Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voodoo Wins!

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
    Matt was 4 seconds behind at the start. The interval between him and Voodoo was 8-10 seconds the entire race. He was not gaining on Voodoo.
    I stand corrected, visually, it looked as though he was closing from where I watched.

Still, had Matt not had his issues, things might have been different.....

A very good race, no matter how you slice it!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I want to be sure that it's clear that I do not mean to take anything away from Voodoo's win!!!!!!!!

Bob Button is an awesome guy, as are all of the members of the crew, the pilot is one of the finest young men I've had the pleasure to meet! My intent, really,was to simply say, it was a great race and I wish Matt had a better chance at racing wing to wing with Stevo!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        I stand corrected, visually, it looked as though he was closing from where I watched.

Still, had Matt not had his issues, things might have been different.....

A very good race, no matter how you slice it!
        Had RARA not had THEIR issues and ran a normal race schedule then strega would not have had to start from the back on sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
          Had RARA not had THEIR issues and ran a normal race schedule then strega would not have had to start from the back on sunday.
          Had the FAA not foisted their very controlling opinion upon RARA................

Had Jimmy not.............

We had an excellent time this year at a safe Reno Air Races, and Congratulations to Team Voodoo!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Hans Oberev;114822]

Some people keep referring to PM's motor as a ferry motor. It was last years race motor with some new parts from the new motor. I think it had some HP but only team PM can confirm that. I would like to know if the team got some good hard positive data on the other mods they made and what their expectations are for 2014.[QUOTE]

I just got home so I'm sorry we didn't post more during race week but it turned out to be very busy as some of you know. I will let Thom or Mike comment about the specifics, if they like, of the motor but I will say that it certainly wasn't our race piece. But, I am proud of that motor that flew 2200 miles to Reno, quailified and ran all the races. It gave us our first Gold finish so I don't think we could ask much more from a motor that wasn't even assembled 14 days ago! We did manage to get some good info not only on the mods but a few places we can find more speed. Stay tuned.

Scott
            Last edited by wyhdah; 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I'm really happy for the Button family and Steven. The whole Unlimited group ran great. I can't remember a Sunday gold that started nine planes and all nine finished. Maybe some of you old timers can remember a Sunday Gold without a Mayday. I'm proud we were one of them.
              Last edited by wyhdah; 09-17-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Even though I had to watch from afar, this is the first time I've seen Bob smile. And it's a good feeling watching him do so

Comment

Wayne was right about Matt. On the last lap we had "Strega" at 491mph & "Voodoo" at 487mph on the stop watches. Matt was closing fast.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    Wayne was right about Matt. On the last lap we had "Strega" at 491mph & "Voodoo" at 487mph on the stop watches. Matt was closing fast.
                    Be serious, a 4 mph difference is closing fast? You don't think Kerch and the rest of the Voodoo team wasn't aware of Strega's speed and telling Steve what settings he needed to be at to finish the race in front and make sure the motor survived?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Be serious, a 4 mph difference is closing fast? You don't think Kerch and the rest of the Voodoo team wasn't aware of Strega's speed and telling Steve what settings he needed to be at to finish the race in front and make sure the motor survived?
                      Stevo backed off a bit with the lead. We knew the intervals each half lap and Kerch called them out to Stevo.

Michael

Comment

Stevo backed off a bit with the lead. We knew the intervals each half lap and Kerch called them out to Stevo.

Michael
                        I should also state that when I say he backed off, it was in flying a really tight on the course and he was also passing traffic. Below is his indicated airspeed (IAS) and ground speed for the race. As the airplane burned fluids, it got faster each lap, but because he was flying a wider (longer distance) course and passing traffic, the average lap speed went down.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-15-15_hdg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	227373

Comment

Let's be clear...some of the "issues" referenced below were not just RARA's. And given the format that was agreed upon, Strega's canopy issue is what put them at the back of the field.

Time will allow for any adjustment to the format for 2014.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Im sorry but that canopy issue was far more impacting than would have been during any other year.

It is what it is, but ignoring that is silly.

Comment

No question about that. In a "normal" year, they could have recoverd on Friday, moved up on Saturday and we would have had a dog-fight on Sunday with VooDoo and Strega starting 1 & 2 (you pick the order).

Just saying the issues were not all RARA.
                              Owen Ashurst
                              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I should also state that when I say he backed off, it was in flying a really tight on the course and he was also passing traffic. Below is his indicated airspeed (IAS) and ground speed for the race. As the airplane burned fluids, it got faster each lap, but because he was flying a wider (longer distance) course and passing traffic, the average lap speed went down.

Michael

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20195[/ATTACH]
                                Skip Holm consistency.

Comment

Working...
                                X