Best online source for Cassutt Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best online source for Cassutt Info

Curious if any of our resident race experts might be willing and able to point a guy in the direction of a solid online reference for the Cassutt design. Since Ib's accident it seems hard to locate much. I have found Des's cassutt-racer.com site from the UK but am hoping there is something deeper/more technical out there like Sonerai.net or the RansClan sites.

Also, are there any experienced Cassutt pilots in the SoCal area who might be able to help with an inspection of a possible project plane?

Thanks in advance.

'Gimp
    sigpic
    1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
    Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Re: Best online source for Cassutt Info

Originally posted by AcroGimp View Post
    Curious if any of our resident race experts might be willing and able to point a guy in the direction of a solid online reference for the Cassutt design. Since Ib's accident it seems hard to locate much. I have found Des's cassutt-racer.com site from the UK but am hoping there is something deeper/more technical out there like Sonerai.net or the RansClan sites.

Also, are there any experienced Cassutt pilots in the SoCal area who might be able to help with an inspection of a possible project plane?

Thanks in advance.

'Gimp
    I spent the week shooting photos for the Formula One publication "Formula Forum". I met an amazing group of folks there. I saw teams throwing it all into getting their competitors planes into the air. There is a huge brain trust for what you are looking for within their ranks. Kent Cassel's and his "Margaret June #99" is a friend of mine, and I have seen him utilize the help from the group over this last year- and at the event. I suggest joining their Association, as they have a newsletter and encourage folks to get involved. I will post their contact information as soon as I dig it out of my suitcases as I settle into being home from Reno...

Comment

Here is a link to the Formula One Racing Association. You can join as an Associate member and have access to everything and everybody the full members have access to.

http://www.ifoneairracing.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
        Here is a link to the Formula One Racing Association. You can join as an Associate member and have access to everything and everybody the full members have access to.

http://www.ifoneairracing.com/wordpress/
        Thanks LoveOldPlanes! I knew about the association but not the blog - I'll check it out.

'Gimp
        sigpic
        1987 Yakovlev Yak-52

Comment

Krieton king of Salt Lake City , Utah now owns the rights and tooling for the Cassatt, owl, shoestring and stockbarger wings for cassutts, he bought the rights from ibs wife , ill try to get his number but you can find him on FB on the friends of if1

Comment

Just ask also we f1 guys prob already know the airplane your looking at

Comment

There are plenty of IF1 people in the LA area that can help you.

Comment

Hey Gimp. Krieton is a member of my local EAA chapter. I'll dig up his contact info and PM you.

Craig

Comment

Thanks all. I'd appreciate contact info for Creighton King who now owns the rights - I'll try Friends of IF1 on FB.

My local EAA Chapter (14) has a lime green and black Cassutt that belonged to Ron Schuler before he passed away after Reno last year. I don't recall the N number but the guys in the chapter seem scared of it. I believe it is the 15' race wing. Ron had owned it since trucking it down, from Reno I believe, in 2010.

I'll see if I can get the N number and history. I haven't seen it for a year or two but it might make a good starting point for me or someone else. Might need a recommendation for help with a pre-buy inspection and have someone fly it to ensure it is OK.

Thanks

'Gimp
                  Last edited by AcroGimp; 09-22-2013, 08:56 AM.
                  sigpic
                  1987 Yakovlev Yak-52

Comment

I think that was an Aussie Cassutt prior to coming to the states? VH-ANN
                    Last edited by Idaho_cowpony; 09-22-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                      I think that was an Aussie Cassutt prior to coming to the states? VH-ANN
                      Broseph that rings a bell, I think it did/does have a foreign registration. Seemed complete when I last saw it, now I may have a place to start my research.

Thanks!

'Gimp
                      sigpic
                      1987 Yakovlev Yak-52

Comment

Just verified, it is VH-ANN

Any info from the braintrust? Ron never did register it according to a quick FAA search.

'Gimp
                        sigpic
                        1987 Yakovlev Yak-52

Comment

Nothing else that I recall.. But it's older, not sure when it was made, or by who..but guessing late 80's?
                          Am on the FASA TS this afternoon, maybe I can dig up some info on it.

- Joseph

Comment

Take great care in purchasing an old Cassutt or any older F1 with a wooden wing. Some the older two part glues haven't stood the test of time. They can get brittle and pull away from the wood leaving ribs, as an example, not attached to the spar. A Cassutt wing with bad glue joints could be dangerous. But, a great and fun airplane for certain.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by shorebird View Post
                              Take great care in purchasing an old Cassutt or any older F1 with a wooden wing. Some the older two part glues haven't stood the test of time. They can get brittle and pull away from the wood leaving ribs, as an example, not attached to the spar. A Cassutt wing with bad glue joints could be dangerous. But, a great and fun airplane for certain.

Dennis
                              Good point Shorebird, thanks. Looks like the Cassutt was built in Australia in the late 70's ('78-'79), apparently SN 39 or so. I am reaching out to Crieghton King for info (he bought the rights from Ib's widow Susan) and I will try and go spend some time with the plane for an initial inspection this weekend. If it is flyable and the price is right, might be fun, if it is salvageable and the price is right, it might make a good start for an acro/racer mount with a new wing.

Still very very early, just looking at options and learning more about the design now.

'Gimp
                              sigpic
                              1987 Yakovlev Yak-52

Comment

Working...
                              X