Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

Default Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post
    "BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"?

Maybe the same elusive reason he calls Stew "Stewy" and Steve-O "Stevie". He even called Smoot "Cooper" for some reason.
    Steve Stackafracatus (whatever) is totally clueless. He babbles on for the entire first half of the Unlimited races about things that have zero to do with the race. There is not a single person in the industry that calls Steve-o (Steven) "Stevie" and NOBODY refers to Stewert as "Stewie".

I can't even get into the details of the technical mis-information. It's like I tell every Volunteer at our Air Museum "People are here to learn, if you don't know the answer or are not clear on the history, DO NOT speak as if you do.... go find the answer and get back to them."

Seriously, can't you guys do a little homework in the off season to improve your knowledge when speaking to the general public?

One more thing..........nobody likes the whole "Bad boys of air racing thing"........... it's a joke like on a Saturday Night live Skit. Might wanna drop it and pay more attention to learning how to announce and explain the race as it's occurring.

Getting their names straight might be a good start?
    JC
    They mentioned Czech Mate going around the Bear as an after thought, and nothing about PM going around Dread.

Lyle, Skip, Tiger, Darryl and Hoot. Yeah, I think Hoot is one cool customer. "Iceman". He knows what hes' doing and does it. What about Penney? Same as Hoot. Wasn't Penney a test pilot? I know the type. Calculating but the difference is they have the guts to climb in the machine and drop the hammer! Not afraid of a little prop wash!

Quote Originally Posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
    +1. That guy was uber-annoying. "Little Stevie Hinton"?!?!?.....give me a break. And it hasn't been September Fury for the last couple of years, right?
    +1 on the über annoying comment. Every time he said "little Stevie Hinton" I about lost my mind! Stop making things up! Maybe Steve S. should spend some time on aafo.com before the races so he learn some things about the "bad boys of air racing"!

Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post
    "BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"?

Maybe the same elusive reason he calls Stew "Stewy" and Steve-O "Stevie". He even called Smoot "Cooper" for some reason.

One more thing..........nobody likes the whole "Bad boys of air racing thing"........... it's a joke like on a Saturday Night live Skit. Might wanna drop it and pay more attention to learning how to announce and explain the race as it's occurring.

Getting their names straight might be a good start?
    JC
    whew...thanks for the back-up; I thought I was hearing things when he refered to Smoot as "Cooper". Did a double take on that one. Agree with you all the way. "The bad boyz...." thing is as annoying as that old announcer who used to do the "OHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH" during the wing walking routine. I probably whould watch with the mute on.

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    Details, Details, Details.......

In the early 90's the bear had limited funding and an enthusiastic crew, and was at least competitive. Deep pockets can't subsitute for a cohesive group.

And the old drill sergeant says "Only two things comes from Texas... Steers and castrated Rare Bears"....

Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    And the old drill sergeant says "Only two things comes from Texas... Steers and castrated Rare Bears"....
    Somehow I don't think Lyle woud agree.

+1 more who cannot stand the announcers! I believe he confused Hoot and Kurt Brown and/or their respective airplanes as well. The "bad boys" guy flew into the airport where I work part time a couple of years ago right after the races and he was talking about being at Reno and before he could tell me who he was I unknowingly blasted the announcing of the Unlimiteds...then he told me it was him and I said wow....do you really think that the folks there wanta hear that garbage? I am no race expert but have attended most years since 83...helped on a crew for a couple of years and work part time for one of the original race pilots and I think between me and my 10 year old son could put together better info on the planes, their pilots, teams, histories, etc. Like JCP says...if you do not know...go find out and pass on the correct info.

Quote Originally Posted by eallen View Post
    +1 more who cannot stand the announcers! I believe he confused Hoot and Kurt Brown and/or their respective airplanes as well. The "bad boys" guy flew into the airport where I work part time a couple of years ago right after the races and he was talking about being at Reno and before he could tell me who he was I unknowingly blasted the announcing of the Unlimiteds...then he told me it was him and I said wow....do you really think that the folks there wanta hear that garbage? I am no race expert but have attended most years since 83...helped on a crew for a couple of years and work part time for one of the original race pilots and I think between me and my 10 year old son could put together better info on the planes, their pilots, teams, histories, etc. Like JCP says...if you do not know...go find out and pass on the correct info.
    Here's hoping for a major microphone malfunction to hit the "bad boys" guy right before the Unlimited Gold today.....

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    Somehow I don't think Lyle woud agree.
    He would agree it's castrated.

He's got to be spinning over in his grave with the Bear converted to stock.

JCP it would be a blast watching the broadcast with ya! LOL!

Cheers!
    JP