Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to Strega?

Originally posted by John View Post
    Do Strega and Voodoo use different reduction gearing to the prop? ...just wondering, since Strega's prop is a little shorter.
    Strega's prop modification wasn't exactly a top-down design, it was more a case of making lemonade out of lemons.

Going from memory:

A few (well... MANY) years ago, the prop was dinged on landing after the races. The damage was mild enough that cutting down and re-profiling the tips saved the blades, and the new tip profile may well have some advantages in reducing tip shockwave formation.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
      Hasn't Strega been considerably faster than Voodoo over the last few years? Is it something different with the plane, or is Stevo just that much better of a pilot?

Strega has been faster than VooDoo, but VooDoo certainly ran fast enough to keep Strega honest when she ran in the past...VooDoo had a few mechanical issues over the years...Then we had the 2010 wind cancellation of the Gold and of course the tragedy of 2011 which really kept VooDoo from showing what she could do...Both of those years I know the team and pilot felt they had a legitimate shot at beating Strega on Sunday, but never got the chance to do so...Then she sat out 2012...2013 brought some troubles for Strega that they had not experienced for many years so that combined with VooDoo having a near flawless year (and of course Stevo) finally allowed them to show what that team has had for a while...I truly believe if Will Whiteside would have been flying VooDoo this year the results would have been the same...A Championship...Remember Will and VooDoo won a Gold heat (3A) in 2009 that averaged a higher speed than VooDoo won with last Sunday so I have to assume they would have run fast enough to beat Strega with her troubles and the others this year with either pilot...Certainly not taking anything away from the 5 time champ, just think things finally fell just perfect for them and they took advantage with a perfect team effort... it was great to see... I congratulate Team VooDoo for a job well done not only this year , but for all the years when they were so close.
      Last edited by johnnyrace; 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
        Hasn't Strega been considerably faster than Voodoo over the last few years? Is it something different with the plane, or is Stevo just that much better of a pilot?

Strega has been faster than VooDoo, but VooDoo certainly ran fast enough to keep Strega honest when she ran in the past...VooDoo had a few mechanical issues over the years...Then we had the 2010 wind cancellation of the Gold and of course the tragedy of 2011 which really kept VooDoo from showing what she could do...Both of those years I know the team and pilot felt they had a legitimate shot at beating Strega on Sunday, but never got the chance to do so...Then she sat out 2012...2013 brought some troubles for Strega that they had not experienced for many years so that combined with VooDoo having a near flawless year (and of course Stevo) finally allowed them to show what that team has had for a while...I truly believe if Will Whiteside would have been flying VooDoo this year the results would have been the same...A Championship...Remember Will and VooDoo won a Gold heat (3A) in 2009 that averaged a higher speed than VooDoo won with last Sunday so I have to assume they would have run fast enough to beat Strega with her troubles and the others this year with either pilot...Certainly not taking anything away from the 5 time champ, just think things finally fell just perfect for them and they took advantage with a perfect team effort... it was great to see... I congratulate Team VooDoo for a job well done not only this year , but for all the years when they were so close.
        Last edited by johnnyrace; 09-19-2013, 02:40 AM.

Comment

According to a very reliable source, Steve brought a few speed secrets to the Voodoo camp. I also heard what caused Strega's canopy to shatter but I ain't sayin. It was definitely Voodoo's year and well deserved.

Comment

It's just like the previous (fill in the blank) years.... The Team that shows up 100% prepared to race has the edge on the rest of the field. The only team that was 100% ready to race for the Gold PRIOR to showing up at Stead was Voodoo.

I believe it's the months prior to the race that have the most bearing on the outcome. In the recent past the Team that proved this was Strega, this year... it was without a doubt Voodoo.

No offense to Will but Voodoo would not have even been there if Steven did not Pilot it. Bob packed it in and that was that... UNTIL Stevo became available. He is far from just the Pilot, he is a very important crew member that pours his heart into the airplane and the Team. This contributes greatly in creating a cohesiveness that is required for every member of a Team to give 110%.

There was a Paradigm shift in the mood and spirit in the Voodoo camp when Steven came aboard and I believe that was one of the greatest contributing factors to The Voodoo Team feeling and believing they had the winning combination.

Mike Nixon builds an incredible engine, but I think Team Strega proved this year that a winning Team takes a hell of a lot more than a Kick Ass engine that can survive a thrashing and a fast airplane.

JC

Comment

I also heard what caused Strega's canopy to shatter but I ain't sayin.
              Probably the same reason I heard Steve Jr. and Senior talking about in the Voodoo pit...

I would agree with JCP, they just seemed to all have their collective "stuff" together. I hope Mr. Button decides to continue on. Maybe it's worth it to him now after all those years oj missing it by "that much"!
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                According to a very reliable source, Steve brought a few speed secrets to the Voodoo camp. I also heard what caused Strega's canopy to shatter but I ain't sayin. It was definitely Voodoo's year and well deserved.
                Han's Please explain why the canopy exploded I would like to hear what really happened from someone in the know!!!

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                  Han's Please explain why the canopy exploded I would like to hear what really happened from someone in the know!!!

MJ
                  What would you know about it?
                  Jarrod

Comment

MJ
                    Uh oh, Hans was attempting to play the ever popular message board game, "I know something you don't" game. But the man that was actually flying the plane showed up.

Steve

Comment

MJ
                      ...LOL! ...pretty dang funny there MJ...

Comment

Oh man!! I am laughing over here!!

Never play the "I know something you don't know" game on a message board where real racers post.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
                          Oh man!! I am laughing over here!!

Never play the "I know something you don't know" game on a message board where real racers post.
                          I thought that Hans was thinking what he heard was conjecture so he wasn't saying not that he knew something someone didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
                            I thought that Hans was thinking what he heard was conjecture so he wasn't saying not that he knew something someone didn't.
                            Maybe. I read it the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleup View Post
                              Maybe. I read it the other way.
                              It seems he would have said "I know what happened" instead of "I heard what happened" if that was the case.
                              "Know" would imply that he is "in the know". Anyway maybe he can clear his intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah View Post
                                It seems he would have said "I know what happened" instead of "I heard what happened" if that was the case.
                                "Know" would imply that he is "in the know". Anyway maybe he can clear his intentions.
                                I get it. But why even say it? If you have no intention of telling people something you heard. Don't tell them that you heard something but are not going to say anything. It is nothing more than a "look at me" post.

Glad Matt was kind enough to clear it all up for us. And hopefully Hans.

Comment

Working...
                                X