No Gold races until Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Gold races until Saturday?

You guys need to relax, yes I like Gold on Friday too, but to be completely honest we are INCREDIBLY lucky to have Unlimiteds this year. Next year who knows, maybe the lack of money to give out to the racers will be fixed and we will have a full field again. This year was a really interesting year for the Unlimiteds and next year will hopefully go back to normal. Enjoy it while you can, it will be a good year nonetheless. And I think Silver still races on Friday right? If so we get to watch a very fun race and watch Matt put down the hammer to put Strega up front. We all know how fun that was with GG!! Enjoy it, things happen for the better or the worse. Thankful we have one of the best gold fields in years and PM doesn't even have it's race engine!!! Just my two cents.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So, does anyone know if the silver unlimited heat will be moved to the gold time slot on Friday or will the day just end with the Patriots?
      I'm heading down tomorrow and was hoping to swing by the fence to see the last few heats (Sport 2A and later). Not sure I can get there by 13:20 for the scheduled silver unlimited heat
      I'm already pushing it when I get the wife up at 3:30am to make the drive down, not sure how she'd feel about leaving at 2
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        You guys need to relax, yes I like Gold on Friday too, but to be completely honest we are INCREDIBLY lucky to have Unlimiteds this year. Next year who knows, maybe the lack of money to give out to the racers will be fixed and we will have a full field again. This year was a really interesting year for the Unlimiteds and next year will hopefully go back to normal. Enjoy it while you can, it will be a good year nonetheless. And I think Silver still races on Friday right? If so we get to watch a very fun race and watch Matt put down the hammer to put Strega up front. We all know how fun that was with GG!! Enjoy it, things happen for the better or the worse. Thankful we have one of the best gold fields in years and PM doesn't even have it's race engine!!! Just my two cents.
        What he said.
        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post
          So, does anyone know if the silver unlimited heat will be moved to the gold time slot on Friday or will the day just end with the Patriots?
          I'm heading down tomorrow and was hoping to swing by the fence to see the last few heats (Sport 2A and later). Not sure I can get there by 13:20 for the scheduled silver unlimited heat
          I'm already pushing it when I get the wife up at 3:30am to make the drive down, not sure how she'd feel about leaving at 2
          Tom
          I don't think anyone is sure yet. Tomorrow's final schedule will go out to the racers during pilot briefs. I would hope it would be moved to the last slot of the day.

Comment

If anyone finds out tomorrow morning when the silver heat will be can they post it in this thread? I'll be heading down at my normal time hoping that it's the gold time slot, but it would be nice to know or not for sure.
            Tom

Comment

They just finished the silver. Is there going to be a gold race later? Or is that it for the Unlimiteds today?
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                They just finished the silver. Is there going to be a gold race later? Or is that it for the Unlimiteds today?
                That's it for the unlimiteds today. No Gold until Saturday. Just listened to the silver race on the live audio feed. Nice to hear, but wow, the announcing keeps getting worse every year. So many factual errors, although I did hear my first "the bad boys of air racing"!

Comment

That really sucks, especially since I'm only here today.
                  Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                    Nice to hear, but wow, the announcing keeps getting worse every year. So many factual errors, although I did hear my first "the bad boys of air racing"!
                    LOL... for the last 17 or so years, I've not really spent much time in range of the speakers, this year, I'm spending most of my time between the pits and the GA section. Listened to the announcer stuff today and was actually impressed. I did hear one error, however, there is no such thing as a "former astronaut" If you are one, you are always one.. Curt Brown told me about this many years ago.. so I always try to let folks know.. there is no such thing. It is, however, an honest mistake1
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, I just made it back home after spending the day with my family at Stead, having been absent from the races since 2010. I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! We are so very fortunate that we still have the races to take our kids to. My boys are still young, so the day was a bit much for them, but they sure enjoyed it (not as much as their dad though!)
                      I do have to say though that I was disappointed that there was only one unlimited race. I'm not sure what happened to the Bronze race in the AM. I was aware of the Silver replacing the Gold, but what happened with the Bronze?

Having said that, we enjoyed all the races today, not just the heavy iron of the unlimiteds. We were out early this AM and caught everything from the first biplane race on. All in all is was a great day of air racin'!!

Comment

Originally posted by N29131 View Post
                        Well, I just made it back home after spending the day with my family at Stead, having been absent from the races since 2010. I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! We are so very fortunate that we still have the races to take our kids to. My boys are still young, so the day was a bit much for them, but they sure enjoyed it (not as much as their dad though!)
                        I do have to say though that I was disappointed that there was only one unlimited race. I'm not sure what happened to the Bronze race in the AM. I was aware of the Silver replacing the Gold, but what happened with the Bronze?

Having said that, we enjoyed all the races today, not just the heavy iron of the unlimiteds. We were out early this AM and caught everything from the first biplane race on. All in all is was a great day of air racin'!!
                        The silver didn't "replace" the gold. The field is only 2/3 full so they can only race 2 races, that being silver and gold. Bronze wasn't even a question this year as only 14 planes are present. All of the planes that were in the silver today are your stockers of this year (besides Strega or course). That being said there is a silver and gold race and NOT a bronze because of the amount of Unlimiteds. Hope that clarifies it?
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Yes that does clarify things. I appreciate it!

Like I said, I was very disapponted that they only ran 1 unlimited race, but the rest of the races were great fun, so all in all, is was a fun day to be back in Stead!

Comment

I'm glad the wife and I made it out for the races in the late -oughts, when the last of the old-timers were still at the stick. Personally, I doubt NCAR will ever fully recover from '11.

Doc Hisey got DQ'd for high-sticking -- how did [I]that /I] happen? He's no slob!

$

Click image for larger version

Name:	043 Pardue's short-fin F8F-1, Reno '06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	227339
                            "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                            Martin Caidin

Comment

Working...
                            X