Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bear/232 question

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
    And a BIG salute to Mr. Rod Lewis for fielding and funding these two bada$$ racers.
    I agree wholeheartedly. While my understanding of a lot of the history at Reno among teams, egos, etc is admittedly limited, I feel compelled to say the following. It is going to take people like Mr Lewis to keep this sport alive, as there are ever-fewer people who can afford to campaign a racer in the unlimited class, especially at the gold level. Add to that the fact that I can't see anyone creating any new racers from WWII aircraft (with their ever-soaring value in stock condition) and it is crucial that existing aircraft and their owners have a reason to compete. S--- talking them certainly isn't motivation and encourages the "f--- you guys, I am taking my ball and going home" decision. I realize that many things may have been said and that former crew members may have felt slighted after their sweat equity was thrown out the window. Get over it. This is America. Rod Lewis owns the plane, you don't. Thinking that anyone should be able to dictate what he does to it is the equivalent of declining to buy a piece of property, then trying to tell the purchaser what he/she should do with it (although this is an increasing trend, don't get me started...). Does this mean you can't feel pain when your hard work and that of crew members departed (and Lyle himself) gets thrown in the dumpster? Of course not. But at the end of the day, repeatedly bashing the current crew and the Lewis clan does nothing but cause aggravation.

This goes for the races as well. I for one had a gas at this year's event. Could there have been more unlimited? Sure. But at the end of the day, most or all would have been silver or bronze aircraft which aren't the big draw anyway. Do I like seeing them? Sure, but I can do so at an airshow. Nowhere else do you get to see planes like Strega, Voodoo, PM, CM, the Buick, Miss America, and the Bear. This sport is far too small to be divided into factions. Of course we all have a favorite, but we need to be together in this if this sport will survive.

My final thought is this. I think it is awfully cool that someone of Mr. Lewis' financial status is involved in such a cool sport, when you consider that most of his peers are simply adding to their boat collection, or buying cars that will never again see the light of day.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
      I agree wholeheartedly. While my understanding of a lot of the history at Reno among teams, egos, etc is admittedly limited, I feel compelled to say the following. It is going to take people like Mr Lewis to keep this sport alive, as there are ever-fewer people who can afford to campaign a racer in the unlimited class, especially at the gold level. Add to that the fact that I can't see anyone creating any new racers from WWII aircraft (with their ever-soaring value in stock condition) and it is crucial that existing aircraft and their owners have a reason to compete. S--- talking them certainly isn't motivation and encourages the "f--- you guys, I am taking my ball and going home" decision. I realize that many things may have been said and that former crew members may have felt slighted after their sweat equity was thrown out the window. Get over it. This is America. Rod Lewis owns the plane, you don't. Thinking that anyone should be able to dictate what he does to it is the equivalent of declining to buy a piece of property, then trying to tell the purchaser what he/she should do with it (although this is an increasing trend, don't get me started...). Does this mean you can't feel pain when your hard work and that of crew members departed (and Lyle himself) gets thrown in the dumpster? Of course not. But at the end of the day, repeatedly bashing the current crew and the Lewis clan does nothing but cause aggravation.

This goes for the races as well. I for one had a gas at this year's event. Could there have been more unlimited? Sure. But at the end of the day, most or all would have been silver or bronze aircraft which aren't the big draw anyway. Do I like seeing them? Sure, but I can do so at an airshow. Nowhere else do you get to see planes like Strega, Voodoo, PM, CM, the Buick, Miss America, and the Bear. This sport is far too small to be divided into factions. Of course we all have a favorite, but we need to be together in this if this sport will survive.

My final thought is this. I think it is awfully cool that someone of Mr. Lewis' financial status is involved in such a cool sport, when you consider that most of his peers are simply adding to their boat collection, or buying cars that will never again see the light of day.
      We think your avatar sucks.
      Get over that!

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
        We think your avatar sucks.
        Get over that!
        Not sure how to reply to that one, other than the fact that I have raced/ridden MX since 8th grade and am damn proud to have done so. Posting a picture of an aircraft or air racer would be less "me" since I am a fan and have never flown nor worked on such things (yet). Would be curious to know why it "sucks." It is me, not a pro rider or someone else. I am proud to have acquired a modicum of skill on a motorcycle and thus am proud to display it. My comments were not personally directed at any one crew member, your comment was personal. I would point out that others on here have non-aircraft avatars as well if that's the issue (cars, road racing motorcycle, etc). Oh, and after venting, I AM over your comment.
        Last edited by omalley1537; 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
          Not sure how to reply to that one, other than the fact that I have raced/ridden MX since 8th grade and am damn proud to have done so. Posting a picture of an aircraft or air racer would be less "me" since I am a fan and have never flown nor worked on such things (yet). Would be curious to know why it "sucks." It is me, not a pro rider or someone else. I am proud to have acquired a modicum of skill on a motorcycle and thus am proud to display it. My comments were not personally directed at any one crew member, your comment was personal. I would point out that others on here have non-aircraft avatars as well if that's the issue (cars, road racing motorcycle, etc). Oh, and after venting, I AM over your comment.
          Jeez, we were just kidding. Please, stop crying

Comment

LOL... you guys are brutal but the benefits of weathering an initiation are pretty cool...

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ok, this one's on me...I assumed you were being serious. By now I should know what happens when one assumes something-Throw my name in the hat for the diaper and binkie award for the week.

Comment

Working...
              X