Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tone of this thread

Originally posted by Ebehne View Post
    Couldn't agree more, but it is a little frustrating to see all the negativity towards the team. I loved watching the bear fly/be worked on during those years that Lyle owned her and his excellent crew overcame all odds to somehow get her into the race. Honestly, that was part of the fun. She was always the Cinderella story. I think that these passed couple years have put into perspective how awesome they were to make her competitive with very little resources.

Those days are gone now though and I'm happy to just see the Bear still racing. Lets just be thankful someone has the cash and persistence to keep putting on a show for us year after year. I'd rather see the Bear on the course in some capacity, even if its "only" at 450mph than siting in a museum or worse.

Plus all the haters should be happy, next year they can bring their stock R-2800 powered whatever and prove to the world they have what it takes to beat the Bear...
    I highly doubt there's anyone in this site who hates RB...simply stating she isn't (or probably won't be) as fast as she once was isn't hating...and you're right, RB still making her way around the course (no matter how fast or slow) is much better than her not racing at all...

Comment

Re: Bear's Future?

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      Just for the record, The "Negativity" flows both directions. I am baffled as to how a group of people can radically change what has been engineered/built on an aircraft and then blame people who's work has been completely removed/reversed.
      The Airframe issues were fixed, the Cornell engine gave up, compressions were below cyl change recommendations(too many heat cycles?), there was no power left...
      Had we put the engine out of 232 the bear would have been good & fast...
      New engine next year!
      D Abshier

Comment

Wow. Ok there be some bitter folks here concerning RB.

To say her best days are behind her? I guess your crystal ball is on a different channel than mine. It may be a challenge but there may be wrench turners, panel benders and roundy tweakers that may be up to it.

Never, say never.

Besides, she posted 465 in quals this year. How many current unlimiteds can best even 465? She finished the races, and no maydays, all week. And fer Christ’s sake, if yer going to be beat by a race prepped 2800 in a slick little Yak, congrats to Sherm for his epic effort. (and hope he can repair CM) That takes nothing away from the RB teams first year of trying to make sense of it all.

Haters be hating, love conquers all.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

If she did 528 years ago, explain to me, why she isn't capable of doing it again. Yes, I know that was a straight line course.....but the potential is there....they just have to tap into it......which I'm sure they will.
          Brian

Comment

I arrived on the 6th to find The Bear's crew already steadily working away on their aircraft. Nothing was said, no wild rumors started...they just worked their butts off to make their aircraft right. Someone stated that a normal A & P would be left scratching their heads at such a highly modded aircraft- which is part of what I learned this past year on PM (as a formerly normal A & P...). Facing all we did on Team Precious Metal this year, I have nothing but respect for those fellows a crossed the pits doing their job. It was an honor to be working on an aircraft for the same event as a group of people like them.

Seeing The Bear on the course from the Pylons was a thrill of a lifetime for me. For all the "What ifs" and "Shoulda dones" I can't fault anybody else for how they handled their planes and teams. This isn't as easy as it looks.....

Comment

I'm really tired of the drama over the dang Bearcat.

I wrote up a much longer post following that opening line, but I don't want my PM box overwhelmed so I deleted it all. No, in all honesty its more than that- my own skin is thick enough. Its that I genuinely don't want to offend anyone at all because as I've often said I admire anyone with the 'nads to engage in the sport and invest the requisite blood, sweat, time, and tears. And anything I say in detail might imply a criticism where none exists.

So I'll leave it at that. Drama gets old really fast.

Comment

I have to say, all the ribbing and jawing between the inline fans and the round-motor fans is fun to read, and generally all in good fun! People like to speak their mind here and, for the most part, it seems to be good natured. I doubt there is any of us here that doesn't like Rare Bear. She is looking better than ever, in my opinion. That said, I am solidly in the Mustang corner when it comes to my favorites! It was awesome to finally see Voodoo get the Gold! But it was every bit as exciting to see the extremely high quality of competition out there! Now would I say that RB got spanked or bitch slapped, probably not, but she was not the contender we are used to seeing. We as fans are going to give the other guy a hard time and tell him his favorite got its ass whooped. I doubt anyone here means to imply that team RB didnt give their best effort to field the best racer they could put in the air. As mentioned by many here, the team is new. They will have to learn how to make her perform at her peak. It may not be next year or the next, but there will be a day where RB scorches the course again, Rod Lewis willing! And if RB rises up to be the one to beat I can guarantee you that the RB fans will be giving the inline fans loads of ****!! I've seen it here before! We all know it sucks when your plane loses, and we don't want to hear about from the winners. But that's racing! Anyways, I personally can't wait to see what happens when Thom and his team get Precious Metal dialed in! Very exciting to see all the hard work put in to PM and the willingness to aim higher at all times. That's my two cents, for what it's worth. Keep on bringing the questions, comments and updates we all like to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by dudflier View Post
                  I have to say, all the ribbing and jawing between the inline fans and the round-motor fans is fun to read, and generally all in good fun! People like to speak their mind here and, for the most part, it seems to be good natured. I doubt there is any of us here that doesn't like Rare Bear. She is looking better than ever, in my opinion. That said, I am solidly in the Mustang corner when it comes to my favorites! It was awesome to finally see Voodoo get the Gold! But it was every bit as exciting to see the extremely high quality of competition out there! Now would I say that RB got spanked or bitch slapped, probably not, but she was not the contender we are used to seeing. We as fans are going to give the other guy a hard time and tell him his favorite got its ass whooped. I doubt anyone here means to imply that team RB didnt give their best effort to field the best racer they could put in the air. As mentioned by many here, the team is new. They will have to learn how to make her perform at her peak. It may not be next year or the next, but there will be a day where RB scorches the course again, Rod Lewis willing! And if RB rises up to be the one to beat I can guarantee you that the RB fans will be giving the inline fans loads of ****!! I've seen it here before! We all know it sucks when your plane loses, and we don't want to hear about from the winners. But that's racing! Anyways, I personally can't wait to see what happens when Thom and his team get Precious Metal dialed in! Very exciting to see all the hard work put in to PM and the willingness to aim higher at all times. That's my two cents, for what it's worth. Keep on bringing the questions, comments and updates we all like to hear!
                  ...you just saved me a bunch of typing! ...

Comment

Re: Tone of this thread

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    Important for readers to remember, some of the guys who post in these threads have many, many years of experience with the Bear and her historically significant former brain trust... There was much on that airplane that would, likely, be somewhat puzzling to a skilled warbird mechanic. Generally speaking, a mechanic, when presented with what he or she sees as a problem, or potential problem, will find a solution using their particular bag of tricks, gained over years and years of working with warbirds.

Problem here, the Rare Bear is no longer a Bearcat.. and worse.. it does not come with a manual. Many MANY system modifications and additions were/are on the airplane that would leave an average A&P scratching their head's, unless the particular "yoda" behind the modification had explained why it was there and what it did.

It is very frustrating to the former crew that things that they learned about over their years with the Bear are, once again, by a "new" crew, being ignored or outright undone.

Those who ignore the lessons of history are bound to learn them again... and, in this case, maybe, again....

Probably easier to start from stock. That airplane, if allowed to, will consume a persons life, destroy relationships and perhaps cause fiscal jeporady. I only did it for a few years, but the examples are plentiful. Wouldn't trade that time for anything but I sure as s*** wouldn't do it again for FREE.

Comment

Working...
                    X