What happened to Strega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Strega?

Sorry for being uninformed, but I'm not having any luck finding out what happened to Strega.

Re: What happened to Strega?

Started from the back due to failure to qualify. Raced to a second place finish on sunday.

Comment

During their qualifying laps for Gold, the canopy came apart and left the aircraft. (The Team fabricated a replacement one over in the Sport Hangers.)That placed them in the Silver field instead of the Gold. This means they had to race their way back up into the Gold class. In the Silver heat, Matt got DQ'ed for going past a border, which kept him where he was. He raced his way back to his finally Gold finish after starting down in the roster for the Gold.

Comment

huh? Strega did not get DQ'ed on saturday. If he had he would not have been racing only Sunday gold, he would have had to win sunday silver and then bump to gold

Last edited by flyingjibus; 09-18-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

DQ was Friday. http://reports.airrace.org/2013/2013...ts.Report.html

Comment

Due to the canopy failure described above Strega started the Heat race on Friday in last place and finished first, but was DQ'd for cutting the showline (I believe it was on the west side). As a result, Strega started in the last position in Saturday's Heat race and finished first. Strega started Sunday's Gold race in the 7th position and raced to a 2nd place finish.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of things went wrong...what was their fastest speed this year?

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                Sounds like a lot of things went wrong...what was their fastest speed this year?
                THey looked just as fast as Voodoo, maybe catching up a little bit. By my eyeball and wristwatch, I had about 9 seconds between them on lap 2 or 3, and that dropped maybe 2 seconds by the end. Perhaps Strega was slighty faster, (I'd like to see the individual lap speeds.) But not fast enough to makeup for Voodoo's pole position from near the back of the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  (I'd like to see the individual lap speeds.)
                  Where can one find that information?

Also, How did the average lap times hold up to previous years? Or can you really tell since there have been changes in the course?

Thanks
                  Jeffe

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    THey looked just as fast as Voodoo, maybe catching up a little bit. By my eyeball and wristwatch, I had about 9 seconds between them on lap 2 or 3, and that dropped maybe 2 seconds by the end. Perhaps Strega was slighty faster, (I'd like to see the individual lap speeds.) But not fast enough to makeup for Voodoo's pole position from near the back of the pack.
                    Strega was no closer than on the first lap (about 3-4 seconds). After that, it was 8-10 seconds the entire race. He was nowhere near 2 seconds behind at the end.

The individual lap speeds are not published or generated from what I know.

Michael

Comment

Hasn't Strega been considerably faster than Voodoo over the last few years? Is it something different with the plane, or is Stevo just that much better of a pilot?

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                        Hasn't Strega been considerably faster than Voodoo over the last few years? Is it something different with the plane, or is Stevo just that much better of a pilot?
                        The airplanes have different engine philosophies. Voodoo out accelerates Strega on the start whereas Strega takes a bit to get spooled up.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                          The airplanes have different engine philosophies. Voodoo out accelerates Strega on the start whereas Strega takes a bit to get spooled up.

Michael
                          Do Strega and Voodoo use different reduction gearing to the prop? ...just wondering, since Strega's prop is a little shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                            Strega was no closer than on the first lap (about 3-4 seconds). After that, it was 8-10 seconds the entire race. He was nowhere near 2 seconds behind at the end.

The individual lap speeds are not published or generated from what I know.

Michael
                            I didn't say that the lead was 2 seconds at the end. I said he caught up maybe 2 seconds of the 9 seconds he was behind on lap 2 by the end. My eyeballs and watch aren't as accurate as your instrumentation, but theyre pretty good.

My point was that from Section E, it looked like the Witch was gaining a little bit. Might have been a better race if not for the canopy and the DQ.

Cheers to team Voodoo.

Pete

Comment

Just looked it up. Difference at the end was about 7.8 seconds.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X