• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimited Gold Results - Saturday

Any news on the health of 232?

Comment

As a V12 fan (Red then Purple) I was worried about 232 as the only real threat.

He was flying such a stunning line until he pulled up.

I hope for their sake they're there tomorrow, also looking forward to hearing how bad she's wounded.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
        Any news on the health of 232?
        They are done. Even if the engine isn't hurt there is way too much damage to repair it before tomorrow's final.

Comment

Maybe Sept. Fury deserves to be under the tent! Anybody with me on this? I hope the Rare Bear team proves me wrong tomorrow but smart money is not riding on her to set the pace. She looks real pretty and her pit has nice looking tool boxes but.....can she give Voodoo and Strega a run for their money? And then there is the pilot question. Some AAFOers are all jacked up seeing John Penney flying # 77. Who are the top 10 racing pilots of all time? Lyle, Tiger, Penney, Steve Jr,....... Based on flying a great line, trimming out the plane for max speed on the level and in high g turns, in passing and keeping cool under pressure.

Comment

For pure awesomeness on all counts it would be tossup between Lyle, Skip and Tiger. If you wanted to look at all time Darryl would have a commanding lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
              Who are the top 10 racing pilots of all time? Lyle, Tiger, Penney, Steve Jr,....... Based on flying a great line, trimming out the plane for max speed on the level and in high g turns, in passing and keeping cool under pressure.
              From what I've seen from last year and so far this year, Hoot belongs in this group. Now.............what if Mr. Lewis put Hoot in the Bear tomorrow? Like that old guy on Laugh-in: "veeeeerrrry interesting !"

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                They are done. Even if the engine isn't hurt there is way too much damage to repair it before tomorrow's final.
                What's the damage? What let go?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Any chance you could share some info on what the damage is? I haven't read or heard anything beyond that they pulled up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                    Maybe Sept. Fury deserves to be under the tent! Anybody with me on this? I hope the Rare Bear team proves me wrong tomorrow but smart money is not riding on her to set the pace. She looks real pretty and her pit has nice looking tool boxes but.....can she give Voodoo and Strega a run for their money? And then there is the pilot question. Some AAFOers are all jacked up seeing John Penney flying # 77. Who are the top 10 racing pilots of all time? Lyle, Tiger, Penney, Steve Jr,....... Based on flying a great line, trimming out the plane for max speed on the level and in high g turns, in passing and keeping cool under pressure.
                    The stick actuator can add a few mph to a plane, but the 30-40 they are missing is something more. Money suffocates creativity. If they keep improving it like that they can be top of the Silver in no time.

Comment

Blew induction scoop off and debris damaged the right horizontal leading edge. That is just what is visible.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                        The stick actuator can add a few mph to a plane, but the 30-40 they are missing is something more. Money suffocates creativity. If they keep improving it like that they can be top of the Silver in no time.
                        You mean like Strega the past two days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                          Hoot had 232 honkin' the first few laps, what a beautiful line he flies! Bummed when he pulled up as I love the big Sea Fury. BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"? Enough with the Bear sandbagging talk -- the Bear can't run consistent laps in the 480s anymore, yet alone a 505! Nice race by Thom!
                          "BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"?

Maybe the same elusive reason he calls Stew "Stewy" and Steve-O "Stevie". He even called Smoot "Cooper" for some reason.
                          Steve Stackafracatus (whatever) is totally clueless. He babbles on for the entire first half of the Unlimited races about things that have zero to do with the race. There is not a single person in the industry that calls Steve-o (Steven) "Stevie" and NOBODY refers to Stewert as "Stewie".

I can't even get into the details of the technical mis-information. It's like I tell every Volunteer at our Air Museum "People are here to learn, if you don't know the answer or are not clear on the history, DO NOT speak as if you do.... go find the answer and get back to them."

Seriously, can't you guys do a little homework in the off season to improve your knowledge when speaking to the general public?

One more thing..........nobody likes the whole "Bad boys of air racing thing"........... it's a joke like on a Saturday Night live Skit. Might wanna drop it and pay more attention to learning how to announce and explain the race as it's occurring.

Getting their names straight might be a good start?
                          JC
                          Last edited by JCP; 09-15-2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                            "BTW -- why did the announcers insist on calling 232 "September Fury"?

Maybe the same elusive reason he calls Stew "Stewy" and Steve-O "Stevie". He even called Smoot "Cooper" for some reason.
                            Steve Stackafracatus (whatever) is totally clueless. He babbles on for the entire first half of the Unlimited races about things that have zero to do with the race. There is not a single person in the industry that calls Steve-o (Steven) "Stevie" and NOBODY refers to Stewert as "Stewie".

I can't even get into the details of the technical mis-information. It's like I tell every Volunteer at our Air Museum "People are here to learn, if you don't know the answer or are not clear on the history, DO NOT speak as if you do.... go find the answer and get back to them."

Seriously, can't you guys do a little homework in the off season to improve your knowledge when speaking to the general public?

One more thing..........nobody likes the whole "Bad boys of air racing thing"........... it's a joke like on a Saturday Night live Skit. Might wanna drop it and pay more attention to learning how to announce and explain the race as it's occurring.

JC
                            JCP, fantastic points... i was watching the gold race online from here in NZ this morning and the 'commentators' were damn annoying.. Its like they were saying stuff simply so they could here their own voices. My brother was also watching from his place, and we were text messaging each other and he was asking which airplane is 232 when i told him bout 232, so i had to tell him that in a previous life, 232 was sept fury, and also explain who was who because of the stuff ups with the commentators.
                            So to a person who is very Aviation knowledgable like my brother (who is a GA engine builder here in NZ) getting bad info from the live stream and having to be corrected was frustrating.
                            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post

JC
                              +1. That guy was uber-annoying. "Little Stevie Hinton"?!?!?.....give me a break. And it hasn't been September Fury for the last couple of years, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                                A carbureted motor will backfire and blow the trunk off. Its likely the motor did that on 232. It's carbureted. Fuel injected will not do that.

Michael
                                Ask Mikey Brown why the dual fuel injection pump setup is a bad idea to run in the choppy air following another airplane around the Reno pylons... BOOM!!

Comment

Working...
                                X