Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Strega's canopy break?

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    Yes Chris I wouldn't want to cloud the facts. Lets cover one of those clouded facts. The race year we are speaking of for Ridgerunner was 2005 where RidgeRunner had an incredible 3 lap race. The problem is it was a 8 lap final. Yes it rocketed by Dreadnought to take second only to DNF lap three. Its in the record book for reviewing by anyone with a computer. It never passed the leader Rare Bear. (Fact) little embellishment by a certain engine builder and the plane owner. No it never went 490 plus as claimed. The numbers are just not there. I think there was mention of it being a heat race. So I looked that up too. Friday race results Rare Bear 1st at 457, Dreadnought 452, RidgeRunner 446.238 Saturday heat race was RareBear 461, Dreadnought 447, RidgeRunner 432.So the facts bare a different reality. Now in regards to Rarebear and the incredible pre-record run I'll say the follow. 1) I have no doubt the Bear was ripping across the sky in Reno. I just spoke with Skip literally five minutes ago. He said he was "indicating 420 in his test with the Bear". He was not going 434 kts aka 500 MPH indicated as I was in Strega on Tuesday. So I raise the B.S flag on this story. Sorry as I hate to cloud the facts like this.

MJ
    Oh and so you can say you saw it for yourself. Go to you tube and look up Reno 2005 Gold Final. You will see Ridgerunner getting by Dreadnought but certainly not running in the 490's as some claim. Its all B.S Dreadnought goes 450 on 3800 HP. Ridge Runner went just fast enough to get by Race 8 and then you can clearly see that it was not leaving Dreadnought in the dust as Brian Sanders upon getting passed upped the RPM to 3100 and 4200 HP. Ridgerunner never came near passing Rare Bear as claimed. Another one of those stories based on poor memory and not fact. This is again is not to cloud the facts.
    MJ

Comment

Yes Chris I wouldn't want to cloud the facts. Lets cover one of those clouded facts. The race year we are speaking of for Ridgerunner was 2005 where RidgeRunner had an incredible 3 lap race. The problem is it was a 8 lap final. Yes it rocketed by Dreadnought to take second only to DNF lap three. Its in the record book for reviewing by anyone with a computer. It never passed the leader Rare Bear. (Fact) little embellishment by a certain engine builder and the plane owner. No it never went 490 plus as claimed. The numbers are just not there. I think there was mention of it being a heat race. So I looked that up too. Friday race results Rare Bear 1st at 457, Dreadnought 452, RidgeRunner 446.238 Saturday heat race was RareBear 461, Dreadnought 447, RidgeRunner 432.So the facts bare a different reality. Now in regards to Rarebear and the incredible pre-record run I'll say the follow. 1) I have no doubt the Bear was ripping across the sky in Reno. I just spoke with Skip literally five minutes ago. He said he was "indicating 420 in his test with the Bear". He was not going 434 kts aka 500 MPH indicated as I was in Strega on Tuesday. So I raise the B.S flag on this story. Sorry as I hate to cloud the facts like this.

MJ
      Well Matt, I have to admit I do not still have the numbers as far as the barometric pressure and temperature that day, and I was not one of the guys with a calculator in my hand. But one factor to consider would be the that Skip and the Bear were about 5000 feet higher in altitude during that flight than you were starting a run on the course.
      Just for fun, (which is why we read these posts, anyhow), can some one run a calculation using the altimeter setting and temp Strega had listed above, and use 10,000 ft for the altitude? Any takers?

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
        Just for fun, (which is why we read these posts, anyhow), can some one run a calculation using the altimeter setting and temp Strega had listed above, and use 10,000 ft for the altitude? Any takers?

Here ya go, plug in your numbers. As far as the airspeed input, it doesn't go high enough so half it and double the answer: http://mye6b.com/e6b.html#_TAS

Skips' Rare Bear numbers: 420 ias (mph?) @ 10,000 ft, 29.92 (est), 85 f deg on the ground @5000 (est) = 3.5 deg cooler per 1k ft (standard lapse rate) (3.5x5=17.5 cooler at 10k vs 5k) 85 - 17.5 = 67.5 deg F (est). = 516 mph TAS

And, if that earlier # of 500 indicated / 562 true is wrong in any detail, by all means, anyone feel free to correct it!

Comment

Indicated was knots. Temp on the ground was in the low 90s if memory serves me correctly.

Comment

What was the date and time in question....

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

Comment

The race year we are speaking of for Ridgerunner was 2005 where RidgeRunner had an incredible 3 lap race. The problem is it was a 8 lap final.

No Matt, it wasn't, it was 2009. Go look at the records for then and also notice that I said "heat race" not final. We did indeed finish ahead of the Bear and there were 3 laps in the area of 491 with a final race average of 478.... My direct comment wasn't aimed at you, but if the shoe fits. There seems to be a lot of bull$hit around here lately.

Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                The race year we are speaking of for Ridgerunner was 2005 where RidgeRunner had an incredible 3 lap race. The problem is it was a 8 lap final.

No Matt, it wasn't, it was 2009. Go look at the records for then and also notice that I said "heat race" not final. We did indeed finish ahead of the Bear and there were 3 laps in the area of 491 with a final race average of 478.... My direct comment wasn't aimed at you, but if the shoe fits. There seems to be a lot of bull$hit around here lately.

Sparrow
                This video of the 2009 Saturday race clearly shows RRIII in third with Rare Bear in fourth:

Final lap Strega (pilot Steve Hinton Jr.) wins race, however cuts pylon. Voodoo gets pole position for Sunday Gold race. Temp high 90's, high density altitud...

Comment

Yes Chris I wouldn't want to cloud the facts. So the facts bare a different reality. Now in regards to Rarebear and the incredible pre-record run I'll say the follow. 1) I have no doubt the Bear was ripping across the sky in Reno. I just spoke with Skip literally five minutes ago. He said he was "indicating 420 in his test with the Bear". He was not going 434 kts aka 500 MPH indicated as I was in Strega on Tuesday. So I raise the B.S flag on this story. Sorry as I hate to cloud the facts like this.

MJ
                  Well Matt, I just got off the phone with Dave.

He said his calculations where a bit on the conservative side. Most of the flight was done at a 45 deg. bank, which is 2G's. But he rolled out at the end, so Dave call's it at 1.5 G's.

He said it was 85 deg. at field elevation, so with standard laps rate, 65 deg @ 10,000'. Dave used an indicated air speed of 417, his formula makes that 566 true airspeed. Glad you talked to Skip, if we use the 420 he told you that would be 575.

I hate to cloud your BS flag with mathematical equations from the man that developed the program, and was there. If you disagree, take it up with him. All I did was wipe the oil off the plane.
                  Last edited by Dialtapper; 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: correct a #

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                    Anyone who was lucky enough to be at Stead the day Skip Holm was flying the Rare Bear testing for the world record attempt last summer can tell you EXACTLY what that sounds and FEELS like, only at about 4 miles per hour faster than the speed that is quoted above, (while in a constant 2G turn).
                    Oh, what could have been....
                    What was the reason the record attempt didn't go down?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      What was the reason the record attempt didn't go down?
                      Because the next guy who sat in the seat was more upset that Skip had been allowed to fly the plane than he was focused on doing his job.
                      There is a whole long locked thread on this site that was all about that fiasco.

Comment

You forgot that it was still running rich so at least 200hp short of peak.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                          You forgot that it was still running rich so at least 200hp short of peak.
                          You are right, Chris.
                          Last edited by toldjaso; 09-28-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                            Well Matt, I just got off the phone with Dave.

He said his calculations where a bit on the conservative side. Most of the flight was done at a 45 deg. bank, which is 2G's. But he rolled out at the end, so Dave call's it at 1.5 G's.

He said it was 85 deg. at field elevation, so with standard laps rate, 65 deg @ 10,000'. Dave used an indicated air speed of 417, his formula makes that 566 true airspeed. Glad you talked to Skip, if we use the 420 he told you that would be 575.

I hate to cloud your BS flag with mathematical equations from the man that developed the program, and was there. If you disagree, take it up with him. All I did was wipe the oil off the plane.
                            After speaking with Skip and John Penny, the power point of 414 Kts which is a lot less then the 435 knots I was looking at by the way on Tuesday canopy test flight was with a slight dive and no g's Not sure where the story came from about the G loading not sure why if you are running power points for the speed run you would be doing G loading tests at the same time. In any event the camera recording the test quit at 60 inches and 3000 RPM. Don't know how anything reported could be considered conservative. I have no doubt the Bear rips as I have seen it first hand. My point is that the test is not validated other than with here say. The plane never had the opportunity to show what she could do. It certainly did not go fast at Reno that year. John Penny who by the way has more race and test time in that aircraft than anyone alive says " All reported performance numbers given on that test series is B.S" The plane would not and has not ever gone that fast ever!!! Please don't shoot the messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post

Sparrow
                              I stand corrected. You are absolutely correct. The Ridgerunner went 477 and change and finished ahead of the Bear in the Sunday Gold. I was in Dreadnought and do remember the day clearly now after reviewing the race footage. I obviously was thinking of 2005. The Bear obviously was down on power or chose not to run very hard considering the speeds we have seen from her in the past. I am not to sure there were any 490 laps, but 478 is a pretty awesome number form the Ridge Runner considering the airframe mod comparisons to the leaders that day. Strega and Voodoo!! I was clearly in error. Danny ran like the wind that day!!! WOW

Comment

Penney wasn't there. We were.

Comment

Working...
                                X