Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Strega's canopy break?

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
    I heard it, I heard it. Relaxing with a cool one by the RV in the Optimist's lot.

First thought was, "Holy crap, Matt's got the wick turned way up." Then a muffled "POP/WUMP" added to the crescendo; power coming back; slowing; and climbing.
    Yup... was almost unreal! I was totally distracted getting my act together and there he was.. Wish there was some way to really judge this but I'd wager, that's about as fast as I've ever heard any Mustang, ever.. S.... H.. what if!

Missed seeing you... hard to find you without the fun meter in the right place.. Did you get fun meter button??
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
      That's a hard question. Its one thing to drive up behind someone and its something else to get around them. At the rate I was gaining I would have have needed 6-7 more laps just to get to Stevo. I would have run out of gas before getting near him. My failure was not getting near him for the start. Once he made that turn on 4 and took a 9 second lead the race was over for first place unless he broke , which he did not. He is a great driver and made no mistakes, his crew made it happen mechanically and so he smoked the field.

Of course this makes the assumption that the 5 team wouldn't have just kept the wick burning just a bit hotter themselves. We all know that Yoda would have been making the power calls with the goal of keeping Stevo ahead while reining the squirrels in ever so slightly.

No disrespect Matt as you obviously get it (and your radio call post race was pure class) but the coulda, shoulda, woulda of the Strega fans (of which I have been a long time member) is a bit over the top. How about we put an equal amount of effort into tipping our hats to Voodoo crew who got the monkey off their backs this year and gave Bob the win he has been seeking for so many years?

Comment

Originally posted by al baby View Post
        Of course this makes the assumption that the 5 team wouldn't have just kept the wick burning just a bit hotter themselves. We all know that Yoda would have been making the power calls with the goal of keeping Stevo ahead while reining the squirrels in ever so slightly.

No disrespect Matt as you obviously get it (and your radio call post race was pure class) but the coulda, shoulda, woulda of the Strega fans (of which I have been a long time member) is a bit over the top. How about we put an equal amount of effort into tipping our hats to Voodoo crew who got the monkey off their backs this year and gave Bob the win he has been seeking for so many years?
        What exactly do I have to do with tipping the fans hat?? I simply state my position and its up to anyone viewing to state their position. Its called freedom of speech. Please don't tell me people shouldn't have freedom to voice their opinion. I for one think everything is just fine with the Strega Fan Group. You on the other hand have apparently been offended by the typical dialog from excited fans of the sport. I suggest you continue your praise and tip your hat all you want as that is your right. As for the Strega fans, keep up the excitement and lets see what happens in 2014. I want another crack at that trophy.

MJ

Comment

What exactly do I have to do witmh tipping the fans hat?? I simply state my position and its up to anyone viewing to state their position. Its called freedom of speech. Please don't tell me people shouldn't have freedom to voice their opinion. I for one think everything is just fine with the Strega Fan Group. You on the other hand have apparently been offended by the typical dialog from excited fans of the sport. I suggest you continue your praise and tip your hat all you want as that is your right. As for the Strega fans, keep up the excitement and lets see what happens in 2014. I want another crack at that trophy.

MJ
          Matt your a class act. Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to visit this site and share your experiences with us! I an excited about your enthusiasm about 2014!! I can't wait.
          Chris Moldenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
            Thanks for sharing the cockpit experience with us Mr. Jackson.
            Me too. Why did the canopy break...how thick was it ?

Speeds are high; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjyb-p4NuE
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

LAst close up of it ?

Comment

"You on the other hand have apparently been offended by the typical dialog from excited fans of the sport". Matt Jackson.
                Refreshing to see someone on the inside that understands and tolerates dialog from excited fans! Ironic that a former P-51 team went ballistic a few years back when a fan challenged them while the plane they were flying was built to protect freedom of speech. You are winning me over Matt Jackson...a true racer and a great pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
                  Me too. Why did the canopy break...how thick was it ?

Speeds are high; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjyb-p4NuE
                  Holy cr@p!!! Great video - a must see for all here!

Nice find, Juke. Thanks for posting it here.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                    Holy cr@p!!! Great video - a must see for all here!

Nice find, Juke. Thanks for posting it here.
                    My brother shot that video on his iPhone. He posted it on his Facebook page, which was 'shared' with the RARA Facebook page, and then picked up by nearly every news agency across the world. Viral.

Comment

That's a great video, amazing how the camera shakes as the planes go by. I do have a question pretaining to pylon judging. I know years ago, they use to have someone lay on the ground and site up the pole and if any part of the aircraft passed over the pole, it was considered a cut. In that video I don't see anyone looking up the pole. How do they determing pylon cuts now?
                      Brian

Comment

... I could have not worn a seat belt it was so smooth...
                        Matt, Thanks for the first person description, but I think I echo everyone's thoughts here when I say that I'm glad you didn't try this flight sans-seatbelt !!!
                        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                          My brother shot that video on his iPhone. He posted it on his Facebook page, which was 'shared' with the RARA Facebook page, and then picked up by nearly every news agency across the world. Viral.
                          Thanks for the info. Though short, that piece of video really conveys the power, speed and fury of it all. The sound is even pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke View Post
                            This photo is of the "new" canopy bow being built, not the "old" one before it broke.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                              Thanks for the info. Though short, that piece of video really conveys the power, speed and fury of it all. The sound is even pretty good.
                              That was the first time I'd been able to see a Gold Unlimited race from the pylons, so I put my Nikon down and didn't take any photos so I could just enjoy watching that first lap and take it all in. I figured that I might as well have my iPhone out and take a video of it just for kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                                Okay I found it on Paul Iscold site. Good footage..really the spirit of air racing at its best.

Comment

Working...
                                X