X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Strega's canopy break?

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Matt,
    Thank-you for the clear-cut story. Sure would have been an awesome run!

Was excellent to watch you gaining on that little purple pony Sunday.. If only another couple laps!

- Joseph
    Nothing against Matt's effort...but the data that I saw showed that the closest 7 got to the front was about 8 seconds...and that was extended back to about 9 for the remainder of the race. That's not 'gaining'.

Comment

Exactly..... It's not the leaders job to increase the lead, it's second places job to close the gap. Matt and Strega failed on closing the gap. Voodoo won because of a better prepared airplane and crew, a better pilot who did not make mistakes (or excuses) and flat out because they were the best in 2013.

Like Steven said post race when asked "if it was the plane or the pilot"...... Stevo said "neither,it's the crew!"

That's why we all love Stevo....... and that's why he is the Reno National Championship's "MVP"!!!!!!

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
        If I had to do over I would not dive the plane onto the course again at that speed. It seemed like a great idea at the time, I had my spurs on and was there to go fast. I had a perfect day to go smash the qualification record of 499. It was calm and hot. Just perfect to go fast..
        Matt, you have no idea how impressive that run sounded! I was getting some stuff out of my truck out in lot 3, I heard you winding up and it just kept getting higher and higher and louder and louder and it was obvious, something outstanding was about to happen...

It was, indeed, outstanding but I will always wonder.. what if that run had come off as planned!

I don't know if I ever remember hearing that airplane going any faster, anywhere! You were SMOKIN'!!!!

Hope you get another run at 'er Matt!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          Nothing against Matt's effort...but the data that I saw showed that the closest 7 got to the front was about 8 seconds...and that was extended back to about 9 for the remainder of the race. That's not 'gaining'.
          Your data is incorrect. The final time was 7.5 seconds behind after 9.5 @ lap three. So I was gaining after getting through traffic, however I would have needed another 24 laps to catch Stevo at that rate. Stevo won the race with good consistent flying and no mistakes. That's what it takes. He also needs a new motor!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
            Exactly..... It's not the leaders job to increase the lead, it's second places job to close the gap. Matt and Strega failed on closing the gap. Voodoo won because of a better prepared airplane and crew, a better pilot who did not make mistakes (or excuses) and flat out because they were the best in 2013.

Like Steven said post race when asked "if it was the plane or the pilot"...... Stevo said "neither,it's the crew!"

That's why we all love Stevo....... and that's why he is the Reno National Championship's "MVP"!!!!!!

JC
            I don't believe I had made any excuses. Perhaps you should review the facts in evidence JCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
              Your data is incorrect. The final time was 7.5 seconds behind after 9.5 @ lap three. So I was gaining after getting through traffic, however I would have needed another 24 laps to catch Stevo at that rate. Stevo won the race with good consistent flying and no mistakes. That's what it takes. He also needs a new motor!!!!
              Whoo Hoo! Matt, still wish there was some way I could have recorded you coming down the chute from where I was.. I was thinking "epic run"...

I've not heard anyone else comment on the sound as Matt was coming in for the run.. wondering if it was because of where I was located, sort of off site.. (parking lot) sure sounded ANGRY though!

Can't wait till next year!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks for the first-hand account Matt.

#1 Glad you're ok.

#2 Awesome job of flying!! Gonna keep all of us "armchair jocks" salavating for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                  Thanks for the firsthand story, Matt.

I have a couple of friends who have lost the canopy in fighters and trainers, and some of them lost their helmets wholesale afterward due to the air pressure. One squadronmate had a bloody nose from the mask going up over his nose as the helmet was pulled off, and the chin strap on the recovered helmet just unsnapped in the melee. They reported the same dust phenomenon in the eyes that you did. This particular incident happened at about 350 KCAS, so I'm frankly surprised that your helmet did not come off at 435 knots-ish.

Either way, good flying in a bad situation.
                  Do military flight helmets use a metal snap or two D rings like a motorcycle helmet for closure? My memory has them using a metal snap closure which I always questioned the security of the helmet in an accident.
                  Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-20-2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I'm with you Wayne!
                    "Race 7 would like to take the course" and WOW, he was screaming! All these years I don't think I have heard or seen a racer coming in like that and I thought the record was toast. The whole pits was silent except for Strega and a building volume of "Jesus" and "wow".
                    Quite a moment. Unfortunately cut short. Sure glad it all went well for you Matt, great job, and the race Sunday was epic!
                    Can't wait to see what a 1-2 start looks like.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Matt, glad to see you posting again. Awesome race on Sunday, congratulations on a first class run.

You've flown so many racers now (what, 4 of the ones in the air Sunday? Strega, Bear, Voodoo, Dreadnought?) that's quite a resume. Love to watch your line whatever your in.

Comment

Well Matt you didn't get the lap record but maybe you just broke the record for the world's fastest convertable.

Comment

Just wondering, any more Mustang canopies lying around or should someone start making some?

Comment

While we have Matt onboard, like to ask one question. As Matt stated, his data shows he was gaining on Steve. The big question is how much faster do you have to be to make the pass assuming no mistakes are made?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                              While we have Matt onboard, like to ask one question. As Matt stated, his data shows he was gaining on Steve. The big question is how much faster do you have to be to make the pass assuming no mistakes are made?
                              That's a hard question. Its one thing to drive up behind someone and its something else to get around them. At the rate I was gaining I would have have needed 6-7 more laps just to get to Stevo. I would have run out of gas before getting near him. My failure was not getting near him for the start. Once he made that turn on 4 and took a 9 second lead the race was over for first place unless he broke , which he did not. He is a great driver and made no mistakes, his crew made it happen mechanically and so he smoked the field.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                                I've not heard anyone else comment on the sound as Matt was coming in for the run.. wondering if it was because of where I was located, sort of off site.. (parking lot) sure sounded ANGRY though!
                                I heard it, I heard it. Relaxing with a cool one by the RV in the Optimist's lot.

First thought was, "Holy crap, Matt's got the wick turned way up." Then a muffled "POP/WUMP" added to the crescendo; power coming back; slowing; and climbing.

Comment

Working...
                                X