Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is our favorite announcer gone?

Originally posted by John H View Post
    Not hearing the usual stumbling old annoying delivery here. Guy on mic sounds smoother.
    I'm guessing when he threw in a few jabs at our President during last years races, that pretty much sealed his fate for any future races. I doesn't matter if you agree or not with our President, that was a big no no for FKS.

I observed this year that the new announcer received a boatload of congratulations on a 'job well done' by many spectators after the gold race on Sunday. I also noticed there appeared to be much less friction at the announcers table this year than during past years also. Its definitely a very busy and pretty stressful place and it was nice to see everyone work well with each other this year.

While on the subject, I need to put in a plug for all the volunteers at the announcers booth that work their asses off every year for at least past 20 plus years or more (Marchal Caldwell, Bruce Caldwell, Tom Barnes, Linda, Dale, Sharon and a few others I do not know the names of) during the week spotting planes, getting the unofficial times and race speeds and much much more. Most of you do not get to see the frantic activity on the verge of critical mass that I get to see watching these guys in action. These guys barely have time to get lunch before they are hustling back to the announcer table with binoculars and stop watches in hand for the next race. These guys don't get much appreciation for what they do, nor do they expect it, but they sure deserve it. Without them we would have no idea what the speeds were, any pylon cuts, etc until it was long over. Maybe next year if you happen to be in the vicinity of the announcers booth and in between races, try to drop by and and just say Thanks for all you do. I'd bet they would appreciate it. Just my 2 cents worth.
    1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
      Nice T-Dub! dont think i've seen a winged sprint since Baylands! we had CASA and another group at Altamont before they closed it, sad...

Comment

Originally posted by lowpasskid View Post
        Nice T-Dub! dont think i've seen a winged sprint since Baylands! we had CASA and another group at Altamont before they closed it, sad...
        CASA and NCMA. I made it there once (2005) to shoot a CASA/NCMA show. Nice track but from what I understand ( and what I experienced) is it was constantly windy there. On a side note, Tim Kaeding won the Fernley race Saturday night.........Click image for larger version

Name:	webKWS266.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	227374Click image for larger version

Name:	webKWS010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	227375
        "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by comancheflyer View Post
          I'm guessing when he threw in a few jabs at our President during last years races, that pretty much sealed his fate for any future races. I doesn't matter if you agree or not with our President, that was a big no no for FKS.

I observed this year that the new announcer received a boatload of congratulations on a 'job well done' by many spectators after the gold race on Sunday. I also noticed there appeared to be much less friction at the announcers table this year than during past years also. Its definitely a very busy and pretty stressful place and it was nice to see everyone work well with each other this year.
          I think you summed it up perfectly, Comanche. The politic crap was my last straw with FKS. When I first started going to the races, I felt he did a good job (and has great pipes). However, over the years he seemed to become more enamored with himself and his own "shtick". I come to the races to watch some amazing aviation, not hear someone gripe about politics--one way or another. I think the gang this year was absolutely gold star; on topic, not annoying, and as informative as I would expect them to be.

Comment

Working...
          X