X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Strega's canopy break?

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
    Epic thread drift. I
    The Bear may not win much anymore... but it still eats threads.

Comment

As a crew chief when the critics start spitting I just ask one simple question of them. "OK... Who wants my job"?! You can test fly, collect data, look at telemetry all day long for months. **** happens in racing! Some times you find the winning combo and sometimes you don't. It's that simple! You can be the best pilot, crew chief, or mechanic in the world and one thing will never change. It's a machine.
      Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 09-29-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
        a 45 deg. bank, which is 2G's.
        It is actually 2Gs that are required to hold level flight in a 60 degree turn.
        Last edited by Randy Haskin; 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
          It is actually 2Gs that is required to hold level flight in a 60 degree turn.
          My apologies to all. Edited to keep the peace and for the betterment of the common good.
          Last edited by Big_Jim; 10-11-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	railbird.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	227409

Comment

These speeds are faster than Gold racer speeds, but gives the general planning performance for various turn radii, G, and bank angles at various speeds.

Obviously, steeper bank angles and higher G may be used, and turn rate and radius will differ under those circumstances depending on the aerodynamics and E-M of that particular aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                These speeds are faster than Gold racer speeds, but gives the general planning performance for various turn radii, G, and bank angles at various speeds.

Obviously, steeper bank angles and higher G may be used, and turn rate and radius will differ under those circumstances depending on the aerodynamics and E-M of that particular aircraft.

We are a bunch nitpickers, I guess I am as guilty as anybody! But, it was 2 g's negative, to get the speed up, according to some people... come on back?

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                  But, it was 2 g's negative, to get the speed up, according to some people... come on back?
                  Personally, I've never seen an airplane that had its best/optimal acceleration at negative 2G.

Comment

It was a 4g inverted dive......
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	top_gun_goose_and_maverick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	227423
                    Last edited by 1:1 Scale; 10-10-2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Re: Why did Strega's canopy break?

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                      It was a 4g inverted dive......
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]20266[/ATTACH]
                      I confess.
                      We made the whole thing up, we never even flew the Bear on that flight, it was a hollogram and cgi, not the real thing...

Comment

Now doesn't that feel better?

Comment

I confess.
                          We made the whole thing up, we never even flew the Bear on that flight, it was a hollogram and cgi, not the real thing...
                          But if the airplane never flew then why is the pilot that wasn't at the controls and the crew that wasn't there being blamed for what went wrong the following weekend?

Will an expert please enlighten me?

Comment

I confess.
                            *cough*bull****!*cough*

No, really, I've got a great Polaroid of the Bear on the flight in question.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just saw an opportunity to lighten the mood

Comment

Funny thing about all of this.
                              A collective group of individuals who were there, witnessed the event, logged the data, ran the numbers and have no reason to lie are being dragged through the mud and called liars by people who were not there and are being fed misinformation and speculation by people who were not there.

Why?
                              To what end?
                              Those of us that were there know. Those that were don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                                Funny thing about all of this.
                                A collective group of individuals who were there, witnessed the event, logged the data, ran the numbers and have no reason to lie are being dragged through the mud and called liars by people who were not there and are being fed misinformation and speculation by people who were not there.

Why?
                                To what end?
                                Those of us that were there know. Those that were don't.
                                What's the over/under in Vegas on how many times this topic will rear its head in different threads? Where's the dead horse emoticon? Good stuff though.

Comment

Working...
                                X