Observations from Inside the Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Inside the Course

First and foremost, a terrific week of racing in all classes, conducted safely. Some bent metal here and there (the “mid-ground” with the Hellcat and Jetman vehicle was a little troubling) but everyone goes home healthy. Just what the doctor ordered for RARA and sets up really well for 2014.

Congrats to all the class winners and those who pushed them hard throughout the week. It’s important to remember that without all the participants who spend their time, money, and energy each and every year to challenge themselves and their equipment (most knowing full well they’re not likely to finish near the top)…well, they call that an Air Show, not an Air Race.

Attendance seemed strong…much stronger that last year which we all know was down for obvious reasons. The view I have from Home Pylon showed GA pretty well packed, and Reserved had a nice crowd on Saturday and much stronger than that on Sunday. I can’t gauge the pit area or the box seats too well from my perspective but trust they were at or above average. Hopefully concessions reflected that as well.

Was impressed with LiveAirShow’s work online and postings to RARA’s site was very timely. Well done to all! Certainly added much to the event and hope it’s bigger and better next year!

Now…about some of the nay-saying here. I know I may piss-off some folks but we all wear big boy pants. After all this sport has been through in the last two years, we have folks here bitchin’ and moanin’ about jumbtron advertisements, greedy owners, a modified UNL racecourse, feeling good about not attending this year, and on…and on…and on? Really? To quote ESPN, ”Come ‘On Man!” Do you really have to throw stones, cold water, and find fault around every corner?

To those who chose to enjoy the races from one vantage point or another without contributing to RARA’s coffer’s (e.g. buying GA tickets, pit passes, concessions, on line purchases, etc.) spare me the rant. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but unless you put some serious $$$ behind it, it’s like bitchin’ about elected officials and not bothering to vote. It seems some folks just can’t seem to enjoy themselves without finding a way to suffer through it. The old puritanical ethos that anything worth having must be accompanied by a certain measure of pain is alive and well apparently. And while I’m at it…if you’re a Valley of Speed fence-liner and have issues with getting dusted by Judges, Contest, and Security vehicle traffic that must travel along the inside of the west fence…got a suggestion for you. Buy a ticket, see the show. Not much dust in the grandstands/pits. Otherwise, go pound sand…you’ll have plenty.

Virtually every race team, vendor, supplier, volunteer group, and other supporters at Reno expends extraordinary amounts of blood, sweat, tears, and dollars to put on the fastest motorsport in the world for us to enjoy and/or participate in. We owe each and every one of them our appreciation and support. Sitting at a monitor cranking out complaints about owners, RARA, how it’s the last year for the races (had an original thought lately?), et al, adds no value to the process and only serves to distract from the mission. Ask yourself…what have I done to make Reno even better year after year? If you’re honest and the answer is not a helluva lot, then the problem is looking back at you every morning in the bathroom mirror.
    Lead, follow…or get the hell out of the way.

Target acquired…got good tone? Go ahead, fire away.
    Last edited by Air Boss; 09-17-2013, 02:34 PM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: Observations from Inside the Course

Spot on Judge!!!

I second that emotion!

Wolfee

Comment

Thanks, Owen, for putting in print some of my feelings. For many years I have had negative feelings about "Fenceliners", who never came in or paid an admission (I mistakenly thought). I have sold wristbands to my fellow NAG members on Monday and Tuesday out at the ticket booth at the Main Gate for many years, so this year, just for fun, I would ask them where they would be viewing the races. To my delight, many replied "from the fenceline". Way to go, Peeps!!!. They also bought the usual things such as programs, posters, etc. early to safely put away before the racing started.

Comment

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I am one of those judges that had to use the fenceline road when trying to hurry out to my pylon. I am sorry if I may have dusted anyone, but I would rather risk the offense of a few on the fence than get the races in trouble for traveling on the course during the race. I had FAA at my pylon almost every day. We had a great race this year and everyone went home safe. Because of that, the FAA was looking for other things to piss and moan about. The number one concern they picked out was unauthorized individuals encroaching on the course. Specifically they were looking at the Northwest fenceline that for the first time this year was off limits to campers and spectators. Sorry that you had to be pushed out, but I prefer that to the FAA shutting down the races or shrinking the course in the future. I have my own feelings about those that watch the races without contributing financially to keep them going, but I'm not going to go any further on that. I will hope that those people would at least follow the rules that the FAA has set out for the event so we can continue to have the races.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
          First and foremost, a terrific week of racing in all classes, conducted safely. Some bent metal here and there (the “mid-ground” with the Hellcat and Jetman vehicle was a little troubling) but everyone goes home healthy. Just what the doctor ordered for RARA and sets up really well for 2014.

Congrats to all the class winners and those who pushed them hard throughout the week. It’s important to remember that without all the participants who spend their time, money, and energy each and every year to challenge themselves and their equipment (most knowing full well they’re not likely to finish near the top)…well, they call that an Air Show, not an Air Race.

Attendance seemed strong…much stronger that last year which we all know was down for obvious reasons. The view I have from Home Pylon showed GA pretty well packed, and Reserved had a nice crowd on Saturday and much stronger than that on Sunday. I can’t gauge the pit area or the box seats too well from my perspective but trust they were at or above average. Hopefully concessions reflected that as well.

Was impressed with LiveAirShow’s work online and postings to RARA’s site was very timely. Well done to all! Certainly added much to the event and hope it’s bigger and better next year!

Now…about some of the nay-saying here. I know I may piss-off some folks but we all wear big boy pants. After all this sport has been through in the last two years, we have folks here bitchin’ and moanin’ about jumbtron advertisements, greedy owners, a modified UNL racecourse, feeling good about not attending this year, and on…and on…and on? Really? To quote ESPN, ”Come ‘On Man!” Do you really have to throw stones, cold water, and find fault around every corner?

To those who chose to enjoy the races from one vantage point or another without contributing to RARA’s coffer’s (e.g. buying GA tickets, pit passes, concessions, on line purchases, etc.) spare me the rant. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but unless you put some serious $$$ behind it, it’s like bitchin’ about elected officials and not bothering to vote. It seems some folks just can’t seem to enjoy themselves without finding a way to suffer through it. The old puritanical ethos that anything worth having must be accompanied by a certain measure of pain is alive and well apparently. And while I’m at it…if you’re a Valley of Speed fence-liner and have issues with getting dusted by Judges, Contest, and Security vehicle traffic that must travel along the inside of the west fence…got a suggestion for you. Buy a ticket, see the show. Not much dust in the grandstands/pits. Otherwise, go pound sand…you’ll have plenty.

Virtually every race team, vendor, supplier, volunteer group, and other supporters at Reno expends extraordinary amounts of blood, sweat, tears, and dollars to put on the fastest motorsport in the world for us to enjoy and/or participate in. We owe each and every one of them our appreciation and support. Sitting at a monitor cranking out complaints about owners, RARA, how it’s the last year for the races (had an original thought lately?), et al, adds no value to the process and only serves to distract from the mission. Ask yourself…what have I done to make Reno even better year after year? If you’re honest and the answer is not a helluva lot, then the problem is looking back at you every morning in the bathroom mirror.
          Lead, follow…or get the hell out of the way.

Target acquired…got good tone? Go ahead, fire away.
          Well said! I agree with everything you said except one, this isn't the fastest motorsport in the world. That belongs to the Bonneville salt flats..........Other than that, perfect!
          "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Spot on Owen!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Owen,
              Thanks for nailing my thoughts on this particular matter perfectly. There will always be those that aren't happy unless they're complaining about something, without realizing (or caring) that after the events of 2011, we are lucky as hell to have air racing at all.

This was my 16th year, and I get just as big a kick out of it as ever. I got to sit in the boxes for the first time this year on Sunday, thanks to the generosity of a friend who brought his two young boys for the first time. I got to explain to them who Bob Hoover and Clay Lacy are, and how Rare Bear was the same, but different, than the CAF Bearcat that also flew on Sunday. They seemed to enjoy the show, and I hope they'll be back next year. I know I will.

See you in the pits in 2014. I'm the big guy in the red Strega shirt. First beer is on me.
              Mark Johnson
              Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I secong and third your sentiments Owen. I have been going to the NCAR since 93. Only missing less than a hand full of years including this one. I have enjoyed the races from just about everywhere you can. Especially the fenceline. I have always bought tickets for all the days I was there. I say long live the air races!!
                Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Nobody is taking a shot at the pylon judge? Where are the rebels? Come on guys, don't be shy!

Comment

Plenty of guys on the fenceline are paid wristband-wearers. Don't discount their opinions because they're not physically in the stands or the pits.

Comment

Apppreciate all the comments on both sides everyone.

Good point about Bonneville, t-dub. Admittedly not that familiar with the formatting and willing to stand corrected but aren't the vast majority of those single run, timed events. Does any class race side-by-side? Regardless, the speeds in some classes are incredible and surpass anything at Reno, no question. Have to put that on the bucket-list!

RE: the fence-liners. My comment was prefaced by saying it pertained to those who elect not to throw into the coffers of RARA. If folks choose to purchase wristbands and elect to sit in the Valley of Speed, kudo's to them and my comments don't apply (except as stated below, if applicable). Having worked at or spent time at Outer's 6, 7, and 8 it is a sight to behold and I completely understand the attraction, believe me. Can't experience that anywhere else on the planet.

That said, some background. Seems every year I hear reports back from judges and others who must use that road to expedite travel to other positions on the course, that they're subjected to visual, verbal, and in some cases UFO's, flung from the other side of the fence as they make their way. In general, all of us do our best to keep the dust down but more often than not, time is of the essence and it's just not feasible to do 5mph from runoff area of Rnwy26 to Outer 6. We used to be able to parallel the abandoned Rnwy 18/36 (just east of the NANG hangars) but once Race Control takes over the field at 0800 each day, 18/36 is an active runway (mostly Mayday recoveries but NANG uses it as well) and is off limits so we're forced to take the long way around. Thus, we're running along the fence-line as that road is the best road under most conditions along that side of the course.

Longwinded way of saying, "If the shoe fits...", I suppose. Bottom line: the more positive reinforcement each of us can provided to ensure we get to spend "Adult Summer Camp for Plane Nuts" at Stead, the more likely it is we'll continue to enjoy it year after year. It's not perfect, but it is the only game in town and weathering an incredible amount of scrutinty for a variety of alphabet soup regulators. To me, the fact we're using Wayne's sandbox at all to discuss 2013 and 2014 is remarkable...
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

Fortunately the rain pretty much settled the dust this year. Most everyone on the fenceline goes out to the field and the pits-many go every day. Some of us are former tent campers from Cheapksate Hill(nice pictures elsewhere in the forum) and really get off on that visceral kind of in your face air racing. Unfortunately not everyone can get pylon passes year after year. So we do what we gotta do. Our group celebrated 30 years on the fenceline this year. It was my 24th year there. The group was lucky enough to be able to buy the Fenceline land just to share the experience with a bunch of folks they know and like to hang out with. And as it turns out-the fenceline was a much safer place to be on 9/11/2011than where I was standing in the pits in front of the Galloping Ghost crew! Seemed like Ghost was heading right for me. Looks like it too on my video. And later the Fenceliners helped me process what I had just gone through. Some of the most dedicated air race fans for sure!

Comment

Been going out to the "fenceline" since 1990. Seeing the unlimited's from about 100ft away was always very exciting. Every year I always heard people saying this is better then going inside. I enjoy going inside but it is not nearly as good as being out at the "fenceline" for any unlimited race especially for a gold race. I have spent a tremendous amount of money on tickets and buying souvenirs. I hope that I am worthy enough to have a opinion about the air races because as long as I spend money I am allowed a opinion because you know complaining is only for the paying.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                            Plenty of guys on the fenceline are paid wristband-wearers. Don't discount their opinions because they're not physically in the stands or the pits.
                            Randy, I think you might have mis-read what Owen was saying. I got that he has nothing against those who go to the fence, just those who go there and don't return anything to RARA for the show they get to enjoy there...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Roger that, Wayne.

Not discounting any fenceliners dedication to the sport, and everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion...these happen to be mine. And sure we're all thankful that Wayne burns the midnight oil allowing us to share them.

Fact remains, this sport survives not just on sponsorship. Tickets, passes, concessions, gear, etc. are a huge part of its returning year after year.
                              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Working...
                              X