voodoo history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voodoo history

so since voodoo won i think it would be cool on hear to learn her history like learn when she got her turtle neck when it was painted in its currant paint job if they ever changed the purple color meaning going with a purple that has more red than blue in it for how long did it have the sharp spinner on it and the last question i have is for a time voodoo looked like a p-51d but was in the voodoo paint job how long did this last ?

Re: voodoo history

Voodoo is the ex-Bill Speer "Pegasus". Bob Button purchased it from the Speer estate in 1994/5. For 1995 and 1996 it raced in it's 'semi stock' condition that it had as "Pegasus" and was called "Voodoo Chile". In 1997 they took it to Shafter and had Tiger put the turtledeck/canopy on it. Raced in bare metal that year as the program wasn't finished. In 1998 it was white and renamed "Voodoo" because Button was tired of people referring to it as "Voodoo Chili" instead of "Voodoo Chile". It was given the purple scheme and pointy spinner in 1999 (I think that only lasted two or three years).

I think it was turned back to the stock canopy in 2004 and raced that way as a 'super stock' until after Reno 2008". With the addition of Kerch & Crew in 2009 it had the turtledeck and racing canopy re-installed.

Pilots for "Voodoo Chile/Voodoo" include: Delbert Williams, Bob Hannah, Sherman Smoot, Matt Jackson, Curt Brown, Bob Button, Will Whiteside, and now Stevo....and bonus nod's to ill-fated test flights by Skip Holm and Darryl Greenamyer.
    Last edited by Big_Jim; 09-19-2013, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      Voodoo is the ex-Bill Speer "Pegasus". Bob Button purchased it from the Speer estate in 1994/5. For 1995 and 1996 it raced in it's 'semi stock' condition that it had as "Pegasus" and was called "Voodoo Chile". In 1997 they took it to Shafter and had Tiger put the turtledeck/canopy on it. Raced in bare metal that year as the program wasn't finished. In 1998 it was white and renamed "Voodoo" because Button was tired of people referring to it as "Voodoo Chili" instead of "Voodoo Chile". It was given the purple scheme and pointy spinner in 1999 (I think that only lasted two or three years).

I think it was turned back to the stock canopy in 2004 and raced that way as a 'super stock' until after Reno 2008". With the addition of Kerch & Crew in 2009 it had the turtledeck and racing canopy re-installed.

Pilots for "Voodoo Chile/Voodoo" include: Delbert Williams, Bob Hannah, Matt Jackson, Curt Brown, Bob Button, Will Whiteside, and now Stevo....and bonus nod's to ill-fated test flights by Skip Holm and Darryl Greenamyer.
      If i remember rightly, and others may correct me if im wrong, but wasnt it 98 that bob hannah had the trim tab depart and have the uncommanded pitchup?
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
        If i remember rightly, and others may correct me if im wrong, but wasnt it 98 that bob hannah had the trim tab depart and have the uncommanded pitchup?
        Yes. And somewhere I still have the audio tape that I made during the Sunday morning pilot briefing where he got up in front of everyone and talked about what happened. Gives you chills.

Comment

There is a P-51 in the RAF Museum at Cosford in the UK that has the same identity as Voodoo. Bacically as I understand it Voodoo was built up from parts, using the identity and paperwork of a crashed example, the left-over parts from the crashed wreck were used to build up a static P-51 'shell' that was used in an exchange with the RAF Museum.

Comment

big jim thank u for helping me figure things out with this plane

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCLAW777 View Post
              big jim thank u for helping me figure things out with this plane
              S' aw right.....
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCLAW777 View Post
                if they ever changed the purple color meaning going with a purple that has more red than blue in it ?
                I don't know if its ever been completely re-painted since the original version of the current scheme or not. Certainly many parts have been repainted, as the whole wing was stripped and re-worked at least once, the turtldeck went away then came back, etc. In one of the videos that Bob Button used to put up on the Voodoo website- now quite a few years back- he mentioned that when time and finances allowed he wanted to re-paint it in "the more saturated Mopar colors." Ironically I'm a Mopar (slang for Chrysler product vehicles) owner/hobbyist- see avatar, and it hadn't clicked with me until then that Voodoo is painted very close to 3 of the late 60s/early 70s Mopar "High Impact" option colors: Plum Crazy Purple, Top Banana, and SubLime (those are the Dodge names, the same colors in Plymouth are InViolet, Lemon Twist, and LimeLight) .

Just judging by photos, I think it must have gotten a repaint because the current colors do look a lot more vivid than the first 1990s incarnation. But it may just be photo quality, too.

Comment

Working...
                X