Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soooo....Nobody's Talking Precious Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soooo....Nobody's Talking Precious Metal?

Surprising that nobody is talking about Race 38's performance with the new modifications. Based on all the pre-races buzz 'round here about #38, I figured there'd be all sorts of talk now after race week. But....tumbleweeds.

From the competition perspective, they had a pretty uninspired performance compared to the "big names". Their qual speed was 23 MPH slower this year than last year, although their race speed Saturday was 24 MPH faster than last year (444 vs 420). Obviously, the great news is that they had a safe year and didn't break anything significant, but the off season mods did not appear to significantly improve overall speed. In "the big show" Thom and 38 were 48 mph average slower, and took almost a minute longer to complete the race, than Voodoo.

By now we all know that this talk of the "ferry engine" vs "race engine" was just a fun bit of disinformation (to an extent), but I have to guess that the somewhat last-minute hybrid engine that they ran with was part of the story. Fortunately, there were no serious breakages, but there was a thrash on Friday to replace a camshaft. Reports on Thursday said that the ADI schedule was putting too much of it in, causing the engine to produce less power and thus the lower qual speed. I never heard if this was changed/fixed, or if it was a factor in the race speeds on Sat and Sun.

My personal impression: obviously the 38 crew has put a LOT of effort and love into the off-season modifications. With respect to the modifications, the new scoop, wingtips, and wing root fairings sure looked good. I can't say I am a fan of the new side-opening canopy, but I absolutely love the new EFIS instrument panel. There was lots of discussion about the paintjob, with opinions falling all over the map. Some loved it, some hated it, but most just sort of shrugged their shoulders and said it wasn't really their cup o'tea. Personally, I'm always of the opinion that the guy who writes the checks to own and operate the airplane can choose to paint it however he pleases. Overall, I say excellent job to everyone who obviously poured a lot of time and effort into making the off-season changes and working their butts off to get the airplane to Reno on time.

Although I'm a long-time critic of the N6WJ airframe, I have to say that the airplane has to now be in better shape than it has ever been. Even though there are still issues to be worked out (like the non-standard hydraulic and uplock system in the main gear that caused some issues early in the week), it is clearly a much safer and cared for airplane today than ever. This I am extremely happy to see, and hope that Thom Richard and crew continue to work on it this upcoming off season and continue to unlock the airframe's potential.

Hopefully @Wild Bill Kelso can drop in here and let us know how it went from their perspective.
    Last edited by Randy Haskin; 09-20-2013, 07:04 AM.

Re: Soooo....Nobody's Talking Precious Metal?

I thought that was N5483V?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      N6WJ is correct

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        Just the tail...just to see how it feels.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
          N6WJ is correct
          He's just joking about the fact that there was some confusion (the most delicate way I can put it) about the N reg and identity of Precious Metal for quite some time after it was initially constructed because the whole H-model tail of the original Precious Metal (which included the N number) was bolted on to the new airframe (as in the photo posted).

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
            He's just joking about the fact that there was some confusion (the most delicate way I can put it) about the N reg and identity of Precious Metal for quite some time after it was initially constructed because the whole H-model tail of the original Precious Metal (which included the N number) was bolted on to the new airframe (as in the photo posted).
            Yeesh, Old guys and their inside jokes............ I was wondering that as I typed

Comment

Thom and Wild Bill have been very quiet since Reno -- sheer exhaustion? They have had quite a year...

But at least they made the show.

I thought the new wingtips were interesting. Too bad they never ran fast enough to see whether they are an advantage.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                Yeesh, Old guys and their inside jokes............ I was wondering that as I typed
                Yeah, well....as Randy pointed out, it was sort of an unintended shell-game.

N5483V was the original Precious Metal from the 70's and early 80's. When the Whittington's built the Griffon bird, they literally unbolted the aft-fuselage from the original and bolted it onto the new airframe....and that included the area where the registration number was painted on. So that number was transferred to the paperwork of the new airframe, but it led a bajillion people to believe that it was the same airframe.

After the accident at Reno '88 they swapped out tail sections and the old plane became N5493V again (and was destroyed in the ditching in the Gulf of Mexico in 1990) and the Griffon bird was re-registered N6WJ.

Comment

Just a small amount of input, since I spent this last year turning wrenches on her in Kissimmee...

It's been a heck of a year working to go through the entire airframe for maintenance and safety issues, in addition to all the mods we did. I would say she is in the best shape of her life, with every little detail checked, control surfaces re-rigged, bearings replaced throughout, etc. If anything hobbled us, it was the unexpected failure of the engine. Much work had gone into adapting and fitting it to the airframe/ supercharger to overcome small differences between the new and old set-up. Much of that was tossed out the door going back to the legacy bottom end. There wasn't any intention of hiding secrets over the engine issue. The engine was the top of the newly built engine and the bottom of the legacy engine. In the end a tired bottom end with a fresh top end can only be pushed so far. I wonder when the original post naming it a ferry motor was put out...it was probably 3:00 or 4:00 am after the new one let go. I took it as the sort of definition you get at that time of the morning, after that much of a heartbreak.

The project was a farther reach than ever before, with some of us new team members in Florida, and the existing folks that had a history with the airframe. Wild Bill Kelso is freaking awesome. His knowledge of the airframe and eye for details is second to none. It was an honor to be part of a team with him. The team took some steps towards integrating the older team members into working with the newer ones. It is certain that this sort of racing is a team effort, and not just a plane and pilot one. Thus far, most of the team members seem to be catching up on sleep. People I have seen nearly every day for the last year haven't been in touch. The last minute thrash over the engine was only the final part of a months long thrash that few know about. I have slept for the last 3 days trying to get back to normal. I am sure once rested, other folks will check in on PM.

On another note- I spent the year wrenching on PM, but traded my wrenches for a camera during the event. I'll be trying to post Race photos and also Build photos over at the Facebook fan page once I get them organized. I have to say that I was on the bus for the Unlimited Gold Final for the pylons with two folks who I figured out were the Haskin Brothers. I would have said hello and shaken hands, but you two kept me laughing the whole time!

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
                    I have to say that I was on the bus for the Unlimited Gold Final for the pylons with two folks who I figured out were the Haskin Brothers. I would have said hello and shaken hands, but you two kept me laughing the whole time!
                    Heh, heh....Hacker and I are kind of notorious for that. We use it to cover up the fact that we really don't know anything or haven't actually done anything. You should have said 'hi'.

Comment

I'm guessing the PM guys gathered a lot of useful data this year. Perhaps they knew they couldn't run at the front this year so they backed it off and saved things for next year.

Hopefully the people who are really in the know will let us in on the "rest of the story"

Here are my PM pics from the weekend

Will
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RAD2LTR; 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM. Reason: Fixed pics

Comment

As of yesterday I know Thom was sitting in AZ waiting for weather to allow him to continue his trek home. I am sure we will know when he has arrived(=

Comment

I think they were going to run a little more power on Sunday but with no 18 wheeler full of tools and a spare engine in it, they backed it off a little, double digit MP, to be able to make it back home in one piece. Team effort? Did anyone notice Saturday the team trashing away at the engine installing, timing, adjusting valves of the new cam they had to go get in California while they were towing the other racers to the line? There was literality a guy holding the valve cover with fresh RTV on it while two more finished timing the engine! I told one of the guys after the race you could just pull that valve cover back of and wipe it off with acetone, he said I know a razor blade would just smear it!

Comment

Originally posted by hg2992 View Post
                            I think they were going to run a little more power on Sunday but with no 18 wheeler full of tools and a spare engine in it, they backed it off a little, double digit MP, to be able to make it back home in one piece. Team effort? Did anyone notice Saturday the team trashing away at the engine installing, timing, adjusting valves of the new cam they had to go get in California while they were towing the other racers to the line? There was literality a guy holding the valve cover with fresh RTV on it while two more finished timing the engine! I told one of the guys after the race you could just pull that valve cover back of and wipe it off with acetone, he said I know a razor blade would just smear it!
                            They were literally tightening Dzus fasteners on the cowls as she was being towed to the line at that point. Don really came through in setting up the new cam in record time....he made a job that normally takes about 5 hours happen in under two hours.

Comment

Is the cam a stocker or a hotter grind?
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X