Bear's Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear's Future?

After the spanking I saw with my own MkII's, perhaps Mr.
    Lewis should consider the world's first TF8F..jussayin
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Re: Bear's Future?

Too early to speculate.

Wait, what am I sayin........... Speculate away!
    Last edited by ChrisMX105; 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM. Reason: Came to my senses!

Comment

To me a fourth place finish in the gold on Sunday isn't exactly "a spanking" Let's not talk of putting Rare Bear out to pasture just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB View Post
        After the spanking I saw with my own MkII's, perhaps Mr.
        Lewis should consider the world's first TF8F..jussayin
        JP was on my flight home yesterday, he said the motor is going to be rebuilt and they will be back next year.
        bob burns
        ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
        "dont mess with texas"

Comment

All this "the bear is done" talk is starting to get a little frustrating. I've watched that thing sit in a hanger for years with no motor at all, let alone a race motor and somehow only having the power to run 4th in the gold race is a massive failure. I for one think it would be foolish to give up on the Bear, with full race power she could still give the rest of the pack a run for her money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebehne View Post
            All this "the bear is done" talk is starting to get a little frustrating. I've watched that thing sit in a hanger for years with no motor at all, let alone a race motor and somehow only having the power to run 4th in the gold race is a massive failure. I for one think it would be foolish to give up on the Bear, with full race power she could still give the rest of the pack a run for her money.
            I'd say that progress was made. That is, the mods seem to work OK and the Bear finished the race this time. Next up will be finding the missing horsepower.

Rare Bear is my personal favorite, so the missteps of the past recent years can be frustrating. However, I believe that Mr. Lewis and the new team will make more progress.

Having said that, I'm still smiling at Voodoo's success this year. Congratulations to the entire Voodoo team, starting with El Jefe, Bob Button.

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
              To me a fourth place finish in the gold on Sunday isn't exactly "a spanking" Let's not talk of putting Rare Bear out to pasture just yet.
              Seriously???

The Worlds Fastest Piston Engine Airplane gets passed by a Yak with a stock 2800 and that's not getting spanked?

And the next day has to helplessly follow it around the course?

Your right, that's not getting spanked, That's two days of public bitch slapping.

Comment

So, how hard would it be re-engine the Bear with a nice race prepared Merlin? I am going to go hide behind my couch now....

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                  Seriously???

The Worlds Fastest Piston Engine Airplane gets passed by a Yak with a stock 2800 and that's not getting spanked?

Your right, that's not getting spanked, That's two days of public bitch slapping.
                  LMFAO! Man, I just blew beer out of my nose! Best post of the day! Thanks for making my evening...........
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                    LMFAO! Man, I just blew beer out of my nose! Best post of the day! Thanks for making my evening...........
                    That was a bitch slapping! On the 50th anniversary of the greatest race in the world? Lyle and my dad are turning over in their grave! The fastest Piston engine airplane and strega blew by him like he was standing still!!! What is going on with the bear? I thought it was all finished and flight tested and ready to go? 4th place? where are the days of the witch and the bear duels? Long gone??

Comment

So we can't say anything negative? ok, we are sooo proud of the bear! Its such a great airplane! following a stock r-2800 around the course! THAT is bull poop!!!!!

Comment

Tone of this thread

Important for readers to remember, some of the guys who post in these threads have many, many years of experience with the Bear and her historically significant former brain trust... There was much on that airplane that would, likely, be somewhat puzzling to a skilled warbird mechanic. Generally speaking, a mechanic, when presented with what he or she sees as a problem, or potential problem, will find a solution using their particular bag of tricks, gained over years and years of working with warbirds.

Problem here, the Rare Bear is no longer a Bearcat.. and worse.. it does not come with a manual. Many MANY system modifications and additions were/are on the airplane that would leave an average A&P scratching their head's, unless the particular "yoda" behind the modification had explained why it was there and what it did.

It is very frustrating to the former crew that things that they learned about over their years with the Bear are, once again, by a "new" crew, being ignored or outright undone.

Those who ignore the lessons of history are bound to learn them again... and, in this case, maybe, again....
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                          Seriously???

Bear USED to be the world's fastest, but not anymore...and I doubt we'll ever see it that fast again...besides, I think there were/are a couple of 'Stangs that were/are faster even when Bear was at it's fastest....
                          Last edited by grampi; 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Tone of this thread

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Important for readers to remember, some of the guys who post in these threads have many, many years of experience with the Bear and her historically significant former brain trust... There was much on that airplane that would, likely, be somewhat puzzling to a skilled warbird mechanic. Generally speaking, a mechanic, when presented with what he or she sees as a problem, or potential problem, will find a solution using their particular bag of tricks, gained over years and years of working with warbirds.

Problem here, the Rare Bear is no longer a Bearcat.. and worse.. it does not come with a manual. Many MANY system modifications and additions were/are on the airplane that would leave an average A&P scratching their head's, unless the particular "yoda" behind the modification had explained why it was there and what it did.

It is very frustrating to the former crew that things that they learned about over their years with the Bear are, once again, by a "new" crew, being ignored or outright undone.

Those who ignore the lessons of history are bound to learn them again... and, in this case, maybe, again....

Couldn't agree more, but it is a little frustrating to see all the negativity towards the team. I loved watching the bear fly/be worked on during those years that Lyle owned her and his excellent crew overcame all odds to somehow get her into the race. Honestly, that was part of the fun. She was always the Cinderella story. I think that these passed couple years have put into perspective how awesome they were to make her competitive with very little resources.

Those days are gone now though and I'm happy to just see the Bear still racing. Lets just be thankful someone has the cash and persistence to keep putting on a show for us year after year. I'd rather see the Bear on the course in some capacity, even if its "only" at 450mph than siting in a museum or worse.

Plus all the haters should be happy, next year they can bring their stock R-2800 powered whatever and prove to the world they have what it takes to beat the Bear...

Comment

Just for the record, The "Negativity" flows both directions. I am baffled as to how a group of people can radically change what has been engineered/built on an aircraft and then blame people who's work has been completely removed/reversed.

Comment

Working...
                              X