Voodoo Wins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voodoo Wins!

Wow, 158" and he still couldn't catch Voodoo! Wayne, were we watching the same race? It was never close! lol!

Comment

I Was Alittle Disappointed PM Didn't Finish Very High. Maybe Next Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang1957 View Post
        I Was Alittle Disappointed PM Didn't Finish Very High. Maybe Next Year.
        Thom ran a great race, and remember, it was with a "ferry" motor. They've got the aero dialed-in, so now they've got a whole year for an engine program.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
          Wow, 158" and he still couldn't catch Voodoo! Wayne, were we watching the same race? It was never close! lol!
          Never said "close" but it was never over! Stevo was up there, yes, but Matt was pulling on him and had Stevo had any issues, like a cut, it'd have been different. The race I watched was very exciting, particularly from where I watched.. (GA area) My glass is way more than half full!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	227344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2426_2.jpg
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	227345Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	227346

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              Never said "close" but it was never over! Stevo was up there, yes, but Matt was pulling on him and had Stevo had any issues, like a cut, it'd have been different. The race I watched was very exciting, particularly from where I watched.. (GA area) My glass is way more than half full!

Matt was 4 seconds behind at the start. The interval between him and Voodoo was 8-10 seconds the entire race. He was not gaining on Voodoo.

Michael

Comment

I'm not sure I believe 158", but if so, that's insane manifold pressure. Voodoo saw 132" coming down the chute and backed off from there.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                  I'm not sure I believe 158", but if so, that's insane manifold pressure. Voodoo saw 132" coming down the chute and backed off from there.

Michael
                  Anything over 145 is just heat.

Comment

Michael
                    Agreed that 158" seems pretty far fetched. Watching it all unfold, to my semi-trained eyes and ears, I'm guessing Strega was in the 135"-140" range while trying to catch Voodoo, but I know for a fact 145"+ is quite possible. Regardless, there was just too much ground for Matt to make up, but I love the fact that he put the hammer down in an effort to push Steve. Matt's closure rate on the racers in front of him at the start was truly a sight to behold. When he went around Sherm in CM, he looked to have a legit 50 MPH on the little Yak, and Sherm was haulin' a$$! Nice job to all the Gold contenders.

SA

Comment

Does RARA have lap times/speeds posted for the final gold unlimited race? Like to see Strega's speeds.

Comment

Does RARA have lap times/speeds posted for the final gold unlimited race? Like to see Strega's speeds.

They don't generally generate or publish them. I know for the Ghost accident, they reviewed the camera timing system to generate them.

If anyone publishes a complete race video, it's pretty easy to take the original file and generate lap times.

Michael
                        Last edited by Mluvara; 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Matt was 4 seconds behind at the start. The interval between him and Voodoo was 8-10 seconds the entire race. He was not gaining on Voodoo.

Michael

That was my impression from watching the video feeds too.... like there was an invisible tow-bar between Voodoo and Strega keeping them the same distance apart as the laps wound down and all the other racers disappeared behind Strega.

Impressive performance by both airplanes and their respective crews and engine builders! Even if they'd started 1-2 instead of Strega at the back, you have to wonder if the polesitter would have prevailed no matter what.

Comment

Wayne I agree with your glass half full philosophy. No matter what happens in those 65 miles at the end of the day, the anticipation brewing for 12 months and the energy at Stead during the week is what it's all about! All is well with the universe at the moment. I don't think anyone will argue that Team Voodoo is not a deserving champion. Strega made two costly mistakes while Steve made none!

Some people keep referring to PM's motor as a ferry motor. It was last years race motor with some new parts from the new motor. I think it had some HP but only team PM can confirm that. I would like to know if the team got some good hard positive data on the other mods they made and what their expectations are for 2014.

My personal highlights were getting to talk to Tiger, Jack Roush and Mr Hinton (the grandfather).

So who is coming to the dance next year?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                              Anything over 145 is just heat.

First and foremost, this was great to watch. Both Matt (after passing the traffic) and Steve ran incredibly consistent lines. I wish Matt had started 2nd. I wonder how much Steve had in the tank if Matt had been able to push him...

I don't know what the real MP was, but in the pits after the race, I noticed that Strega had burned a small hole through the cowl (right side) and in the exhaust shroud. There was definitely a lot of heat there. There was also some oil film on the aft fuselage. I don't know if that meant something was broken or if it was just "venting" after the race.

I can't thank Bob Button and Tiger enough for bringing their steeds out of retirement for this. I know it's early, but I sure hope to see a rematch next year...

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by rnichols View Post
                                I don't know what the real MP was, but in the pits after the race, I noticed that Strega had burned a small hole through the cowl (right side) and in the exhaust shroud.

Russ
                                It was like that last year too...

Comment

Working...
                                X