Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Strega's canopy break?

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
    That was the first time I'd been able to see a Gold Unlimited race from the pylons, so I put my Nikon down and didn't take any photos so I could just enjoy watching that first lap and take it all in. I figured that I might as well have my iPhone out and take a video of it just for kicks.
    And here's the fun part. Mike Luvara supplied this screen-shot of the in-cockpit video from Voodoo on the first lap of Saturday's race. Randy and I are the two white dots in the red circle. You can see how close Stevo was to the pylon.
    Attached Files

Comment

supercub;
      RE: judging cuts at the pylon. Nowadays we have at least one judge (sometimes two or more depending on the pylon) standing at the pole or at a point on a line that approximates the racing line, looking back at the approaching racers. You'll notice a few folks at the base of the pylon in this clip...a few in line with the racing line.

After judging thousands of laps, as a judge you get a really good sense of whether or not a racer is in jeopardy of cutting as he/she is approaching the "stick." If you determine there's no chance of a particular racer cutting, you enjoy the pass and focus your attention on the next racer. We typically have 4-5 judges per pylon at various positions at or around the pylon to judge cuts, forced cuts, passing, low-flying (centerline of the fuselage must be above the "can" at the top of the pylon), etc. All judges must concur that a cut has occurred. If one descents, it's not a cut.

This looks like Outer 8 and is a very popular pylon for obvious reasons and is one of a very few that permit media or VIP's.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,
      Last edited by Air Boss; 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

How thick was the canopy ?

I recall F/A-18 Hornet had 16 mm but switched to 18 mm thick.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

just a few notes on all this,
          the canopy was made in spring of 1983 when we built Strega. I told Matt not to speed but who listens to me.
          The Sunday race numbers only tell a part of the story. I track the split at 4 places around the course and on the back side the split dropped to 3.5 seconds on the third pass and then increased again.
          Monday while we were getting the engine serviced for the return flight home we found one of the rockers on B3 had lost the pad. That was one reason for the finish split. we were down 20MPH.
          However theres always next year and it was fun having someone to race with.
          MN

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE NIXON View Post
            just a few notes on all this,
            the canopy was made in spring of 1983 when we built Strega. I told Matt not to speed but who listens to me.
            The Sunday race numbers only tell a part of the story. I track the split at 4 places around the course and on the back side the split dropped to 3.5 seconds on the third pass and then increased again.
            Monday while we were getting the engine serviced for the return flight home we found one of the rockers on B3 had lost the pad. That was one reason for the finish split. we were down 20MPH.
            However theres always next year and it was fun having someone to race with.
            MN
            Mr. Nixon,
            Is the "pad" the surface in contact with the cam and did it grove the cam?

Thank you,
            Steve

Comment

Somewhere on here I read that Matt & Strega were indicating 500 mph when going down the chute to qualify. Assuming that Stregas' airspeed is in MPH vs KTS, the altimeter was 29.92, Stead is at about 5000 ft, and the temp was around 85 deg F, then the true airspeed comes out to be 562 MPH.

That would explain some "awesome sounds never heard before over Stead" on that run.

If anyone has better/more accurate #'s, feel free to correct this.

*To be fair, Lyle Shelton reportedly had a very hot run/low pass in the early 90's during a dawn patrol flight that made similar spine tingling "music". Years ago, I believe Mr Slack said something to the effect of "never heard before or since".

Comment

Matt, Thank you for posting your experiance here! That makes this sport much more interesting in my opinion (as if it could get more exciting!) Believe me, you're appreciated! I was just watching videos of you flying Tom Cruse's Mustang last night on youtube. You're time is definatly overdue! I was in the pits when you started your qual run, and at least where I was standing, everyone was definatly quiet!! I seriously can't wait for next year!! Records will fall!!

Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

then the true airspeed comes out to be 562 MPH.

That would explain some "awesome sounds never heard before over Stead" on that run.

*To be fair, Lyle Shelton reportedly had a very hot run/low pass in the early 90's during a dawn patrol flight that made similar spine tingling "music". Years ago, I believe Mr Slack said something to the effect of "never heard before or since".[/QUOTE]

Anyone who was lucky enough to be at Stead the day Skip Holm was flying the Rare Bear testing for the world record attempt last summer can tell you EXACTLY what that sounds and FEELS like, only at about 4 miles per hour faster than the speed that is quoted above, (while in a constant 2G turn).
                  Oh, what could have been....

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                    then the true airspeed comes out to be 562 MPH.

*To be fair, Lyle Shelton reportedly had a very hot run/low pass in the early 90's during a dawn patrol flight that made similar spine tingling "music". Years ago, I believe Mr Slack said something to the effect of "never heard before or since".

Anyone who was lucky enough to be at Stead the day Skip Holm was flying the Rare Bear testing for the world record attempt last summer can tell you EXACTLY what that sounds and FEELS like, only at about 4 miles per hour faster than the speed that is quoted above, (while in a constant 2G turn).
                    Oh, what could have been....[/QUOTE] Never happened. Sorry but I will not buy that speed with 2 g's on her. Just didnt happen. Fast she is, but not that fast, no one is that fast.

Comment

She was that fast. The sound was amazing! Things happen for a reason some say.
                      JetWaste

Comment

Originally posted by jetwaste View Post
                        She was that fast. The sound was amazing! Things happen for a reason some say.
                        True Dat!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                          Oh, what could have been....
                          Never happened. Sorry but I will not buy that speed with 2 g's on her. Just didnt happen. Fast she is, but not that fast, no one is that fast.[/QUOTE]

It happened.

Sorry Matt, just because you don't buy it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You got no reason to believe thoes of us that where there. But please, call Skip or Dave, then tell us if you don't believe them.

Comment

Don't feel bad Chris. a few folks don't believe RR III went as fast as it did the day we crossed the finish line ahead of the ol Bear in that heat race....... Clouding the issue with facts!!! How dare you----------

Comment

Yes Chris I wouldn't want to cloud the facts. Lets cover one of those clouded facts. The race year we are speaking of for Ridgerunner was 2005 where RidgeRunner had an incredible 3 lap race. The problem is it was a 8 lap final. Yes it rocketed by Dreadnought to take second only to DNF lap three. Its in the record book for reviewing by anyone with a computer. It never passed the leader Rare Bear. (Fact) little embellishment by a certain engine builder and the plane owner. No it never went 490 plus as claimed. The numbers are just not there. I think there was mention of it being a heat race. So I looked that up too. Friday race results Rare Bear 1st at 457, Dreadnought 452, RidgeRunner 446.238 Saturday heat race was RareBear 461, Dreadnought 447, RidgeRunner 432.So the facts bare a different reality. Now in regards to Rarebear and the incredible pre-record run I'll say the follow. 1) I have no doubt the Bear was ripping across the sky in Reno. I just spoke with Skip literally five minutes ago. He said he was "indicating 420 in his test with the Bear". He was not going 434 kts aka 500 MPH indicated as I was in Strega on Tuesday. So I raise the B.S flag on this story. Sorry as I hate to cloud the facts like this.

MJ

Comment

This is almost as good as being there.
                                "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                                X