Looking for horsepower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for horsepower?

the mechanics were testing the mag. some wires may be grounding. crew member pointed out that that big 3350 mated to a racing cowling makes a lot of heat. no room to vent the heat out of there. some cylinders a little loose from running hot last year. learning curve with new team possibly at play as well. What strikes me as almost comical is the number of crew members swarming all over Rare Bear and not one mechanic servicing Sept. Fury yet 232 runs a 480! I was told the 3350 in Rare Bear has way more trick parts in her from different aircraft than 232 which explains why she is so temperamental! I wish we could see the Bear run at or near max power just one more time! Every year it's something. No wonder Rod has been talking about parking her in the Smithsonian. We need Mel and Lyle! They are the only ones that have a history of exorcising the demons out of the beast!

Comment

The Smithsonian already has their racing Bearcat...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        The Smithsonian already has their racing Bearcat...
        Great to have two then. Both of them record holders.
        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
          the new intake cost about 6-8"
          Oh, my wife would not be happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
            Great to have two then. Both of them record holders.
            That's funny, seems if you look up the records now, Rare Bear is no longer on the official list- something about a Russian plane and Will Whiteside?

Comment

I'm curious as to the definition of "loose" cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                I'm curious as to the definition of "loose" cylinders.
                I guess you would get a loose definition?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, wondering why a cylinder would be left loose-then it occurred to me that they might mean loose tolerances piston/liner etc due to getting hot? Seems like all that would have been looked at though in the off-season.

Comment

Just courious, when did the power get lost?

Someone said they did testing in Texas, you know, the paper work sumited to RARA and the FAA after all of its major mods, that its been operated at max power?

Hope it didn't fall of the low bed on the long ride back to Stead.
                    Last edited by Dialtapper; 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                      That's funny, seems if you look up the records now, Rare Bear is no longer on the official list- something about a Russian plane and Will Whiteside?
                      As it was explained to us Lyle will now forever hold the records, but that they were retired due to a change in the way the records are now being set. The altitude restrictions, and the actual methods of timing have been changed for safety concerns. So even though Lyle's World Records are retired they are still the record under the old rules. They were retired NOT disallowed. So if you want to be the World's fastest in the 3Km you had better exceed 528.329 MPH + 1% or there will be an * next to the record.
                      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                        As it was explained to us Lyle will now forever hold the records, but that they were retired due to a change in the way the records are now being set. The altitude restrictions, and the actual methods of timing have been changed for safety concerns. So even though Lyle's World Records are retired they are still the record under the old rules. They were retired NOT disallowed. So if you want to be the World's fastest in the 3Km you had better exceed 528.329 MPH + 1% or there will be an * next to the record.
                        As I have said before, "When men were men and **** was real"

Comment

As I have said before, "When men were men and **** was real"
                          AMEN to that...

Comment

Why did they change the rulings? Did Greenamyer not break Fritz Wendel's record now or what? What about Hinton in the Red Baron? I'm so confused.
                            "Everything changes, nothing stays the same."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
                              Why did they change the rulings? Did Greenamyer not break Fritz Wendel's record now or what? What about Hinton in the Red Baron? I'm so confused.
                              "Everything changes, nothing stays the same."
                              FAI Decided to break the records (3k, 15k, time to climb etc) into many different weight classes. They also made the way the data was collected different, it used to be cameras, now it is GPS, they adjusted the corridor/altitude restrictions. It used to be rather narrow/low in order for the cameras to work. Now with GPS it has been relaxed quite a bit which makes things a lot easier.

BellCobraIV I am sure was there in 89 and knows a lot more details on what went down. Still not easy but nothing like it was.

Lyle's 3k and Time-to-Climb will stand forever since the rules have changed as well as Frank Taylor's 15k. To make them null and void would be just plain wrong. And to say they are beaten under new rules would be at the least unfair.
                              Therefore they were "retired" but are still an amazing feat.

And to the question of records prior to Lyle's those still stand as beaten under the old rules, but they still stand.
                              Last edited by ChrisMX105; 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

FAI Decided to break the records (3k, 15k, time to climb etc) into many different weight classes. They also made the way the data was collected different, it used to be cameras, now it is GPS, they adjusted the corridor/altitude restrictions. It used to be rather narrow/low in order for the cameras to work. Now with GPS it has been relaxed quite a bit which makes things a lot easier.

BellCobraIV I am sure was there in 89 and knows a lot more details on what went down. Still not easy but nothing like it was.

Lyle's 3k and Time-to-Climb will stand forever since the rules have changed as well as Frank Taylor's 15k. To make them null and void would be just plain wrong. And to say they are beaten under new rules would be at the least unfair.
                                Therefore they were "retired" but are still an amazing feat.

And to the question of records prior to Lyle's those still stand as beaten under the old rules, but they still stand.
                                That's correct, under the new rules Lyle would have set the 15 Km World Record in 1972 at Palm Springs. They could verify where he was with the radar vectors, however he could never get the Bearcat over the analog cameras in the frames. The speed was there, but the record was not.

The 3 Km record with Lyle was the second most amazing day of my life.
                                John Slack

Comment

Working...
                                X