Looking for horsepower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for horsepower?

Stew Dawson keeps saying that The Bear is down in power and they are looking for it. I'm sure I'm not the only one to ponder what that actually means... How do they "search" for extra horsepower? Where would that come from? Hope they can get it sorted by Sunday at the latest. Today or tomorrow would he great
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Looking for horsepower?

Originally posted by Bigger Al
    My guess is that it's in one of the sand bags they've got in the truck.
    Started to think that after I posted it.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Oh, but I bet the CHT's are sure cool...

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
        Power = Heat
        No Power, No Heat.
        Interesting approach to a complex problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
          Power = Heat
          No Power, No Heat.
          I know a guy who would tell you "it goes up by the square root of this and 10th power of that" (or something similar)- I never was good with goesintas and goesoutas, meself.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Stew Dawson keeps saying that The Bear is down in power and they are looking for it. I'm sure I'm not the only one to ponder what that actually means... How do they "search" for extra horsepower? Where would that come from? Hope they can get it sorted by Sunday at the latest. Today or tomorrow would he great
            I think people try to read too much into the expressions "down on power" or "searching for power." It simply means something is malfunctioning that is causing the engine to produce less power than it should- it happens every day in racing vehicles, and for that matter millions of times per day in street cars (but most people just never notice because they aren't being asked for maximum power all the time). It can mean any of a gadzillion different things, ranging from ignition timing being a little off, spark being weak, plugs slightly fouled and misfiring under high manifold pressure, mixture being wrong, induction leaks, ADI flow rate off, ram rise from the new scoop not being as expected (unless that was sorted out during testing and there's been a change since then). It can also be much more serious stuff like valves or rings not sealing correctly, a clearance being wrong in the blower section (I think there was a big "aha!" moment with that in the Bear 10 or so years ago), or something actually being harder to turn in the engine, converting power into heat through friction. Something as complex as a racing engine is not just "it runs or it doesn't" there are infinite levels of "run" between "runs perfectl" and "barely runs at all." Especially an 18-cylinder 36 spark plug forced induction ADI-fed unmuffled beast that's essentially one-of-a-kind.

Basically, it just means "she's not doing what we expect, and we're trying to find what is out of adjustment or broken."

Comment

I heard the stock exhaust is back on and it cost 300 plus HP.

$$

Comment

I Know! I Know! Just open the tweedle valve 10 more turns! Works every time!!!!!!

Comment

Look at the bright side, guys. Fifth place will be an improvement over last year's 6th place D.Q.
                  Now thats progress!

Comment

I Know! I Know! Just open the tweedle valve 10 more turns! Works every time!!!!!!
                    You're assuming there still is one.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                      Power = Heat
                      No Power, No Heat.
                      Seems to me, the Bear went plenty fast in years prior... without melting down cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                        Seems to me, the Bear went plenty fast in years prior... without melting down cylinders.
                        I thought so, too.
                        Does that mean we are both wrong?!

Comment

Originally posted by bikenutty View Post

$$
                          More like 400.

And the new intake cost about 6-8"

Comment

Originally posted by bikenutty View Post

$$
                            Except there is nothing "stock" about the exhaust for a 3350 on a Bearcat.

From what I can tell, they've abandoned the scavenging effect of paired exhaust and went with individual tubes for each cylinder...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                              Except there is nothing "stock" about the exhaust for a 3350 on a Bearcat.

From what I can tell, they've abandoned the scavenging effect of paired exhaust and went with individual tubes for each cylinder...
                              Probably very similar to what is used on a 3350 Sea Fury.

Comment

Working...
                              X