Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

Originally posted by JCP View Post
    "BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"?

Maybe the same elusive reason he calls Stew "Stewy" and Steve-O "Stevie". He even called Smoot "Cooper" for some reason.
    Steve Stackafracatus (whatever) is totally clueless. He babbles on for the entire first half of the Unlimited races about things that have zero to do with the race. There is not a single person in the industry that calls Steve-o (Steven) "Stevie" and NOBODY refers to Stewert as "Stewie".

I can't even get into the details of the technical mis-information. It's like I tell every Volunteer at our Air Museum "People are here to learn, if you don't know the answer or are not clear on the history, DO NOT speak as if you do.... go find the answer and get back to them."

Seriously, can't you guys do a little homework in the off season to improve your knowledge when speaking to the general public?

One more thing..........nobody likes the whole "Bad boys of air racing thing"........... it's a joke like on a Saturday Night live Skit. Might wanna drop it and pay more attention to learning how to announce and explain the race as it's occurring.

Getting their names straight might be a good start?
    JC
    They mentioned Czech Mate going around the Bear as an after thought, and nothing about PM going around Dread.

Comment

Lyle, Skip, Tiger, Darryl and Hoot. Yeah, I think Hoot is one cool customer. "Iceman". He knows what hes' doing and does it. What about Penney? Same as Hoot. Wasn't Penney a test pilot? I know the type. Calculating but the difference is they have the guts to climb in the machine and drop the hammer! Not afraid of a little prop wash!

Comment

Originally posted by CanIFlyIt View Post
        +1. That guy was uber-annoying. "Little Stevie Hinton"?!?!?.....give me a break. And it hasn't been September Fury for the last couple of years, right?
        +1 on the über annoying comment. Every time he said "little Stevie Hinton" I about lost my mind! Stop making things up! Maybe Steve S. should spend some time on aafo.com before the races so he learn some things about the "bad boys of air racing"!

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
          "BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"?

Maybe the same elusive reason he calls Stew "Stewy" and Steve-O "Stevie". He even called Smoot "Cooper" for some reason.

One more thing..........nobody likes the whole "Bad boys of air racing thing"........... it's a joke like on a Saturday Night live Skit. Might wanna drop it and pay more attention to learning how to announce and explain the race as it's occurring.

Getting their names straight might be a good start?
          JC
          whew...thanks for the back-up; I thought I was hearing things when he refered to Smoot as "Cooper". Did a double take on that one. Agree with you all the way. "The bad boyz...." thing is as annoying as that old announcer who used to do the "OHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH" during the wing walking routine. I probably whould watch with the mute on.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
            Details, Details, Details.......

In the early 90's the bear had limited funding and an enthusiastic crew, and was at least competitive. Deep pockets can't subsitute for a cohesive group.

And the old drill sergeant says "Only two things comes from Texas... Steers and castrated Rare Bears"....

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
              And the old drill sergeant says "Only two things comes from Texas... Steers and castrated Rare Bears"....
              Somehow I don't think Lyle woud agree.

Comment

+1 more who cannot stand the announcers! I believe he confused Hoot and Kurt Brown and/or their respective airplanes as well. The "bad boys" guy flew into the airport where I work part time a couple of years ago right after the races and he was talking about being at Reno and before he could tell me who he was I unknowingly blasted the announcing of the Unlimiteds...then he told me it was him and I said wow....do you really think that the folks there wanta hear that garbage? I am no race expert but have attended most years since 83...helped on a crew for a couple of years and work part time for one of the original race pilots and I think between me and my 10 year old son could put together better info on the planes, their pilots, teams, histories, etc. Like JCP says...if you do not know...go find out and pass on the correct info.

Comment

Originally posted by eallen View Post
                  +1 more who cannot stand the announcers! I believe he confused Hoot and Kurt Brown and/or their respective airplanes as well. The "bad boys" guy flew into the airport where I work part time a couple of years ago right after the races and he was talking about being at Reno and before he could tell me who he was I unknowingly blasted the announcing of the Unlimiteds...then he told me it was him and I said wow....do you really think that the folks there wanta hear that garbage? I am no race expert but have attended most years since 83...helped on a crew for a couple of years and work part time for one of the original race pilots and I think between me and my 10 year old son could put together better info on the planes, their pilots, teams, histories, etc. Like JCP says...if you do not know...go find out and pass on the correct info.
                  Here's hoping for a major microphone malfunction to hit the "bad boys" guy right before the Unlimited Gold today.....

Comment

Somehow I don't think Lyle woud agree.
                    He would agree it's castrated.

He's got to be spinning over in his grave with the Bear converted to stock.

Comment

JCP it would be a blast watching the broadcast with ya! LOL!

Cheers!
                      JP

Comment

I get tired of hearing the phrase "air racing.......Reno style!" As opposed to what?? Are they annoucing at another Air Race that we don't know about?? Jeez!! Just shut up and let us enjoy the music being made by these awesome aircraft!

Comment

At least when you are there in person you can focus on the race and the sounds of the racers. Everything else is just background noise that can be tuned out. Definitely not so with the feed. Would be nice to focus more audio on the sounds of the race and turn down the commentary a whole lot of notches.
                          Howard Cosell commentating boxing matches had to be the worst of all time. He was so busy talking, that he would miss something important, then try to explain what had happened (the crowd noise would alert him to that fact) then get it all wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                            He would agree it's castrated.

He's got to be spinning over in his grave with the Bear converted to stock.

I hadn't heard it was going back to stock. Getting all the parts, or making them, might cost as much as buying a stock bearcat. Let's wait and see what happens this afternoon, perhaps the new mods will work? Hope that intake isn't based on 232s. There used to be a very intelligent group of people taking care of that airplane with minimal funding, most of whom probably drool at having someone who can pay all the bills. Maybe the funding isn't what most people think with the new owner, or maybe there are other issues, can't speak to any of that since the last time I touched that airplane was probably at least a decade ago. The fact is Lyle and the people he assembled over the years accomplished more with less than any other team, the only exception being Tiger and Strega, seems like they were always struggling with many of the same issues. And I'm not belittling teams like Dan Martin and his groups accomplishments, that was amazing.

Comment

I hadn't heard it was going back to stock. Getting all the parts, or making them, might cost as much as buying a stock bearcat. Let's wait and see what happens this afternoon, perhaps the new mods will work? Hope that intake isn't based on 232s. There used to be a very intelligent group of people taking care of that airplane with minimal funding, most of whom probably drool at having someone who can pay all the bills. Maybe the funding isn't what most people think with the new owner, or maybe there are other issues, can't speak to any of that since the last time I touched that airplane was probably at least a decade ago. The fact is Lyle and the people he assembled over the years accomplished more with less than any other team, the only exception being Tiger and Strega, seems like they were always struggling with many of the same issues. And I'm not belittling teams like Dan Martin and his groups accomplishments, that was amazing.
                              Those were great old days and we all accomplished an amazing amount of work with all of us going "credit card racing". Very few people ever knew that by Sundays race at Hamilton the crew was all pitching in with their credit cards for the fuel, having depleted all the sponsored money from Jack DeBore. Prior to Reno Jack gave us another shot of cash. But it was never a golden ticket there was always a budget. But with Lyle's, Bill Hickle and Greg Shaw's able leadership, and the many, many super talented and dedicated volunteers yourself included we were able to win a lot.

Of course Lyle's more than capable flying style was a huge part of the equation. As to spinning in his grave, once when we were eating at the airport someone tried to draw Lyle into a conversation about what Rod Lewis was doing with the Bearcat. Lyle responded that Rod owned the airplane now and it was his to figure out. He didn't like the first paint job at all, but he isn't spinning over anything. Lyle if he still owned the airplane planned on putting a scoop over the nose, and continuing forward with a new wing root modification. But he sold it, then he was done with it, his health was gone and he knew it.
                              Last edited by BellCobraIV; 09-15-2013, 11:44 AM.
                              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                                Those were great old days and we all accomplished an amazing amount of work with all of us going "credit card racing". Very few people ever knew that by Sundays race at Hamilton the crew was all pitching in with their credit cards for the fuel, having depleted all the sponsored money from Jack DeBore. Prior to Reno Jack gave us another shot of cash. But it was never a golden ticket there was always a budget. But with Lyle's, Bill Hickle and Greg Shaw's able leadership, and the many, many super talented and dedicated volunteers yourself included we were able to win a lot.

Of course Lyle's more than capable flying style was a huge part of the equation. As to spinning in his grave, once when we were eating at the airport someone tried to draw Lyle into a conversation about what Rod Lewis was doing with the Bearcat. Lyle responded that Rod owned the airplane now and it was his to figure out. He didn't like the first paint job at all, but he isn't spinning over anything. Lyle if he still owned the airplane planned on putting a scoop over the nose, and continuing forward with a new wing root modification. But he sold it, then he was done with it, his health was gone and he knew it.

The only wins I can hang a hat on are the Phoenix ones, the Stupid Gold doesn't count as I might have put that snooter on. We did up the qualifying speeds, but nobody gets paid for qualifying. Gimme a call sometime. Plus putting a large glop of silicone on Freds head sealing the baffles and spending a late night with Bill Kelly are memories I'll not forget.

Comment

Working...
                                X