Hellcat into a truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hellcat into a truck?

I am glad no one was hurt. It could have turned into a very tragic situation.

Now the insurance adjusters will go to work.

Comment

I too am glad no one was injured!

Not sure about the other truck but the black one is hurtn'. It appears that the prop is missing paint more than it's bent.

From what I can tell the right horizontal stab is damaged and it may be an optical illusion but was the right leading edge of the wing damaged under the machine gun location???

Don

Comment

According to a buddy Reno 78 taxi accident was the original Precious Metal ( Not Thom's) with Whittington chopping up the Datsun.

Comment

At least they have a sense of humor about it:

"Mutha was here"

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
            According to a buddy Reno 78 taxi accident was the original Precious Metal ( Not Thom's) with Whittington chopping up the Datsun.
            You are correct sir..........
            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

The truck was parked in front of the Breitling tent this afternoon. Still runable. They put black tape on the corner of the hood but, if you look on the attached photo you can see the chop marks.

The truck is a "Raptor" a high dollar vehicle for sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	227338

Comment

Originally posted by Jason S. View Post
                Yes he did manage to hit two trucks, I guess he dragged the horizontal down the side of the one vehicle and then hit the other with the prop.
                Jason
                Is it my understanding that the Hellcat ran into the truck or the truck ran into the Hellcat? It sounds to me that that the plane has the right-away but someone (truck) was not where they were suppose to be. That is going to be very expensive on the Hellcat more than the trucks. Rules are if you have a prop strike the engine has to be tore down for inspection.
                Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Trap View Post
                  At least they have a sense of humor about it:

"Mutha was here"
                  I was wondering if that was Mutha in Mimsi III, bummer.

'Gimp
                  sigpic
                  1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                  Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                    The incident you're referring to was 1977 not 1978. And it did, in fact involve the REAL Precious Metal (N5483V), not the currently-named version (N6WJ). Race Director Jerry Duty decided it would be okay to drive out on the ramp after the Championship Race and park it in the podium area to meet Darryl Greenamyer as he came in in the Red Baron....after all, when you're the all-powerful Jerky Doody you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. Don Whittington, who had finished second, came taxiing in around the crowd of people who were starting to gather and thoroughly munched up Jerry's tiny little Datsun.

The real shame of that accident was that it destroyed a very rare and one (actually two) of a kind experimental thin-blade propeller. The other set was destroyed in the crash of the Beguine in 1949.

I am going to post two photos taken by Charlene Aro and one by Mark Daniels. I know both of them so I hope this suffices for posting someone elses photos...but they illustrate pretty effectively what happened.
                    Attached Files

Comment

De-railing thread..........

Was the "thin" prop more effective/efficient than a standard one?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                        De-railing thread..........

Was the "thin" prop more effective/efficient than a standard one?
                        Yes, there were two sets of experimental blades that Aeroproducts built up for high-speed testing with NACA. J.D. Reed purchased one set for use on the Beguine, and Joe DeBona purchased the other set for use in Thunderbird, which he won the 1949 Bendix race with.

Reed's set was destroyed in the crash at Cleveland. In 1975 Ralph Payne somehow tracked down the set that was used on Thunderbird and procured them for Precious Metal that he was building up for Gary Levitz. I think Ralph told me once that at altitude/temp/power setting testing they had a significant speed increase over the cuffed Hamilton Standard prop--ironically the prop of choice these days. But I also recall him saying that the prop itself was scary, as it was so thin that during high-power run-ups on the ground you could literally see the blades bending forward because they were so thin.

Comment

I wonder what it would take to duplicate them. Or if the data is even out there.

Comment

Comment

What is the story behind this accident anyway? Mutha drove Hornets and ran NAS LeMoore, seems like a careful, professional pilot, just curious how this happened.

Any witnesses?

'Gimp
                              sigpic
                              1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                              Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Just thinking out loud here... is this one of those things that even though we know the FAA and the entire world knows about it, that it would be better if we sort of buried it here?

Seriously, NOT trying to diss anyone for posting anything, or over moderate!, it just struck me when I saw the last posts come in that this *could* be one of those events better discussed years later??

Opinions??
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X