Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jiggs, Nevada
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    I get tired of hearing the phrase "air racing.......Reno style!" As opposed to what?? Are they annoucing at another Air Race that we don't know about?? Jeez!! Just shut up and let us enjoy the music being made by these awesome aircraft!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    At least when you are there in person you can focus on the race and the sounds of the racers. Everything else is just background noise that can be tuned out. Definitely not so with the feed. Would be nice to focus more audio on the sounds of the race and turn down the commentary a whole lot of notches.
    Howard Cosell commentating boxing matches had to be the worst of all time. He was so busy talking, that he would miss something important, then try to explain what had happened (the crowd noise would alert him to that fact) then get it all wrong!

  3. #43

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Dialtapper View Post
    He would agree it's castrated.

    He's got to be spinning over in his grave with the Bear converted to stock.

    I hadn't heard it was going back to stock. Getting all the parts, or making them, might cost as much as buying a stock bearcat. Let's wait and see what happens this afternoon, perhaps the new mods will work? Hope that intake isn't based on 232s. There used to be a very intelligent group of people taking care of that airplane with minimal funding, most of whom probably drool at having someone who can pay all the bills. Maybe the funding isn't what most people think with the new owner, or maybe there are other issues, can't speak to any of that since the last time I touched that airplane was probably at least a decade ago. The fact is Lyle and the people he assembled over the years accomplished more with less than any other team, the only exception being Tiger and Strega, seems like they were always struggling with many of the same issues. And I'm not belittling teams like Dan Martin and his groups accomplishments, that was amazing.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    I hadn't heard it was going back to stock. Getting all the parts, or making them, might cost as much as buying a stock bearcat. Let's wait and see what happens this afternoon, perhaps the new mods will work? Hope that intake isn't based on 232s. There used to be a very intelligent group of people taking care of that airplane with minimal funding, most of whom probably drool at having someone who can pay all the bills. Maybe the funding isn't what most people think with the new owner, or maybe there are other issues, can't speak to any of that since the last time I touched that airplane was probably at least a decade ago. The fact is Lyle and the people he assembled over the years accomplished more with less than any other team, the only exception being Tiger and Strega, seems like they were always struggling with many of the same issues. And I'm not belittling teams like Dan Martin and his groups accomplishments, that was amazing.
    Those were great old days and we all accomplished an amazing amount of work with all of us going "credit card racing". Very few people ever knew that by Sundays race at Hamilton the crew was all pitching in with their credit cards for the fuel, having depleted all the sponsored money from Jack DeBore. Prior to Reno Jack gave us another shot of cash. But it was never a golden ticket there was always a budget. But with Lyle's, Bill Hickle and Greg Shaw's able leadership, and the many, many super talented and dedicated volunteers yourself included we were able to win a lot.

    Of course Lyle's more than capable flying style was a huge part of the equation. As to spinning in his grave, once when we were eating at the airport someone tried to draw Lyle into a conversation about what Rod Lewis was doing with the Bearcat. Lyle responded that Rod owned the airplane now and it was his to figure out. He didn't like the first paint job at all, but he isn't spinning over anything. Lyle if he still owned the airplane planned on putting a scoop over the nose, and continuing forward with a new wing root modification. But he sold it, then he was done with it, his health was gone and he knew it.
    Last edited by BellCobraIV; 09-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    John Slack

  5. #45

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by BellCobraIV View Post
    Those were great old days and we all accomplished an amazing amount of work with all of us going "credit card racing". Very few people ever knew that by Sundays race at Hamilton the crew was all pitching in with their credit cards for the fuel, having depleted all the sponsored money from Jack DeBore. Prior to Reno Jack gave us another shot of cash. But it was never a golden ticket there was always a budget. But with Lyle's, Bill Hickle and Greg Shaw's able leadership, and the many, many super talented and dedicated volunteers yourself included we were able to win a lot.

    Of course Lyle's more than capable flying style was a huge part of the equation. As to spinning in his grave, once when we were eating at the airport someone tried to draw Lyle into a conversation about what Rod Lewis was doing with the Bearcat. Lyle responded that Rod owned the airplane now and it was his to figure out. He didn't like the first paint job at all, but he isn't spinning over anything. Lyle if he still owned the airplane planned on putting a scoop over the nose, and continuing forward with a new wing root modification. But he sold it, then he was done with it, his health was gone and he knew it.

    The only wins I can hang a hat on are the Phoenix ones, the Stupid Gold doesn't count as I might have put that snooter on. We did up the qualifying speeds, but nobody gets paid for qualifying. Gimme a call sometime. Plus putting a large glop of silicone on Freds head sealing the baffles and spending a late night with Bill Kelly are memories I'll not forget.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    John, I hear what you are saying, and I also hear and feel what else is being said. What I think lies behind the frustration is that things like taking the exhaust system back to a stock setup was done with complete disregard for what the science was behind the old, "cobbled up POS" exhaust system that they took off was..

    I got the chance to just have a couple offhand conversations with the new crew, and a pretty heated conversation with Lewis employee who works on 232...

    Sad thing, these guys seem to just be ignoring the magic s h i t that has been done to the airplane over its history.. worse, they describe it as a "bunch of s h i t" that has been done to the airplane. There are probably other ways to wring out of the bear what it had in the past, and, if they can find them, I wish them well. Or, they could try to find what was ONCE there and then thrown away.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (KDVT)
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    Hehe...
    What year was it that we all declared Merlin powered racers "done for good"..
    No doubt the world is unfolding as it is supposed to.. the tide will do its thing.

    What a great event. A first ever new champion airplane in Voodoo.
    A full-up battle on Sunday between a bunch of the A-team planes.

    Saw all my Reno friends, made some new ones too.
    This IS as good as it gets...

    Moar Reno please...
    Tj
    ****************
    Tom Johnson,
    Aviation Insurance Broker / Yak 50 Owner
    www.airpowerinsurance.com

  8. #48

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    John, I hear what you are saying, and I also hear and feel what else is being said. What I think lies behind the frustration is that things like taking the exhaust system back to a stock setup was done with complete disregard for what the science was behind the old, "cobbled up POS" exhaust system that they took off was..

    I got the chance to just have a couple offhand conversations with the new crew, and a pretty heated conversation with Lewis employee who works on 232...

    Sad thing, these guys seem to just be ignoring the magic s h i t that has been done to the airplane over its history.. worse, they describe it as a "bunch of s h i t" that has been done to the airplane. There are probably other ways to wring out of the bear what it had in the past, and, if they can find them, I wish them well. Or, they could try to find what was ONCE there and then thrown away.
    This is too fragile a sport to have 'bad guys' that you root against. There is no Kyle Busch in air racing ;-) I do wish everyone who engages the sport well, and I've already gotten an earful (well, screenful) for defending the Breckenridge bunch- not specifically for what they've done to Rare Bear, but in terms of general competence. They may have made Rare Bear slower by getting rid of some of the lingering Lyle magic, but I don't know enough to say that a significant re-work wasn't needed. its been quite a long time since the true glory days. There's an evolution to everything, and while it is sad to see the obvious friction between the "old" Lewis/ Rare Bear crew and the "new," I guess in some ways that's part of it too. People are people, with egos, and with pride in what they've done or plan to do.

    Bottom line, at least its not in the shape Dago Red is in and I'm thankful to all the crews, past and present, for that.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    The root cause of the "Friction" has been hashed out in other threads. I think that what sticks in all of our craws is the blame and finger pointing. The only thing left from the previous crew was the boiloff and mechanical assembly of the engine yet the finger pointing for lack of performance keeps going back to those who worked on RB prior to this year. When you remove almost everything that was existing and replace it with a new design then how can any failures be attributed to those who came before?
    It's like putting new tires on your car and having it not handle well in the snow and blaming the guy who originally had studded ones installed that you chose to remove.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    John, I hear what you are saying, and I also hear and feel what else is being said. What I think lies behind the frustration is that things like taking the exhaust system back to a stock setup was done with complete disregard for what the science was behind the old, "cobbled up POS" exhaust system that they took off was..

    I got the chance to just have a couple offhand conversations with the new crew, and a pretty heated conversation with Lewis employee who works on 232...

    Sad thing, these guys seem to just be ignoring the magic s h i t that has been done to the airplane over its history.. worse, they describe it as a "bunch of s h i t" that has been done to the airplane. There are probably other ways to wring out of the bear what it had in the past, and, if they can find them, I wish them well. Or, they could try to find what was ONCE there and then thrown away.
    Wayne, you captured my sentiments exactly, only I didn't have the guts to post them. I want a healthy bear doing 490+ just like everyone else does; but I worry that what is being done will relegate her back to 440-450 at best until someone comes along to re-hotrod her. I read that the old exhaust system was designed to improve individual cylinder scavenging - if so, I can imagine it was a hornets nest of pipes, probably complex and lots of welds and hard to work on - but if it was worth power, then so be it! A straight pipe system might be easier to maintain and look cleaner, but if it gives up power...is it worth it?

    I guess that's for the new owners to decide, rare bear is theirs to do with as they please; but it will take a long time for the memories of bear hauling around the course at 490+ are distant enough that people enjoy seeing her do 450.

    The sad part is, the plane is far too radical to only do 450 and to be trucked in.

    I do hope they find the missing speed regardless of how they do it, but you're right, it is frustrating to see the go-fast stuff that pushed bear to 490+ in the past be removed.

    Bottom line though...it's their plane now to do with as they see fit, and I respect that.
    Last edited by AirRaceFan; 09-16-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •