50th Anniversary of Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th Anniversary of Reno

Our group of veteran Reno Air Racing fans has been on site since last Saturday, and the consensus is thus:

This years event is a very poor example of the Reno Air Races, and as a Fifty year anniversary event, it is an embarrassment.

A lot of people paid a lot of money.... And we're rewarded with no unlimited on Thursday, one unlimited event on Friday, no heavy iron arrivals or flybys and lots of dead time... I personaly thought the opening ceremonies lacked... A lot..., four thousand grandstands removed due to Insurance premiums... We do appreciate the Patriot jet team, and the Rod Lewis Air Force...
    The bottom line for us is, for the first time in 33 years straight, we got here six days too early, and next year??. Might only be a two day affair for us.

Bad Showing RARA..

Re: 50th Anniversary of Reno

Let's see..

We are here..

There are Unlimited's ready to poor it on this evening..

Then there's STILL Sunday.

And CAF fly-by's each day?

Sounds like we got the first 'Reno' beat all to heck...
    Conversations with legends all week.. Roush, Hinton, Greenameyer, Aaron King. Wow.. that pays for my fuel bill...

Don't like it? Don't come. But don't give RARA a bad name, they're doing their best to see that we have air races AT ALL.

With all respect,
    Joseph

Comment

i could not make it this year, watching choppy video on Airshowtv. it brings memories of past years and everything that is the Reno air races. the planes,the sounds,smells and most importantly, THE PEOPLE! hell i would still go if 172's were racing...
      The Low Pass Kid

Comment

....No Unlimited Heat Saturday morning....!

Comment

Kinda mixed feelings on this. I appreciate HAVING the air races, and I'll continue to attend. But as this is the 50th year, I was expecting to see more of the history. It was wonderful to see Lacy's winner on the ramp. I know Conquest 1 is in a museum. Sumpthin Else and Stilletto are back to stock. Red Baron,Tsunami and Jeannie..........well. But what of the other classes? No Shoestring. No Texas Gem. No Lightnings or Cobras. No GeeBee (replica or otherwise). Small Unlimited field.
          Love the air races, but this year was a bit of a disappointment. Bottom line: whatcha gonna do? At least they HAVE the air races.

Comment

Ya I'm glad they are even having the races. I went out Friday and had a great time. Mostly because I met some friends I hadn't seen in a few years. I'm really disappointed the fastest Gold class in years sat in the pits instead of
            racing though.

I still don't understand it and haven't heard an official statement from RARA that explains it. I get not having enough racers for the Bronze but why cut down on the number of gold races?

Comment

I'm having the time of my life.

I've seen 3 unlimiteds go faster than they've ever gone before.

I've hugged and shook hands with friends I only see once a year.

I've spent priceless time with my family.

I've talked engineering with Pete Law.

I've talked manufacturing and fabrication with Tom Garagliano from the Strega/Czech Mate crew.

I've I watched Tom McNerney barely hold off Dave Morss - TWICE!

I narrowly avoided getting run over by Tom Aberle in his gold cart!

I finally tracked down Bud Anderson after 10 years to get him to sign my copy of his book.

The point is, happiness is what you make it. Sure, the fields and stands could be fuller. The program could be better. RARA could be more forthright with information. But, if you choose to be grumpy you will be. I choose to be happy and grateful that the only pylon racing event in the known universe is still going.

Just my two cents.

Comment

No complaints from me, we're having a blast!! After 2011 I really didn't think I'd ever see another race. Attendance seemed pretty good Saturday considering no military team or demonstrations.

Ok just one little complaint, just about everything that says 50th anniversary on it is gone. Tried to buy a shirt Saturday morning and the only had S and 2XX.
                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X