mount Rails. It's there for proper Weight and Balance of the aircraft, but it's recasting is one of many, many small refinements made over the last year to her. In this photo you can see the weight sticking out of the Rail before it was securely locked into place.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

On behalf of Team Knotty Girl I would like to give a BIG thank you to Thom for making an extra stop in Midland and picking up a box critical pieces we needed to finish assembling Knotty Girl. Suffice to say that without Thom's help we may not have raced this year
                Russ
                Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

You know our team loves F1. Thanks to all the F1 teams for voting our hanger mate Kent and his team "Crew of the year". I bet Kent is still carrying that trophy around!

Comment

My son uses the ice trick on his Mini. When going for high power dyno runs he packs a 20 pound bag on top of the intercooler.
                    Remembering PM at her first PRS visit with Thom, smoking, leaking everywhere and very much in need of TLC, she has come a looooong way!
                    As Mac McClain once said, "next year".

BTW it was nice meeting you Russ and thanks again to the whole Knotty crew.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks for being so candid Thom. You and the Precious Metal team performed yeoman's work for reno. I hope everyone gets some much needed R&R and then hits the ground running with more improvements so you can contend for Gold in 2014. Go PM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                        Thanks for being so candid Thom. You and the Precious Metal team performed yeoman's work for reno. I hope everyone gets some much needed R&R and then hits the ground running with more improvements so you can contend for Gold in 2014. Go PM!!!
                        I'm hitting it before he even get's back to FL! As Yoda says "the only thing that matters is the next race".

Comment

I hope we get to see some of the pictures taken by "R2-D2" there under the back canopy.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                            I hope we get to see some of the pictures taken by "R2-D2" there under the back canopy.
                            Don't get me started about that thing! It was annoying and didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                              Don't get me started about that thing! It was annoying and didn't work.
                              I think the best thing it did all week was surprise Carlos when he was in the cockpit working on something after a flight. I have photos of his surprise as the guys working on it powered it up from their laptop outside the airframe and it swung around making R2D2 whiring noises....

Comment

It would have worked great if they would have used some lord mounts between the platform and the airframe.

Comment

Working...
                                X